Electrical Power Generation of Cruise Ships

Old March 15th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Norman

Default Electrical Power Generation of Cruise Ships

Greetings

This may sound a little off the wall to members of this group so please
accept my apologies if there is a more appropriate place to ask!

Does anyone know offhand (as a ballpark figure) what the ratio of power
available from your typical 50MW vessel would be in port with minimal
hotel loads? I'm working on a project and this topic was brought up as
for auxillary power.

Power would be drawn directly from the 6.6kV rails on the ships.
Target demand is 6,550 megawatts.

Thanks for your time,

-Norman

Old March 16th, 2005, 02:26 AM
Earl

"Norman" wrote in
oups.com:

Greetings

This may sound a little off the wall to members of this
group so please accept my apologies if there is a more
appropriate place to ask!

Does anyone know offhand (as a ballpark figure) what the
ratio of power available from your typical 50MW vessel would
be in port with minimal hotel loads? I'm working on a
project and this topic was brought up as for auxillary
power.

Power would be drawn directly from the 6.6kV rails on the
ships. Target demand is 6,550 megawatts.

Thanks for your time,

-Norman

IIRC a 50MW power plant would be divided 5 MW electric for hotel
loads and 45 MW for propulsion -- which would not be available
for direct electric production. I would estimate you could have
about 2-3 MW available to deliver to shore if the operating
hotel load were minimized. (6.6 Kv?? I thought most marine power
plants operated with 440 v)

There would be a bit more useable for ships with diesel electric
drives with a bit of time in shipyard to provide the external
connections.

Similarly for naval ships. Electric hotel load runs about 10% of
total power production, with little ability to convert shaft
power to electric power.

Old March 16th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Norman

Thanks Earl!

Yes your numbers sound about right and I'm also getting higher % for
hotel demand (10%) but that is probably ABMAX or instant demand.

6.6 kV is right off the genny. Most ships have four to six gennies.
Transformers will typically drop to 480V 3ph for small applications and
controls, etc.

If the hotel loads are minimised to a few hundred kW or less (no pax,
min crew) I suppose available power could be maximized. Propulsion
takes the most anyways and that is all but unnecessary in stable port.

Oh the original figure is wrong on the goal. If 25MW could be drawn
that would actually work well. 6GW is ~50% of Itaipu's output!

Cheers,

Norman

Old March 16th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "Norman" :

Greetings

This may sound a little off the wall to members of this group so please
accept my apologies if there is a more appropriate place to ask!

Does anyone know offhand (as a ballpark figure) what the ratio of power
available from your typical 50MW vessel would be in port with minimal
hotel loads? I'm working on a project and this topic was brought up as
for auxillary power.

Power would be drawn directly from the 6.6kV rails on the ships.
Target demand is 6,550 megawatts.

Thanks for your time,

-Norman

Rough thoughts would be a minimum of 15 amps @ 120 V per cabin,
including crew. This is the minimum, you also need to account for
public areas and ships operations, including the galley.

--
dillon

"When the French are against it, you know we can't
be far wrong." - Adm. Bobbie Ray Inman