Stricken Carnival Liberty docks for cleaning

Old November 20th, 2006, 02:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mike. A

Default Stricken Carnival Liberty docks for cleaning

Stricken cruise ship docks for cleaning
By JENNIFER KAY, Associated Press WriterSun Nov 19, 5:12 PM ET

A thorough scrubbing of the Carnival Liberty began Sunday as the ship docked
after a virus sickened nearly 700 passengers on a trans-Atlantic cruise.

Fourteen guests and five crew remained ill and in isolation when the ship
arrived at Port Everglades, according to a statement released by Carnival
Cruise Lines, a brand of Carnival Corp. Some passengers were escorted off
the ship in wheelchairs by crew wearing blue gloves.

Preliminary tests identified the source of the outbreak as the highly
contagious norovirus, which had struck several guests just before they
boarded the cruise Nov. 3 in Rome, Carnival officials said. More than 530
guests and 140 crew reported to the ship's infirmary with similar symptoms
during the 16-day voyage.

Passengers who fell ill during the cruise said they received
over-the-counter anti-diarrheal medication and pills or an injection to ward
off nausea in the ship's infirmary, and had been quarantined in their
cabins.

"They brought us 7-Up, bottled water, ice and a diet of rice, though you
didn't feel like eating," said Jim Lankes, 48, of Phoenix. Lankes and his
45-year-old brother both got sick when the ship was docked in Barcelona,
Spain.

Crews scrubbed the ship's handrails and utensils, offered disinfecting hand
gel and halted the self-serve buffets after the outbreak started. Even
plastic menus were wiped clean, said Pedro Carreras, 51, of McDonough, Ga.

Most cruise activities and excursions continued as scheduled, passengers
said, though the crew's illness disrupted some personal services.

"Our cabin steward was struck, and we didn't have anybody to clean our cabin
for five days," said Pamela Stupnik of Pueblo, Colo. She said she and her
husband spent two days vomiting in their cabin.

A team from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control boarded the cruise when it
docked in St. Maarten to oversee the cleaning operation and try to determine
what caused the outbreak, Carnival said.

Norovirus is a group of viruses that cause stomach flu symptoms such as
diarrhea, vomiting and stomach cramps, according to the CDC. The illness
usually lasts one to two days without any long-term health effects. It
spreads through contaminated food or liquids, by touching contaminated
surfaces or objects and then placing that hand in one's mouth, or through
direct contact with someone who is infected and showing symptoms.

The Liberty, which has room for 2,974 travelers, had been scheduled to set
sail again Sunday afternoon on a six-day Caribbean voyage, but Miami-based
Carnival delayed its next departure until Tuesday so crews could have extra
time to disinfect the ship.

Old November 20th, 2006, 02:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JP[_3_]

Could you please give me an idea, of how much money one of these "vomit at
sea" cruises cost? Image paying $2000 and end up stuck on a ship with
vomiting and being unable to eat. Holy Cow! I'll take Walt Disney World over
the so-called "love boat" anyday.

JP

Old November 20th, 2006, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

JP wrote:
Could you please give me an idea, of how much money one of these "vomit at
sea" cruises cost? Image paying $2000 and end up stuck on a ship with
vomiting and being unable to eat. Holy Cow! I'll take Walt Disney World over
the so-called "love boat" anyday.

JP

Hi there

Do you mean the fun ships, as the love boat is Princess not Carnival.
Also does Disney Cruise Line follow the same precautionary measures all
the time that Carnival is doing after this outbreak. If not you are not
better off cruising with them.

I think that all cruise ships should always require the use of hand
sanitizer on every cruise. Also think they should also limit
self-service buffets, as they do after one these outbreaks. At least
they are not a local all-you-can-eat buffet the requires sick employees
to have replacements lined up before they call in sick. I have heard of
a few people the came to work sick, as there was no one fill their
shift.

Was on the Island Princess a few years back after one of these
outbreaks and were not allowed to serve ouselfs food at any buffet. In
addition we were not allowed to even put ketchup on burgers at the
grill. Someone said this might last for a few cruises if not just for
that cruise. Just wonder is some cruise lines do this only, as they are
required by the CDC.

Michael

Old November 20th, 2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JP[_3_]

Anytime you pack a lot of people in a smaller than normal area, you run the
chance of having something breakout. With more and more people coming in
from undeveloped countries, it won't be long before TB will hit a group of
people, since everyone's immunity has worn off by now.

JP

" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old November 20th, 2006, 10:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Uncle Peter

"JP" wrote in message
Could you please give me an idea, of how much money one of these "vomit at
sea" cruises cost? Image paying $2000 and end up stuck on a ship with
vomiting and being unable to eat. Holy Cow! I'll take Walt Disney World
over
the so-called "love boat" anyday.

JP

JP

Why do you bother posting here, since you have no interest
in cruising, or over at the Vegas site? Noro virus
is also a problem a Vegas. It doesn't only affect cruise ships; the
Flamingo had a big problem three years ago (the week before
we were there) and it has hit other hotels there as well.
I am beginning to suspect you have never been to Vegas,
nor on a cruise either!

Old November 20th, 2006, 10:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kate

Let me quote the newspaper article:

Preliminary tests identified the source of the outbreak as the highly
contagious norovirus, which had struck several guests just before they
boarded the cruise Nov. 3 in Rome, Carnival officials said. More than 530
guests and 140 crew reported to the ship's infirmary with similar
symptoms during the 16-day voyage.

It states "...which had struck several guests just before they boarded
the cruise....." So passengers didn't contract the virus from
something Carnival did but several of their fellow passengers were sick
before they boarded and didn't have enough sense to keep to their cabin
until they were well again.

Just thought you should lay blame where it belongs.

Kate

Old November 20th, 2006, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JP[_3_]

The california hotel in vegas had a big outbreak a couple of years ago. I
have made over 30 trips to vegas in the last 10 years. I have also cruised
the pacific, on a beautiful 18 day cruise and enjoyed it very much. Any
other remarks?

JP

Old November 21st, 2006, 01:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"JP" wrote

The california hotel in vegas had a big outbreak a couple of years ago. I
have made over 30 trips to vegas in the last 10 years. I have also cruised
the pacific, on a beautiful 18 day cruise and enjoyed it very much. Any
other remarks?

I find that very odd since on August 1 you wrote me:

"I'm looking at short, fairly inexpensive cruises out of Boston, where I
could experience a cruise without investing a lot of money. Naturally, want
to checkout a 3 day cruise before going for a longer trip..."

Of course, you wrote that one day after sending me an email saying: "I do
not care for cruises, so I am not interested in purchasing anything,"

So what is it?

You have never been on a cruise or
you aren't interested in going on a cruise or
you are interested in going on a cruise or
you were on an 18 day cruise?

What ship was that on, John? When did this take place?

--
George Leppla http://www.countryside-travel.com

February 10, 2007 - Valentine's Group - http://cruisemaster.com/grandeur.htm
April 29, 2007 GGC2007 http://cruisemaster.com/pride.htm
October 14, 2007 MOAGC 3 - http://www.moagc-3.com

Old November 21st, 2006, 01:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

When we sailed CARNIVAL LIBERTY we had 3 people at our table return
their chicken dinner because the chicken was still partly raw in the
center,and a lot of people eat their red meat very rare which is not
advisable. As for me
i like my men rare,and my meat very well done
surfer e2468

cruise lover