St. Petersburg?

Old November 13th, 2003, 10:39 PM
Lola

Default St. Petersburg?

My boyfriend has an in through his office to some very affordable
tickets to St. Petersburg -- as long as you travel by the end of
March.

Anyone been there? Will we freeze if we go in the winter?

Would love to hear from someone who knows the ropes.
Old November 13th, 2003, 11:36 PM
mrtravel

Lola wrote:

My boyfriend has an in through his office to some very affordable
tickets to St. Petersburg -- as long as you travel by the end of
March.

Anyone been there? Will we freeze if we go in the winter?

So wait until near the end of March. The weather in the Tampa-St
Petersburg area can be quite nice then.

If you are talking about the former Leningrad, then you will be able to
get a nice hotel room with heat and you won't freeze.

Old November 13th, 2003, 11:50 PM
Eric Toline

St. Petersburg?

Group: rec.travel.air Date: Thu, Nov 13, 2003, 1:39pm (EST-3) From:
(Lola)

My boyfriend has an in through his office to some very affordable
tickets to St. Petersburg -- as long as you travel by the end of March.
Anyone been there? Will we freeze if we go in the winter?

depends if you mean St. Petersburg, Florida or Russia.

Old November 14th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Mike Cordelli

Any post around here has been upsetting recently, don't take it personally.

Head on over to:

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/26063.html

and there is a link for history and almanac. Put in a few dates around the
time you are looking to and you will see that in March it can still be quite
cold over there, last year in March it hovered around freezing most of the
month according to the site.

It's a great city, and if you don't mind the cold (ever been to Boston in
Feb? St Petersburg in March seems balmy) and the fare is good I would say go
for it. Nothing will be crowded, but the down side is they won't be geared
up for tourists yet either.

"Lola" wrote in message
om...
Gosh...didn't mean to upset anyone. I was referencing Russia. If
it's not something the board wants to discuss, guess I'll just go buy
a Fodor's guide : )

jcoulter wrote in message

. 76.16...
(Lola) wrote in news:9508a051.0311131339.6f0a4538
@posting.google.com:

My boyfriend has an in through his office to some very affordable
tickets to St. Petersburg -- as long as you travel by the end of
March.

Anyone been there?

Several people and a few even live there.

Will we freeze if we go in the winter?

Only if you sleep outside without covering yoruself (and if it is the
Russian one)

Would love to hear from someone who knows the ropes.

Seriously, I have about had it with all of the "Has anyone ever"
questions on usenet. The answer to all of them is "Yes"

Old November 14th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Eryk

Lola,

Anyone been there? Will we freeze if we go in the winter?

Yes, you will 'freeze' in the sense that you'll encounter temperatures below
zero on a regular basis. Having said that, the city is 'designed' around
that fact so there is nothing much to worry about besides your own clothing
being appropriate. You are outside of the main tourist season so you might
encounter some places being closed for maintenance etc. however much of
Sankt Petersburg's cultural life is year round so there will still be lots
to see and do. Be aware that you need a visa (assuming you're an American)
and that you need an invitation from a Russian business, tourist agency or
individual to secure that (most larger hotels can do it for you). You also
need to register your visa with the authorities but, again, hotels are all
used to doing that. Learn Cyrillic before you go. Even if you cannot speak a
word of Russian if you can read the alphabet you'll be able to 'decode' at
least some of the signs.

Eryk

---

Old November 15th, 2003, 12:59 AM
mrtravel

Lola wrote:

Gosh...didn't mean to upset anyone. I was referencing Russia. If
it's not something the board wants to discuss, guess I'll just go buy
a Fodor's guide : )

What do you want to discuss. It is an air travel forum.
rec.travel.europe would be a better place.

Why would you freeze???
Do you not know how to dress for the winter?
It's going to be cold. Did you not know this?

Old November 15th, 2003, 01:00 AM
mrtravel

Mike Cordelli wrote:

It's a great city, and if you don't mind the cold (ever been to Boston in
Feb? St Petersburg in March seems balmy) and the fare is good I would say go
for it. Nothing will be crowded, but the down side is they won't be geared
up for tourists yet either.

And she will miss the White Nights.