Africa on Google Maps!

Old November 13th, 2006, 01:05 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Scott[_1_]

Default Africa on Google Maps!

Hi,

I have just noticed that Google Maps now offers detailed road maps in
many countries in Africa. I have discovered very detailed city maps
for:

- Johannesburg, South Africa
- Cairo, Egypt
- Casablanca, Morocco
- Rabat, Morocco
- Alger, Algeria
- Tripoli, Libya
- Rabat, Morocco
- Tunis, Tunisia

Questions
1) Has anyone else discovered detailed coverage in Africa.
2) I think AND is the supplier of this data, can anybody confirm this?

Thanks,
Scott

Old November 13th, 2006, 04:22 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Seesawseen

That's beautiful, i can finally travel trough africa before becomming
lost

i have looked on http://worldviewer.and.com/world.aspx that is a site
of AND where they put their data on. that confirms that they have the
data.
but i am not sure.

Greetz arjan

Old November 14th, 2006, 04:41 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

Scott wrote:
Hi,

I have just noticed that Google Maps now offers detailed road maps in
many countries in Africa. I have discovered very detailed city maps
for:

- Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi Scott -- FYI the city maps on Google Maps are *NOT* detailed. They
show only major roads.

The provider of detailed map data to Garmin and the lead provider of
data from South Africa is Map Studio (www.mapstudio.co.za). They seem
to cover southern Africa with detailed online maps free, but then print
maps for the rest of Africa.

They have precise street-level maps of southern Africa. An easier
interface to use is at www.easymap.co.za

HTH

Kurt

Old November 14th, 2006, 08:19 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

With all due respect to Google maps for a mammoth task they have
undertaken, the maps they do have of Africa are essentially quite
unimpressive.

They only show major routes. I use the Michelin 953/954 etc. paper
maps for this purpose. They are far easier to carry around than a PC,
and FAR faster to navigate and plot routes etc.

For Southern Africa, Map Studio do an excellent range of printed maps.
I have their spiral bound complete map book that covers the whole of
sub-Saharan Africa and also contains major city maps. They're not
highly detailed, but are accurate enough to find your way around these
cities. Most African cities are not particularly complicated to
navigate in, with the obvious exceptions of Johannesburg, Lagos,
Cairo, Luanda, and Nairobi.

In South Africa I have a Garmin Nuvi with SA maps. I have found it to
be a marvelous tool, but it is essentially useless anywhere else in
Africa.

Regards,
Marc

Old November 17th, 2006, 12:07 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Scott[_1_]

Hi Arjan,

Thanks for your message. I just saw on their website that they are
indeed the supplier of the maps in Google. You can find the news in
the case studies at www.and.com.

Thanks,
Scott

Old November 26th, 2006, 03:35 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Robbie

The data is supplied be Tracks4Africa. A South Africa company that
contributors supply the data from their recordings of driving over
roads, highways and yes tracks-many remote tracks. The detail is mostly
in the Southern part of Africa, but is being added to daily.
www.Tracks4Africa.com The detail you can see by zooming in. More then
Mapstudio has by a long shot. On the other hand, Mapstudio does have
better coverage in other parts of Africa. Nothing to go off road with.
I know as I have used their maps, and they ain't that good for detail
or remote tracks.

The T4A maps are meant for navigation in Garmin gps's. Publishing their
maps on GE is lucky for people who like to plan their overland routes
on their pc or for the upmarket crowd who like to see where they are
going on safari. And they know it is accurate as much as you can
translate it into a GE map.

As time goes by, I understand that T4A will be updating the
information-- adding tracks and poi's.

Robbie

Old November 30th, 2006, 10:32 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Scott[_1_]

Hi,

Thanks for all your comments and remarkts.
Does anybody know if and when they will add the info to Google Earth?

Scott

Old November 30th, 2006, 10:32 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Scott[_1_]

Hi,

Thanks for all your comments and remarks.