Alaska: Summer camping or September hotel ?

Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Alaska: Summer camping or September hotel ?

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Alaska in 2007. I have seen several great
tours which involve either summer camping (July and August) or are
hotel-based (first 2 weeks of September). Which would be the best ? I
would like to avoid the mosquitoes and tourists as much as possible,
and hopefully see the Northern Lights, whilst having a decent weather.
I am looking for anyone who has experience camping in Alaska in the
summer: is it cold at night and is there a lot of rain? Does anyone
know what is the weather like early September ? Any response would
help me make my decision, since it is a big trip (I am based in
Belgium, Europe) and would like to make the right decision.

Thanks !

Marianne

Old September 3rd, 2006, 04:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_1_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am planning a trip to Alaska in 2007. I have seen several great
tours which involve either summer camping (July and August) or are
hotel-based (first 2 weeks of September). Which would be the best ? I
would like to avoid the mosquitoes and tourists as much as possible,
and hopefully see the Northern Lights, whilst having a decent weather.
I am looking for anyone who has experience camping in Alaska in the
summer: is it cold at night and is there a lot of rain? Does anyone
know what is the weather like early September ? Any response would
help me make my decision, since it is a big trip (I am based in
Belgium, Europe) and would like to make the right decision.

Thanks !

Marianne

The short answer is the weather is highly variable. I was there
last June and for the first 10 days the weather was ideal.
The sun shone and daytime temperatures went up to 25C
dropping to around 10 at night.

The last 4 days however we had a LOT of rain and it was
much cooler. By sept the days are noticeably shorter and its
getting cooler. However going early or late in the season
does mean the crowding is less and by camping you will
see more of the wildlife. Do follow the rules published for
storing food though. Bears can be dangerous and you
dont want one ripping open your tent to get the food you packed.

Your not going to see the northern lights I'm afraid. In
summer it doesnt even get fully dark.

Keith

Old September 3rd, 2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Craig[_1_]

wrote...

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Alaska in 2007. I have seen several great
tours which involve either summer camping (July and August) or are
hotel-based (first 2 weeks of September). Which would be the best ? I
would like to avoid the mosquitoes and tourists as much as possible,
and hopefully see the Northern Lights, whilst having a decent weather.
I am looking for anyone who has experience camping in Alaska in the
summer: is it cold at night and is there a lot of rain? Does anyone
know what is the weather like early September ? Any response would
help me make my decision, since it is a big trip (I am based in
Belgium, Europe) and would like to make the right decision.

Thanks !

Marianne

It would help to know where in AK you plan visiting given the state's size
and varied geography, but in general, it can be cold at night in August. My
worst-ever night of camping was spent at Riley Creek Campground in Denali NP
in Aug. due to the cold. My water bottles on my bicycle froze solid! July
could still be mosquito-ey while late August and Sept. have a pretty major
drop in bugs. August is still fairly well lit so if Northern Lights are
important to you, I'd shoot for September--avoid July at all costs. One tip
in Northern Lights viewing is to enlist helpers since you really should
check the sky frequently through the night. If several folks share the
scouting, and know that you're willing to be awakened at any time when the
Lights are out, you'll more than likely not miss a good display.

All in all, given your thoughts, I vote for Sept.:

-Fewer mosquitoes
-Fewer tourists
-Potential (especially in mid-late Sept..) for some good deals in shopping
-Much better chance of getting a great view of the Northern Lights
-Although cold, you'll be in hotels rather than a tent in pretty cold August

-the one downside is that by mid-late Sept., some attractions may be closed
and business staff (restaurant cooks and servers, lodging cleaners, etc.)
may be operating short-staffed since some of the seasonal help has already
headed south for winter jobs, school, etc.

Regardless of when you go, a good rain suit or something pretty waterproof
will be very useful--as will dressing in layers.

PS--I've done 4 month-long bicycle camping trips in AK and Yukon/NWT and
have worked three seasons in Skagway (May-Sept.) with excursions into the
Interior on my days off and base my thoughts on my experiences.

Craig

Old September 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Maddie

Hi Craig,

Thank you so much for your advice, it really helps a lot ! I plan to
participate in an organised tour since I would be going alone. Most of
these tours go to Kenai, Denali, Fairbanks, Wrangell, so to the major
attractions in Alaska. Although it is a shame that none of these add
the Inside Passage to their programme.

You must love Alaska if you have done such big trips over there. I
can't wait to get there, counting down to it already...

All the best and thanks again,
Marianne

Old September 3rd, 2006, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Maddie

Hi Keith,

Thanks a lot for this ! I appreciate your response to my mail (cfr
also my response to Craig).

All the best,
Marianne

Old September 3rd, 2006, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Maddie wrote:
Hi Craig,

Thank you so much for your advice, it really helps a lot ! I plan to
participate in an organised tour since I would be going alone. Most of
these tours go to Kenai, Denali, Fairbanks, Wrangell, so to the major
attractions in Alaska. Although it is a shame that none of these add
the Inside Passage to their programme.

Maddie,

I cannot imagine doing AK on an organized trip. I have been to Alaska
17 times over the past 9 years, going in almost every single month just
to experience it at different times. I do have friends there, so that
helps.

I don't know what the cost of the organized tour is, but Alaska is
expensive to rent a car or travel by trains but may be worth the
trade-off. Depending on your age and interests, there are many things
that I would recommend on doing this unorganized. This last year we
spent five days at Valdez, fishing, camping and sea kayaking and it was
one of my best trips. I have never been to Wrangell, but on looking it
up, many of the same things are available there as in Valdez. If you
want to be on the water, I wouldn't go as late as September because I
have seen snow in August in Denali and it is much more fun to be out
kayaking, camping, and fishing in the 70s than when it is 30. I try to
spend several weeks in Denali/Healy every summer because that is my
home base.

