Why do people live in Florida?

Old September 9th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Rudy

8. Poontang.

and if you look hard, you can find a one under 75 yrs old and help her
spend her Social Security check ! !

Old September 9th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Rudy

Old September 9th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Gunner

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:56:25 -0400, "clint"
wrote:

Isn't this slightly OT!

Yes? So? This is the internet for Zoobs sake (may his slime be
blessed)

"Stoobie" ten.tsacmoc@4zboots wrote in message
Go Canes 8)

"StuGotts" wrote in message

Oops! I guess you Ivy League types (ROFLMFAO) don't follow sports very
closely. If you did, you would know that... since the turn of the
century... those 2 schools are 0-8 vs the University of Miami.

Stu

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by
the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked
out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman
Liebmann

Old September 9th, 2004, 09:41 AM
AC

And you probably need a little statistics explained to you.

Just how significant do you think your sample of 4-5 standing houses out of
the houses in all of Florida is? eh?

Not very.

"IN-10-CITY" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 19:04:11 -0400, puzzled wrote:

A massive hurricane seems to hit Florida every few years. I really don't
understand why people continue to live there. Don't they get tired of

having
to evacuate every summer, and having their houses destroyed? Someone

explain
this to me.

Funny, I've lived in Florida for 41 years, and the 4 or 5 houses that
I've lived in are all still standing. The Carolinas have gotten hit
more than we have, and they still have to deal with winter. I'd like
to know where you live bozo.

You probably need a lot explained to you.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a

capital punishment for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the

problem solve itself?

Old September 9th, 2004, 11:03 AM
R M

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 13:23:08 -0400, Budman
wrote:

The Brothers Bush had the monopoly a few years back with Dubya in
Texas and Jeb in Florida. How's that for compassionate conservatism
:-)

Seems their constituents liked em. They kept getting voted back into
office. Still do too. G

Works for me, they just take too damn long too execute them. They knew the
rules and chose to play. People seem to forget that the criminal is not the
victim and execution is a punishment not a deterrent.

Old September 9th, 2004, 11:04 AM
DBM

Begin Quote from a post by 'AC'...

"...Just how significant do you think your sample of 4-5 standing
houses out of the houses in all of Florida is?..."

End Quote...

Actually, it may be HIGHLY SIGNIFICANT, **IF** the 4 or 5 houses were
among the only ones left standing in a neighbourhood devastated by
Hurricanes and/or storms...

REALITY CHECK - News footage of the devastation showed homes that were
still standing, apparently UNTOUCHED amidst the debris of other homes.
They still had their roofs intact, while the 'house next door' was a
pile of trash...

How could that be?

Answer? Better design, higher quality of construction, and better
quality of construction materials in the surviving buildings!

Then again, many of the 'destroyed' structures were 'demountable' or
'trailer' homes. Now, I'm NOT slagging off 'trailer homes', but from
the number of caravan and camping shows I've been to, I know for a
fact that some 'demountable homes' are little more than up-market
caravans - flimsy at best. But SOME 'demountable' homes are far more
robust, and if set up properly, would require far worse weather to
damage them than their 'flimsier' counterparts.

Perhaps 'IN-10-CITY' just has a good eye for a well-built building,
one developed over 41 years?

REALITY CHECK - A news show in Australia did a special on what happens
'after the storms'. In particular, repairing damage done by storms.
The house they used had a rafter that broke under the impact of tree
falling against the house. The rafter 'broke' rather spectacularly at
a prominent 'knothole' in the beam. Any good woodworker can tell you
that knots mark a weak point in wood, and timber used for house roofs
SHOULD NOT have knots in it!

To put that in perspective, when I go past a modern 'building site'
these days I see timber with lots of 'knots' in it... even 'five foot'
lengths may have multiple knots! When I check out the roof space and
underfloor space of 'Old Queenslanders', I often see wood WITHOUT any
knots in it - despite the beams being twenty or more feet long!

The price of houses has gone up. Mortgage interest rates are just one
more reason to make a building as cheaply as possible. Whereas in the
'old days' a cheap house meant a strong shell that had no carpet,
plaster, etc (these could always be added later), 'modern' times
demand a fully finished 'luxurious' appearance to entice buyers.

After seeing some of the wood used on 'modern' construction sites, I
cannot help but wonder how well those homes will fare in a bad storm,
let alone a Hurricane.

If anyone else on the newsgroup has any info, news, or anecdotes for
or against the view above, I'd like to hear it.

--
Yours, DBM -
From Somewhere in Australia, the Land of Tree-Hugging Funnelwebs...

Old September 9th, 2004, 11:08 AM
R M

Gunner,
This may have been asked before but with your views (which i seem to
agree with) why are you living in the bastion of Liberalism and Utopians?

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:31:22 -0400, Tutor wrote:

Terry Gowan wrote:

Hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes and ice storms. They're all useful

in
cleaing out the gene pool. The people I least understand are the
Californians that re-build their homes on the side of a mud-sliding
mountain.

Terry Gowan

Not to mention having the nation's 3rd largest death row
population. THat should help filter the gene pool abit. Although
it doesn't seem to work in Texas

Unfortuately we here in California dont use it enough to get a good
start on gene pool cleansing.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke