They changed the name of Atlanta International Airport.

Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:41 PM
James Anatidae

Default They changed the name of Atlanta International Airport.

I think it's a rather dumb idea. The airport has been plain Hartfield for
over twenty years. Jackson is getting his name put on the new terminal,
isn't that enough?

---

Atlanta Adds Name of First Black Mayor to Airport
Mon Oct 20, 6:39 PM ET

By Paul Simao

ATLANTA (Reuters) - Atlanta's political leaders voted on Monday to add the
name of the city's first black mayor to the main airport, capping a racially
tinged debate over the issue in the once-segregated Southern city.

In a 12-2 vote, Atlanta's City Council agreed to rename the airport
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport in honor of former Mayor
Maynard Jackson.

A new $982 million international terminal will also be named for Jackson,
who died unexpectedly last summer.

Adoption of the hyphenated name was a compromise between some blacks on City
Council who wanted to strip the Hartsfield name entirely and several white
council members who felt naming the international terminal for Jackson was
enough. Blacks form a majority on the Georgia capital's City Council.

A petition in favor of putting Jackson's name on the airport received more
than 50,000 signatures.

"The resolution that was passed, I believe, is an honorable and fitting
tribute to both Maynard and Mayor Hartsfield," said Valerie Jackson, who
initially favored renaming the airport entirely for her husband.

Jackson, a Democrat who in 1973 became the first black elected to run
Atlanta, is credited with helping to expand the airport and make it one of
the busiest in the world.

He also is remembered for helping black and other minority businesses get a
healthy share of contracts at the airport and within the city, which is
considered the home of the civil rights movement.

Some whites grumbled that Atlanta's black community was degrading the memory
of William Hartsfield in a rush to honor Jackson.

Hartsfield, who was white, was Atlanta's longest-serving mayor and is often
cited as the father of commercial aviation in the city. He served from 1937
to 1940 and again from 1942 through 1961.

At the end of his last term, Hartsfield opened what was then the nation's
largest single air terminal. The airport was renamed for him in 1980.

His relatives adamantly opposed the most recent change on Monday. "The
airport already has a name and we feel it should remain Hartsfield," Dale
Hartsfield, a family spokesman, said in a public hearing shortly before the
vote.

--
http://anatidae.homestead.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:James_Anatidae

Old November 3rd, 2003, 10:04 PM
mrtravel

James Anatidae wrote:

I think it's a rather dumb idea. The airport has been plain Hartfield for
over twenty years. Jackson is getting his name put on the new terminal,
isn't that enough?

Agreed.... At about $1 Billion, I would think that would be enough.
Afterall Hartsfield was the longest serving mayor and the father of
Atlanta commerical aviation.

Old November 4th, 2003, 02:15 AM
Mike Dobony

"James Anatidae" wrote in message
[...]

Guess that settles it there, doesn't it. Cry-baby Dems throw a temper
tantrum and everybody gives in. I say just change their diaper.

Old November 4th, 2003, 05:26 AM
Miguel Cruz

Mike Dobony wrote:
Guess that settles it there, doesn't it. Cry-baby Dems throw a temper
tantrum and everybody gives in. I say just change their diaper.

We'll talk terms once the Republicans have unnamed at least a handful of the
things they've named after Reagan in Washington, DC, a town where the man
and his memory are largely reviled, and where the name comes off as a slap
in the face of local residents by Congress.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old November 4th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Mark Hewitt

"James Anatidae" wrote in message
I think it's a rather dumb idea. The airport has been plain Hartfield for
over twenty years. Jackson is getting his name put on the new terminal,
isn't that enough?

This seems to be quite a common thing in America, to name airports after
people rather than places?

What exactly would be wrong with calling it "Atlanta International Airport"
?

Old November 4th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Howard Long

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

This seems to be quite a common thing in America, to name airports after
people rather than places?

What exactly would be wrong with calling it "Atlanta International

Airport"
?

To pretty much everyone outside the US it _is_ "Atlanta International
Airport" because neither Hartsfield nor Jackson has any meaning for them.
Indeed, I've travelled through ATL maybe fifty times (including twice last
weekend) and I always assumed until the original post that Hartsfield was
the area around the airport.

So, thanks for the education!

This is perhaps a moot point, because as a Londoner I have no idea where the
areas of Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted are, other than near their respective
airports. These airports are undoutedly much larger now than the places that
they take their names from.

Kind Regards, Howard

Old November 4th, 2003, 12:49 PM
ThrashATL

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Mike Dobony wrote:
Guess that settles it there, doesn't it. Cry-baby Dems throw a temper
tantrum and everybody gives in. I say just change their diaper.

We'll talk terms once the Republicans have unnamed at least a handful of the
things they've named after Reagan in Washington, DC, a town where the man
and his memory are largely reviled, and where the name comes off as a slap
in the face of local residents by Congress.

miguel

You know a good WHORE HOUSE in DC we can name after Clintoon?

Old November 4th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Mark Hewitt

"ThrashATL" wrote in message
ink.net...

You know a good WHORE HOUSE in DC we can name after Clintoon?

Well Baltimore-Washington is still named after the local area! Can't have
that. Change the name, quick!

Old November 4th, 2003, 01:03 PM
None

"ThrashATL" wrote in message
ink.net...

You know a good WHORE HOUSE in DC we can name after Clintoon?

You rode the "special bus" to school, didn't you.

Old November 4th, 2003, 06:33 PM
me

Mike Dobony wrote:
Guess that settles it there, doesn't it. Cry-baby Dems throw a temper
tantrum and everybody gives in. I say just change their diaper.

We'll talk terms once the Republicans have unnamed at least a handful of the
things they've named after Reagan in Washington, DC, a town where the man
and his memory are largely reviled, and where the name comes off as a slap
in the face of local residents by Congress.

miguel

You know a good WHORE HOUSE in DC we can name after Clintoon?

310 First Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003