Good luck on your trip and if you decide not to go organized I will
provide names of some boat owners and hotels that may give you more
bang for your buck than just looking on the internet.

Janice

PS: Everyone talks about the mosquitos, and they can be bad, but in
all my summers there, they never stopped me from doing anything. You
are less likely to find them so pesky from late July through August.

Old September 3rd, 2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Maddie

Hi Janice,

Thanks for your reply. Normally I am not the kind of person that goes
on an organized trip, I like my independence too much, but I would be
all alone going to Alaska, so it would be nice to meet new friends on
an organized trip (read: adventure trip, not the run-of-the-mill
package tours). but adventure = camping, hence my dilemma since I like
to be warm in my bed ;-). In any case, if I find anyone who wants to
come with me (none of my friends want to come to Alaska), I would rent
a car and travel around l ike that, and then I will definitely contact
you again for those addresses. Although the likelihood of someone
coming along is very low...
I guess the weather in Alaska is as varied as it is in Belgium in the
summer: you never know what you will get !

Marianne (Maddie)

Old September 3rd, 2006, 07:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Maddie wrote:
Hi Janice,

Thanks for your reply. Normally I am not the kind of person that goes
on an organized trip, I like my independence too much, but I would be
all alone going to Alaska, so it would be nice to meet new friends on
an organized trip (read: adventure trip, not the run-of-the-mill
package tours). but adventure = camping, hence my dilemma since I like
to be warm in my bed ;-). In any case, if I find anyone who wants to
come with me (none of my friends want to come to Alaska), I would rent
a car and travel around l ike that, and then I will definitely contact
you again for those addresses. Although the likelihood of someone
coming along is very low...
I guess the weather in Alaska is as varied as it is in Belgium in the
summer: you never know what you will get !

Maddie,

I am guessing from your posts that you are under 30. My experience
with organized travel in Alaska is it is for the 65+ crowd. Do you
have a site for trips that you are looking at. I would just be curious
as to the cost.

Alaska is the closest to hitchhiking in Europe as you will ever get. I
am 54 and took my 27 year old son for his first trip to Alaska last
summer. He had a great time and hooked up with contemporaries every
day. I think even he was surprised that travelling with mom would work
out to his benefit so well. It is not mom, but Alaska. One day he met
some guys going ice climbing and was free to go. Another night we were
invited to go red salmon fishing with some people we met, and saw black
bears within 15 feet of our car.

Hopefully the tour company you are looking at is geared towards younger
travellers, although I haven't seen one like that yet.

Janice

Old September 3rd, 2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Maddie

Hi Janice,

I am a young spirit in an older body ;-) I am 40 (still can't believe
it myself). Yes, I have noticed as well that the organized tours are
targeted at an older and wealthier public. I have found 3
organisations which are geared towards younger people:
www.footloose.com and www.explore.co.uk (which has an enormous choice).
In Alaska itself I have found www.travelalaskaoutdoors.com (only
camping) which if I decide to go camping, would probably be the ones I
would go with (prices range from $995 to 2500 but nearly everything is
included).

Maddie

Old September 3rd, 2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Maddie wrote:
Hi Janice,

I am a young spirit in an older body ;-) I am 40 (still can't believe
it myself). Yes, I have noticed as well that the organized tours are
targeted at an older and wealthier public. I have found 3
organisations which are geared towards younger people:
www.footloose.com and www.explore.co.uk (which has an enormous choice).
In Alaska itself I have found www.travelalaskaoutdoors.com (only
camping) which if I decide to go camping, would probably be the ones I
would go with (prices range from $995 to 2500 but nearly everything is
included).

Maddie

Maddie,

I did look at several of the travelalaskaoutdoors site and they aren't
bad, but..... now on to the included part. All of these packages sound
a little like "If it is Tuesday, it must be Belguim." Until you have
been there a couple of times, you won't be able to comprehend just how
large Alaska is. Getting from one place to another takes all day. You
may think 5 hours from Anchorage to Denali doesn't sound like much.
More likely it is 10 hours before there is always road work being done
in the summer (as it is the only time they can do road work) and you
are following motorhome after motorhome after motorhome, many stopped
in the middle of the road to take pictures of moose. The biggest
complaint of the Princess/Holland American tourists (after they get off
the ship) is that they are never in one place long enough to even catch
their breath.

I am not trying to discourage you from this trip because Alaska would
be right at the top of my travel destinations and some of the most
beautiful country I have ever seen.

Back to the add-ons. They do include the travel, and a day trip into
Denali (which costs about $85) and admission to Chena Hot Springs
(which is a waste for the hot springs, but not viewing the scenery).
They don't include 150-250 for whale watching, which is a must if you
are going to go to Prince William Sound. They don't include $150-250
for a day of sea kayaking or 250 to go fishing. Being on the water and
seeing the wildlife is a big part of Alaska. As far as I am concerned,
20 minutes in Anchorage and 45 minutes in Fairbanks (to see drunk
natives) is about all those two places have going for them. With the
time they have alloted for Denali, you will have no time to go river
rafting (if you are adventuresome $75-90), or taking any of the free
hikes. You won't even be in Valdez long enough to hike some of the
waterfalls. Matanuska (sp?) glacier is a camping site on your itinery,
but again, you aren't there long enough to hike the Sheep Mountains.
Also you are on such a tight schedule that you can't wait a day for
some activities until the weather might be better the next day.

I hope you are able to find someone to do this with you so that you are
able to more customize this to your wants. I am currently planning a
12-day hiking trip for the Inca Trail to Machu Pichu for next year.

Janice