Buying wine in Fort Lauderdale

Old March 6th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Toni

Default Buying wine in Fort Lauderdale

I am staying at the AmeriSuites in downtown Fort Lauderdale the night
before my cruise. I would like to purchase wine to take on the cruise
in Fort Lauderdale rather than trying to take it on the plane with me.
Will it be possible to walk someplace to buy it or will it require a
taxi? Also, can I pack a corkscrew in my checked luggage or will it be
confiscated?

--
Toni
Toni's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=666

Old March 6th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Truck Driver

67 Liquors
1317 Southeast 17th Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316 There is at lease one other chain/discount store near by as well as two supermarket stores with a large collection of wine and/or liquors. We have packed away corkscrews in suitcase with no problems for the last 5 years. The above store are all between you and the cruise port straight along Southeast 17th and should be walk able in 10 to 15 mints (max).

Old March 6th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Charles

In article , Toni
wrote:

I would like to purchase wine to take on the cruise
in Fort Lauderdale rather than trying to take it on the plane with me.
Will it be possible to walk someplace to buy it or will it require a
taxi?

There are several liquor stores within easy walking distance of
Amerisuites.

--
Charles
Old March 7th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake Toni :

I am staying at the AmeriSuites in downtown Fort Lauderdale the night
before my cruise. I would like to purchase wine to take on the cruise
in Fort Lauderdale rather than trying to take it on the plane with me.
Will it be possible to walk someplace to buy it or will it require a
taxi? Also, can I pack a corkscrew in my checked luggage or will it be
confiscated?

As far as the corkscrew, I know people who have no problems, and
people who had them confiscated. Sometimes on the same ship. I think
it's a luck of the draw.

--
dillon

"When the French are against it, you know we can't
be far wrong." - Adm. Bobbie Ray Inman
Old March 7th, 2005, 12:32 PM
ArleneL

There's a Publix supermarket on the North side of 17th, a short walk from
Amerisuites. Publix carries a huge wine selection and you can also buy your
snacks and sodas.

Arlene

Old March 7th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Gregory C. Read

"Lee Lindquist" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 12:32:43 GMT, ArleneL
wrote:

There's a Publix supermarket on the North side of 17th, a short walk from
Amerisuites. Publix carries a huge wine selection and you can also buy

your

It moved.

Now south of 17th Street, at the end of Cordova Road --
1940 Cordova Road.

--
- Lee

Lee, did anything take its place? Another supermarket perhaps? I know the
Winn Dixie is down the street, but the Publix had a lot more to offer.

--
Greg
lid

Old March 8th, 2005, 01:34 AM
Gregory C. Read

"Lee Lindquist" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 19:11:41 GMT, "Gregory C. Read"
wrote:

Lee, did anything take its place? Another supermarket perhaps? I know

the
Winn Dixie is down the street, but the Publix had a lot more to offer.

Nothing has taken its place. Several of the other business that were
in the same plaza as publix (southport shops) are also moving to the
new location as well.

--
- Lee

That's too bad. After about 7 trips staying at a local hotel, we have
gotten so used to the shops and Publix there. Our routine on a pre and/or
post-cruise night is to get dinner at, very often Chuck's Steakhouse or
Outback, stop at the liquor store, pickup snacks, etc. at the Publix, stop
at the Ice Cream place next store and go back to our hotel. We are next
scheduled for April 15th and this will really through a "monkey wrench" into
our routine. Darn! I can't find the exact new location of the Publix.
How far away is it from the old.

Old March 9th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Toni

Does anyone know why alot of the businesses are moving out of that plaza
(southport) and can you walk to where they are moving to?

Also if they confiscate the pack corkscrew can you open your wine in
your cabin without paying the corkage fee? Not sure it would be worth
toting the wine to also have to pay to open it.

Old March 9th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Candy

Your cabin steward will be happy to open it for you.

Candy -- waiting for the upgrade fairy on Zuidy IV