Broadband (DSL cable) in Nairobi Kenya?

Old November 19th, 2006, 09:39 AM posted to soc.culture.kenya,rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

Default Broadband (DSL cable) in Nairobi Kenya?

Hi, I might be moving to Nairobi and I wanted to look into the
possibility of broadband access in my apartment. I talked to one person
who has some sort of paid wifi access for a friggin $200/mo and it is
really slow (glacial). When i was doing some work in one of the
districts a fairly knowledgeable person told me they would be getting
DSL so i figure Nairobi has to have something (for a reasonable cost)
but i can't find anyone who seems to know about that kind of thing (a
popular reply is "just go to a cyber cafe" [grrrr]).

Any help would really be appreciated,

Cheers

-Gaiko

Old November 19th, 2006, 03:01 PM posted to soc.culture.kenya,rec.travel.africa
Johan W. Elzenga

wrote:

Hi, I might be moving to Nairobi and I wanted to look into the
possibility of broadband access in my apartment. I talked to one person
who has some sort of paid wifi access for a friggin $200/mo and it is
really slow (glacial). When i was doing some work in one of the
districts a fairly knowledgeable person told me they would be getting
DSL so i figure Nairobi has to have something (for a reasonable cost)
but i can't find anyone who seems to know about that kind of thing (a
popular reply is "just go to a cyber cafe" [grrrr]).

Any help would really be appreciated,

Why would you need internet at all, if you don't even know how to find
something in Google? ;-)

http://www.google.com/search?q=nairobi%20adsl

gives you as first hit:

http://www.iconnect.co.ke/html/adsl.html

--
Johan W. Elzenga johanatjohanfoto.nl
Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
Old November 20th, 2006, 07:57 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Internet access anywhere n Africa is expensive. Please bear in mind
that a European or Amrican understanding of the term "broadband" is
VERY different from what you will get in Africa.

For example, I have wireless broadband at home (South Africa) with a
company called iBurst. It costs me around $90 per month and I get a
download speed of 1MB/sec with a monthly cap of 1GB. You can probably
get this sort of service free with every Big Mac in the UK ;-)

In East Africa, this sort of access will cost at least twice what it
costs me here. The reason is that there is only a small demand for
that type of service, so service providers have to charge more.

You can go for the satellite option (either RBGAN or VSAT), but be
prepared for MUCH more money each month.

Marc

Old November 20th, 2006, 09:39 AM posted to soc.culture.kenya,rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
wrote:

Hi, I might be moving to Nairobi and I wanted to look into the
possibility of broadband access in my apartment. I talked to one person
who has some sort of paid wifi access for a friggin $200/mo and it is
really slow (glacial). When i was doing some work in one of the
districts a fairly knowledgeable person told me they would be getting
DSL so i figure Nairobi has to have something (for a reasonable cost)
but i can't find anyone who seems to know about that kind of thing (a
popular reply is "just go to a cyber cafe" [grrrr]).

Any help would really be appreciated,

Why would you need internet at all, if you don't even know how to find
something in Google? ;-)

Hmmm, did you look at iconnect rates? They are the $200+ kind of rates
i was reffering to. I should have mentioned it but i did google "dsl
nairobi" and got very few relevant hits, and none of them for rates
under $100/mo.

Old November 21st, 2006, 12:41 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

right now i'm working in rural kenya and if you manage to find a place
with a telephone socket. you can get a 128kbps download dsl line for
about 80 USD.