Whole bratwurst versus cut-up bratwurst

Old February 25th, 2010, 08:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
george

Default Whole bratwurst versus cut-up bratwurst

On Feb 25, 9:36*am, george wrote:
On Feb 24, 6:32*pm, erilar wrote: In article

----snipped----------
I'll add one more comment about Bratwurst. After Christmas we stayed
in Hohenschwangau in Bavaria, and the wild boar Bratwurst was just
excellent, some of the best Bratwurst I've ever had!!!!!

George
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Erick T. Barkhuis" wrote in message
William Black:

"erilar" wrote in message news:drache-

On the other hand, as one who finds even a description of
Currywurst nauseating, I can't see how one could tell much about
the sausage part of it.

I just know I'm going to regret this, but what is Currywurst?

Regular white roasted Bratwurst, cut up, with a spicey sauce (often
just ketchup and curry powder, but the quality supliers have decent
curry sauce).

I love the idea of 'decent curry sauce'. It expresses so many culinary
misunderstandings in so few words.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 25th, 2010, 09:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 00:36:17 -0800 (PST), george wrote in post :
:

Your being from Wisconsin, I can't believe your last statement. Good
Wisconsin Bratwurst can't be beat, especially if it is chunky. Try
finding a chunky Bratwurst in a restaurant in Germany, you'll starve
trying!

They're not supposed to be chunky. Doh!

--
Tim C.
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 14:20:51 +0530, William Black wrote in post :
:

"Erick T. Barkhuis" wrote in message
William Black:

"erilar" wrote in message news:drache-

On the other hand, as one who finds even a description of
Currywurst nauseating, I can't see how one could tell much about
the sausage part of it.

I just know I'm going to regret this, but what is Currywurst?

Regular white roasted Bratwurst, cut up, with a spicey sauce (often
just ketchup and curry powder, but the quality supliers have decent
curry sauce).

I love the idea of 'decent curry sauce'. It expresses so many culinary
misunderstandings in so few words.

Especially when the flavour they are after is that of raw curry-powder. :-(

--
Tim C.
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Tim C." wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 14:20:51 +0530, William Black wrote in post :
:

"Erick T. Barkhuis" wrote in message
William Black:

"erilar" wrote in message news:drache-

On the other hand, as one who finds even a description of
Currywurst nauseating, I can't see how one could tell much about
the sausage part of it.

I just know I'm going to regret this, but what is Currywurst?

Regular white roasted Bratwurst, cut up, with a spicey sauce (often
just ketchup and curry powder, but the quality supliers have decent
curry sauce).

I love the idea of 'decent curry sauce'. It expresses so many culinary
misunderstandings in so few words.

Especially when the flavour they are after is that of raw curry-powder.
:-(

In India the idea of 'curry powder' will get you a funny look, mind you,
it being India, I imagine they'd sell you something...

In India the word 'curry' has the same overtones the word 'sauce' has in
France.

In the UK 'sauce' is brown and comes in bottles. 'Curry' varies slightly
depending on your location, but is usually yellow and comes on chips...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 25th, 2010, 09:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 14:54:03 +0530, William Black wrote in post :
:

but is usually yellow and comes on chips...

I actually quite like that sweeter curry sauce you get form the chinese
chip shops. I wouldn't want it all the time though, nor is it what I call
"curry".

--
Tim C.
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_3_]

Tim C.:

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 14:54:03 +0530, William Black wrote in post :
:

but is usually yellow and comes on chips...

I actually quite like that sweeter curry sauce you get form the
chinese chip shops. I wouldn't want it all the time though, nor is it
what I call "curry".

Right. That's what we call "sweet and sour". Usually covering roasted
pig/boar.

By "Curry sauce", I don't usually think of the ketchup sauce that comes
with currywurst immediately. Rather, I picture yellowish sauce (curry,
coconut, pineapple) that comes with chicken.

--
Erick
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Tim C." wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 14:54:03 +0530, William Black wrote in post :
:

but is usually yellow and comes on chips...

I actually quite like that sweeter curry sauce you get form the chinese
chip shops.

So do I, but as you say, it's not 'curry'.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 25th, 2010, 09:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Erick T. Barkhuis" wrote in message

By "Curry sauce", I don't usually think of the ketchup sauce that comes
with currywurst immediately. Rather, I picture yellowish sauce (curry,
coconut, pineapple) that comes with chicken.

Consider spending a day on the Soho Road in Birmingham.

It has the best Indian food, outside India, that I've ever tasted.

I say there rather than Southall because Southall can be hard work if you're
not used to Indian accents, and besides, it's mainly Punjabi food where
Soho Road is a very diverse mixture.

Or you could go to India for a couple of weeks, but that's a very expensive
way to find out about curry...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 25th, 2010, 09:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
george

On Feb 25, 10:02*am, "Tim C." wrote:
-----snipped-----------
Your being from Wisconsin, I can't believe your last statement. *Good
Wisconsin Bratwurst can't be beat, especially if it is chunky. *Try
finding a chunky Bratwurst in a restaurant in Germany, you'll starve
trying!

They're not supposed to be chunky. Doh!

I doubt if in Germany that they would be, as from watching cooking
programs it's interesting to see Germans homogenizing everything,
taking what might be a good chunky soup and turning it into baby
food. The same for other things. I did however see chunky bratwurst
advertised in food stores in Thüringen when we were there this summer,
but unfortunately, none of the restaurants served it. So it appears
to me that other people may also prefer a chunky-style. And to me,
chunky bratwurst is best, having grown up in the US eating and loving
it, not that over-homogenized stuff.

George