ATA Airlines

Old March 20th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Devoto

Default ATA Airlines

I need to fly from Seattle to Chicago on 31st May. ATA are by a long way
the cheapest, but I've never heard of them (I'm British) - I'd guess
they're a no frills airline like EasyJet. Does anyone have any good/bad
opinions on them? I need to get to Chicago that day, so if they've got a
reputation for diverting flights to Arkansas at 20 minutes notice, it would
be useful to know.

Also, it shouldn't be a problem for a UK citizen to buy a ticket from their
website should it?

Thanks for any input.
Old March 20th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Chip

Devoto wrote:

I need to fly from Seattle to Chicago on 31st May. ATA are by a long way
the cheapest, but I've never heard of them (I'm British) - I'd guess
they're a no frills airline like EasyJet. Does anyone have any good/bad
opinions on them?

ATA is no-frills and just fine. Seating is a bit cramped in the 757s,
but the cabin crew were very pleasant. They have movies. Bring your
own food.

Their ticket change policy is one of the best. I had to delay my return
and the price was only $50.

I'd fly them again.
Old March 20th, 2004, 01:28 PM
alohacyberian

"Devoto" wrote in message
.134...
I need to fly from Seattle to Chicago on 31st May. ATA are by a long way
the cheapest, but I've never heard of them (I'm British) - I'd guess
they're a no frills airline like EasyJet. Does anyone have any good/bad
opinions on them? I need to get to Chicago that day, so if they've got a
reputation for diverting flights to Arkansas at 20 minutes notice, it would
be useful to know.

Also, it shouldn't be a problem for a UK citizen to buy a ticket from their
website should it?

I have a friend who is a pilot for United Airlines and he told me some time
ago that ATA (America Trans Air) is a very good airline and recommended them
(when I couldn't fly United, or course) and I have flown on ATA and have
nothing negative to report. Being a UK citizen shouldn't matter. Their prices
are usually below the competition. For that reason, I have included American
Trans Air (ATA) on my Airlines' Services to Hawaii webpage at:
~ http://keith.martin.home.att.net/zeppelin.html - Bon voyage! KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old March 20th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Stefan Patric

On Saturday 20 March 2004 02:12 am, Devoto wrote:

I need to fly from Seattle to Chicago on 31st May. ATA are by a long
way the cheapest, but I've never heard of them (I'm British) - I'd
guess they're a no frills airline like EasyJet. Does anyone have any
good/bad opinions on them? I need to get to Chicago that day, so if
they've got a reputation for diverting flights to Arkansas at 20
minutes notice, it would be useful to know.

Also, it shouldn't be a problem for a UK citizen to buy a ticket from
their website should it?

Thanks for any input.

You should also check Southwest Airlines (www.southwest.com). They have
listed 3 non-stop flights (among others with stops) from Seattle/Tacoma
to Chicago-Midway for $99US each-way. I've flown on them several times
from short hops to coast-to-coast and been satisfied with the service,
available schedule options, destinations, and prices.

--
Stefan Patric

Old March 21st, 2004, 01:18 AM
SP Cook

Devoto wrote in message

I need to fly from Seattle to Chicago on 31st May. ATA are by a long way
the cheapest, but I've never heard of them (I'm British) - I'd guess
they're a no frills airline like EasyJet. Does anyone have any good/bad
opinions on them? I need to get to Chicago that day, so if they've got a
reputation for diverting flights to Arkansas at 20 minutes notice, it would
be useful to know.

Also, it shouldn't be a problem for a UK citizen to buy a ticket from their
website should it?

ATA is a fine airline. Their main business is charter work for the
military, but their scheduled side is fine.

The only issue is that, as a small airline, they don't have many
flights per day, so if you miss a connection, you might have to wait a
while. But if this is a direct flight deal, that is no issue.
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:39 AM
Charles Hawtrey

Devoto crawled to the nearest keyboard and
summoned the courage to write:

I need to fly from Seattle to Chicago on 31st May. ATA are by a long way
the cheapest, but I've never heard of them (I'm British) - I'd guess
they're a no frills airline like EasyJet. Does anyone have any good/bad
opinions on them? I need to get to Chicago that day, so if they've got a
reputation for diverting flights to Arkansas at 20 minutes notice, it would
be useful to know.

I fly them occasionally, and they're fine.

Be aware that ATA flies into Chicago-Midway, not the much larger
Chicago-O'Hare. If someone is supposed to meet you in Chicago, make
certain they know what airport they should go to. MDW has the usual
facilities such as rental cars.

Also, it shouldn't be a problem for a UK citizen to buy a ticket from their
website should it?

The only problem I can see is if they don't accept credit cards issued
outside the US. Check their website or call their customer service
number to find out. In any event ATA is bookable through major travel
sites such as Travelocity and Expedia, unlike some no-frills airlines
(e.g., Southwest).

--
Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make
you mad. (Aldous Huxley)
Old March 21st, 2004, 05:06 AM
TaoSurfer

I would love to comment on ATA. I fly quite a bit in business, and my one and
only travel with ATA (which included layovers) convinced me to NEVER fly them
again.

It would be too aggrevating to talk about all that went wrong, but I've got to
say that as much as I fly, and considering that my father is an airline pilot,
I've got to say that they are one inept airline.

As far as smaller carriers are concerned, I hear that Southwest Airlines is
great.
Old March 21st, 2004, 06:57 AM
eric h

In article ,
TaoSurfer wrote:

It would be too aggrevating to talk about all that went wrong, but I've got to
say that as much as I fly, and considering that my father is an airline pilot,

Everybody can muster a horror story for any airline. ATA is a low-cost,
high-volume carrier, and that means their flights are usually pretty
crowded and the service isn't terribly luxurious, but both of those facts
are pretty much true of all US airlines these days. It's not my favorite
line, but they'll get you there at a reasonable cost. When my flight to
Boston was delayed due to bad weather back in December, they were quite
willing to let me board a flight to NYC instead, which I appreciated even
though I ended up waiting until the next day for a Boston flight. Their
safety record is as good as anybody's. When price is the deciding
factor, I fly them without hesitation.
--
---
"I never had to pretend I felt the lyrics. I could always relate to the words."
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:18 AM
Jon Maiman

I have flown ATA a couple of times from PIT - MDW. No problems.
Planes are clean. Seat pitch is a little tight but adequate. I will
fly them again the next time I need to go to Chicago.

--Jon

Old March 21st, 2004, 10:01 AM
Miguel Cruz

TaoSurfer wrote:
I would love to comment on ATA. I fly quite a bit in business, and my one
and only travel with ATA (which included layovers) convinced me to NEVER
fly them again.

For every airline there is someone whose one and only experience was bad.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/