What countries have the best exchange rate for the dollar?

Old October 6th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Christopher

Default What countries have the best exchange rate for the dollar?

The 'exchange rate' has nothing to do with anything here - it is the cost of
living that is important.

"Tom Keener" wrote in message

I'm planning on traveling the world over the next year.....
One of my criteria is to travel to countries that have a good exchange

rate
with the US dollar. That way I can get more for my dollar.

What a sad criteria to use for a world trip.
You must be american

Hey, if he lives on the local economy and only stops at Niger, Chad,
Angola, and Bangladesh, his money will go a _long_ way. For someone
so concerned with economy, he'd deserve that trip.

Old October 6th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Spehro Pefhany

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:45:15 +0000 (UTC), the renowned "Christopher"
wrote:

The 'exchange rate' has nothing to do with anything here - it is the cost of
living that is important.

Closer, but it's the cost of living *for a visitor* of the OP's
specific type.

If the locals subsist on little but mashed taro root and sleep in
squalid, filthy and unhealthy conditions unacceptable to the OP, he
might find a place with an apparent low cost of living to be
relatively very expensive. If the government forces foreigners to pay
much more for many things, regulates where they can stay overnight and
what price they must pay, requires some shops to deny them service
without ration cards, or the forces them to exchange money
"officially" at a very unfavorable rate, the same result can occur.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old October 6th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Tom Keener

wrote:

The 'exchange rate' has nothing to do with anything here - it is the cost of
living that is important.

Closer, but it's the cost of living *for a visitor* of the OP's
specific type.

If the locals subsist on little but mashed taro root and sleep in
squalid, filthy and unhealthy conditions unacceptable to the OP, he
might find a place with an apparent low cost of living to be
relatively very expensive. If the government forces foreigners to pay
much more for many things, regulates where they can stay overnight and
what price they must pay, requires some shops to deny them service
without ration cards, or the forces them to exchange money
"officially" at a very unfavorable rate, the same result can occur.

True, but even when that occurs, sometimes it's possible to enjoy a
very cheap trip. For example, Burma. It's been 18 years since I was
there, but in spite of the government control, it was dirt cheap. And
a great place to visit, too.

Old October 7th, 2003, 03:54 PM
tom keener

wrote:

[...]

WHY BOTHER COMING BACK WHEN ALL YOU DO IS GET IN THE WAY?
Old October 7th, 2003, 03:55 PM
tom keener

Tom Keener wrote in message . ..
I'm planning on traveling the world over the next year.....
One of my criteria is to travel to countries that have a good exchange rate
with the US dollar. That way I can get more for my dollar.

What a sad criteria to use for a world trip.
You must be american

Hey, if he lives on the local economy and only stops at Niger, Chad,
Angola, and Bangladesh, his money will go a _long_ way. For someone
so concerned with economy, he'd deserve that trip.

TELL HIM TO VISIT GERMANY. YOU CAN SHOW HIM HOW TO SHOPLIFT FOR FUN AND PROFIT.
Old October 31st, 2003, 08:55 PM
tom keener

wrote:

[...]

GOD, AIN'T IT GREAT. NO MORE MR. WEENERS. GOOD RIDDANCE.

Where, or where, has little tommy keener gone? Gee Whiz!