I'd like to take my bicycle to Morocco....

Old January 24th, 2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat[_4_]

Default I'd like to take my bicycle to Morocco....

I would appreciate any comments from people who have something to say on the
topic---specifically, routes, things to avoid, possibilities of camping,
etc. Marrouch, can you tell me about cycling in Morocco?

thanks,

Pat

Old January 25th, 2007, 03:20 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marie-Aude

Le Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:32:46 -0600, Pat a écrit :

I would appreciate any comments from people who have something to say on the
topic---specifically, routes, things to avoid, possibilities of camping,
etc. Marrouch, can you tell me about cycling in Morocco?

thanks,

Pat

Roads in Morocco are dangerous for cars, pedestrians and bicycle... at
least the ones with a lot of traffic.

I would never ever cycle in the cities, or on the main roads, too much
traffic, and unless you're used to Moroccan driving (have you already been
to north africa or asia, to have an idea ?) awfully stressing.
On small roads, most of them are not in good state. Nevertheless, there is
some cycling touring, in some areas. Usually locally organized, with
support.

Camping... well, I would also avoid. At least in organized camping places.
Either for "mass tourism" along the coast, or quite primitive. "Fixed
bivvy" as they are called in Morocco are nice for a night or two, but,
unless very expensive, they are in general without showers, and with very
rudimentary toilets. Inns are not that expensive, and already better
equipped.

If you want to camp by your own, you'll have to transport your water, and
it might generate a lot of curiosity, it's quite unusual. But that can also
be a good way to get in touch with people

--
Marie-Aude
www.trassagere.com
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:56 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
RAK

"Pat" wrote in message
I would appreciate any comments from people who have something to say on
the topic---specifically, routes, things to avoid, possibilities of
camping, etc. Marrouch, can you tell me about cycling in Morocco?

thanks,

Pat

You might find something here http://www.tomthepom.org.uk/
Tom is a British guy who just finished cycling solo from London to Cape
Town. He went through Morocco.
I met him in Namibia. He seemed very relaxed about what to me was a huge &
tough trip. Nice guy.