ships and critters

Old March 5th, 2008, 07:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
It Wuznie Me

Default ships and critters

Two things I love to watch are ships and critters in the wild. Are
there any suggestions out there for good places to go in the US to
view either of these? I am a major airlines retiree so transportation
is not a problem.

A couple of specific questions:

1. Is there any location along the Houston Ship channel for watching
ths hips go by and is there enough traffic to warrant going there?

2. When I say critter watching, the place that turned me on was
Jackson Hole at the end of winter when we saw elk, mountain sheep and
other animals grazing within half a mile of our car. Are there any
other places such as that?

I know these are somewhat naive questions but bear with an elderly
couple, please.
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

"It Wuznie Me" wrote in message
Two things I love to watch are ships and critters in the wild. Are
there any suggestions out there for good places to go in the US to
view either of these? I am a major airlines retiree so transportation
is not a problem.

A couple of specific questions:

1. Is there any location along the Houston Ship channel for watching
ths hips go by and is there enough traffic to warrant going there?

When I'm home (Houston) my wife & I sometimes go to a nice place for Sunday
Brunch. It's on the ship channel, with large windows overlooking the
channel. In all the years we've gone there, I've only seen one ship go by
and a few tugs. there's a lot of loading & unloading going on, but that's
about it. About 15 minutes away, is the Battleship Texas, and the San
Jacinto Monument which is a nice tour for a few hours.

2. When I say critter watching, the place that turned me on was
Jackson Hole at the end of winter when we saw elk, mountain sheep and
other animals grazing within half a mile of our car. Are there any
other places such as that?

I service a company in Loveland, CO, north of Denver. A few times Hotels
were full, and I stayed in Estes Park, a few miles away. It's on the edge
of the Rocky Mtn. National Park. It's a small tourist town with a lot of
small shops. The longhorn sheep and elk walk the streets there. Beautiful
country too. The last visit, I had to wait for the elk to move so I could
park in the Holiday Inn lot.

Old March 5th, 2008, 08:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
It Wuznie Me

On Mar 5, 2:29*pm, "Jim Davis" wrote:
When I'm home (Houston) my wife & I sometimes go to a nice place for Sunday
Brunch. *It's on the ship channel, with large windows overlooking the
channel. *In all the years we've gone there, I've only seen one ship go by
and a few tugs. *there's a lot of loading & unloading going on, but that's
about it. *About 15 minutes away, is the Battleship Texas, and the San
Jacinto Monument which is a nice tour for a few hours.

I service a company in Loveland, CO, north of Denver. *A few times Hotels
were full, and I stayed in Estes Park, a few miles away. *It's on the edge
of the Rocky Mtn. National Park. *It's a small tourist town with a lot of
small shops. *The longhorn sheep and elk walk the streets there. *Beautiful
country too. *The last visit, I had to wait for the elk to move so I could
park in the Holiday Inn lot.

Thanks for the information on the Houston Ship Channel and the
recommendation on Estes Park sounds like exactly the type of place we
want to visit. Is there a best time of year for watching the animals?

Old March 5th, 2008, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
grusl

On Mar 6, 1:29*am, "Jim Davis" wrote:
"It Wuznie Me" wrote in ...

[...]

What a remarkably specific question, and a remarkably specific answer.
Golly, Usenet can be amazing!

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

[...]

I've been there many times. Seems to be a year round thing. Check out;
http://www.estes-park.com/

Old March 5th, 2008, 09:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

"grusl" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, sometimes we have to try to be a little helpful, between the wise
cracks and insults. You forgot one thing. The question was remarkably *on*
topic. (Sometimes rare in this group.)

Old March 7th, 2008, 04:20 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article
,
It Wuznie Me wrote:

Two things I love to watch are ships and critters in the wild. Are
there any suggestions out there for good places to go in the US to
view either of these? I am a major airlines retiree so transportation
is not a problem.

A couple of specific questions:

1. Is there any location along the Houston Ship channel for watching
ths hips go by and is there enough traffic to warrant going there?

I don't know about Houston, but in New York City, you can see lots of
ships go by beneath you by walking across the Brooklyn Bridge or if you
take the ferry from Battary Park to Ellis Island and the Statue of
Liberty.

2. When I say critter watching, the place that turned me on was
Jackson Hole at the end of winter when we saw elk, mountain sheep and
other animals grazing within half a mile of our car. Are there any
other places such as that?

I know these are somewhat naive questions but bear with an elderly
couple, please.

Not at all. New England, up in the White Mountains in New Hampshire is
home to lots of wild life, including Moose. If you go camping along the
Delaware River Gap, such as Worthington State Park in New Jersey,
there's a chance you'll find beers out in the wild, but its also
something most people try to avoid doing!
Old March 7th, 2008, 12:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
george

On Mar 5, 8:49*pm, It Wuznie Me wrote:
Two things I love to watch are ships and critters in the wild. *Are
there any suggestions out there for good places to go in the US to
view either of these? *I am a major airlines retiree so transportation
is not a problem.

A couple of specific questions:

1. *Is there any location along the Houston Ship channel for watching
ths hips go by and is there enough traffic to warrant going there?

2. *When I say critter watching, the place that turned me on was
Jackson Hole at the end of winter when we saw elk, mountain sheep and
other animals grazing within half a mile of our car. *Are there any
other places such as that?

I know these are somewhat naive questions but bear with an elderly
couple, please.

Years ago, we always enjoyed staying on Shelter Island in San Diego
harbor. On Fridays the fleet would return for the weekend. Quite a
display.

An enjoyable way to watch wildlife, mainly whales, and hundred of
them, and lots of bald eagles, a boat in the Queen Charlotte Islands
of BC, Canada. We spent a week on a sailboat there a few years ago
and had a great time, with nature and the Haida Indian culture. A
boat trip on Glacier Bay, Alaska is also great. 3 mile high snow
covered Mount Fairweather right next to you, and plenty of mammals,
mainly whales, seals, dolphins but also the possibility of bears
walking the shoreline and salmon spawning.

There are also many places to view abundant wildlife in the western
US, Yellowstone probably being one of the better ones. As others have
mentioned, during winter many animals come down into the towns for the
winter. I liked my last visit to Pinedale, WY in the summer because
the deer and moose came into the public park by the river in the
evening, and it was interresting to watch the deer work their way
through neighborhoods.

George
Old March 8th, 2008, 12:00 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article 8,
Joe Makowiec wrote:
On 05 Mar 2008 in rec.travel.usa-canada, It Wuznie Me wrote:
Two things I love to watch are ships and critters in the wild. Are
there any suggestions out there for good places to go in the US to
view either of these? I am a major airlines retiree so transportation
is not a problem.

I'm thinking the west coast of the US and Canada; you might want to look
into the Alaska Marine Highway System:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

I have no experience of it, but it should fulfil both your requests.

I took this ferry in Oct. which is the off season as a prelude to the
Hurtigren in Norway. It's fine.

You will see other ships and tugs and barrages.

Didn't see any bear, but you can stop at islands which have them.
What did I see? .... Whales, dolphins, bald eagles. I saw Dennis in Juneau.