Paris Restaurants, Tour D'Argent

Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Cate

Default Paris Restaurants, Tour D'Argent

So, you were going to tell me why you think Tour D'Argent is over-rated,
overpriced, past its prime, and how one can get better food elsewhere in
Paris for half the price? Perhaps so, but we had lunch there on our last
trip and totally enjoyed the food and the experience, so I'm thinking of
going back. We also got a tour of their cellars - pretty spectacular!.

But with respect to those other, better choices at half the price, where
should we go in the first, fifth, or sixth arrondissments to get better food
for half the price, with equivalent service and wine list ? (Ignoring the
view.) - Apparently, lunch at the the Tour D'Argent is currently around 75
Euros, so half of that would be about 38 Euros.

I'm also still looking forward to eating at some of those great little
restaurants on rue de L'Harpe and Huchette. (We look for French places with
menus only in French, few American tourists, usually accepting only Euros.)
But please, NO Chinese, Vietnamese, Italian, Greek, Lebanese, Indian, or
Russian restaurants. - We don't go to France to eat gyros.

Jim

Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

Jim wrote on 21 Sep 2010 19:08:01 -0500:

But with respect to those other, better choices at half the
price, where should we go in the first, fifth, or sixth
arrondissments to get better food for half the price, with
equivalent service and wine list ? (Ignoring the view.) - Apparently,
lunch at the the Tour D'Argent is currently around
75 Euros, so half of that would be about 38 Euros.

I'm also still looking forward to eating at some of those
great little restaurants on rue de L'Harpe and Huchette. (We look for
French places with menus only in French, few American
tourists, usually accepting only Euros.) But please, NO
Chinese, Vietnamese, Italian, Greek, Lebanese, Indian, or Russian
restaurants. - We don't go to France to eat gyros.

"Chinese" sometimes tends to be Vietnamese (French colonial style) and
Moroccan can be a revelation; try Couscous Royale, for example.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Cate

Ultimately, its a question of priorities and time limitations. I don't get
to Europe every year, and it involves a rather substantial cost if
everything is considered. If I had unlimited funds and time, or if I lived
there or visited frequently, I might want to sample other foods from other
countries while there. Just as I would like to travel to many countries
other than France, I have to make choices and set priorities. I look
forward to sampling the French cuisine (which, of course, actually comprises
multiple cuisines from various parts of the country) as an interesting and
enjoyable part of the French culture just as I look forward to walks in the
old neighborhoods, taking historical tours, exploring the museums and other
attractions, meeting interesting people from other parts of the world,
practicing my French, etc.

Another factor is that in our area (a metroplex of some five million
people), there are only a handful of French restaurants, all in other parts
of the area that are inconvenient to us. On the other hand, we have
Chinese, Indian, Lebanese, Greek, other Mediterranean, Arabic, Italian, and
Vietnamese restaurants (albeit perhaps not the type to which you refer) plus
various others all near our own neighborhood.

Obviously, its a matter of personal "taste" and opinion upon which folks can
differ. - I suppose there are some people who simply don't like French
food. In fact, some of my friends don't like France, or the French, and
might consider it unpatriotic to go there or to patronize a French
restaurant.

Jim