FLORIDA KEYS specifically the lower keys and a Moped question.

Old August 31st, 2004, 11:49 PM
paully12345

Default FLORIDA KEYS specifically the lower keys and a Moped question.

Im going to be RVing in the florida keys in the winter, staying at one
of the RV parks located in the area. Can you use a moped in the lower
keys (ie mile 1 to 30) on the main highway. My main concern is a
toybox trailer needs a huge rig to haul it, probly a Ford F550 etc and
given its size and gas use once im parked, wondering if one could use
a small cheap moped for shooting around the keys and key west. Since
id be staying for a minimum of 2 months in the winter, it would really
be nice to avoid the use of the truck except when i want to haul my
kayak to a specific spot.
Old September 1st, 2004, 02:39 AM
Roger B.

"paully12345" wrote...
Im going to be RVing in the florida keys in the winter, staying at one
of the RV parks located in the area. Can you use a moped in the lower
keys (ie mile 1 to 30) on the main highway. ...

"Share the Road" laws give bikes/mopeds the same rights as
any other vehicle, and I seem to recall that US 1 has fairly wide
paved shoulders in that area. But you are on a major highway,
so if you do, restrict your travel to daytime hours only. [R]

Old September 1st, 2004, 06:34 AM
Brian K

On 08/31/2004 9:39 PM Roger B. found Nemo in a Sushi Bar and exclaimed:

"paully12345" wrote...

Im going to be RVing in the florida keys in the winter, staying at one
of the RV parks located in the area. Can you use a moped in the lower
keys (ie mile 1 to 30) on the main highway. ...

"Share the Road" laws give bikes/mopeds the same rights as
any other vehicle, and I seem to recall that US 1 has fairly wide
paved shoulders in that area. But you are on a major highway,
so if you do, restrict your travel to daytime hours only. [R]

I have personal experience from biking it in the Keys. In Key West it's
ok. But on the Overseas Highway you are taking your life in your
hands! Most snowbirds from the north don't really have a grasp of what
"Share the Road" implys. After riding just a brief distance on the
Overseas Highway from Key West to Stock Island -- I would never do it
again! Mopeds get even less respect than bicyclists on the Highway.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:10 AM
paully12345

Brian K wrote in message thlink.net...
[...]

Is that basically a full lane on the side? In that situation can you
legally use that exclusively or is it illegal to be there except
emergency? These high powered scooters do literally go up to 80mph so
it would be much like a motorcycle. Mind you I wouldnt do more then
the speed limit in something that small.

I guess only other option is to park the f550 and scooter around. In
that case.. are they any pubic and usually with a empty space or 2
around or is it like many other tourist traps. That being, $10+ a day
payments etc.

Old September 2nd, 2004, 03:42 AM
Roger B.

"paully12345" wrote...
Brian K wrote...
I have personal experience from biking it in the Keys. In Key West
it's ok. But on the Overseas Highway you are taking your life in your
hands! Most snowbirds from the north don't really have a grasp of
what "Share the Road" implys. After riding just a brief distance on
the Overseas Highway from Key West to Stock Island -- I would
never do it again! Mopeds get even less respect than bicyclists on
the Highway.

Is that basically a full lane on the side? In that situation can you legally
use that exclusively or is it illegal to be there except emergency? These
high powered scooters do literally go up to 80mph so it would be much
like a motorcycle. Mind you I wouldnt do more then the speed limit in
something that small.

We may have a difference in definition here. A moped (motorbike) in
Florida has a motor of less than 50cc's. My stepson's only gets up to
45mph. at best. Mopeds (motorbikes) may use bike lanes and shoulders.
Anything that's powered more than that (motorcycles or scooters) must
use regular lanes of traffic (and are subject to helmet laws).

The Overseas Highway can be hairy for slow, small, 2-wheel cycles, but
your "bike" sounds like something diff'ert. If you have a motorcycle or
scooter that can go with the flow of traffic, you should be okay. [R]

Old September 3rd, 2004, 01:26 AM
paully12345

"Roger B." wrote in message ...
"paully12345" wrote...
Brian K wrote...
[...]

Yeah im not one for motorcycles but might have to adopt the enjoyment
if i want minimal freedom down there. But the one im look at is:
http://www.sportiquescooters.com/sal...co-betnwin.htm

expensive for what it is but if you HAVE to have a scooter, its one of
the better looking models out there.