Thailand Visa question

Old June 15th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Queequak

Default Thailand Visa question

Hey,

I'm flying into BK on July 20th, then journeying overland in Cam, Nam, and
Laos, flying out of BK on 20th Sept. Because I'm both flying into, and outof,
Bangkok, my travel agent says I need to apply for a 60 day visa BEFORE I leave
England.

However, I'm actually away for 62 days, so a 60 day visa wouldn't suffice
anyway. But, after speaking to a traveller I met at the Thai embassy yesterday
(too late to speak to any officials), he reckoned I should go without a visa
anyway and just apply for a 30 day visa once I landed in BK.

I'm obviously concerned about the visa situation because I don't wanna land in
BK only to be told to leave immediately, so can anyone help me out. Do I need a
60 day visa before I go??

Tom
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Queequak" wrote in message
[...]

It covers only 60 days.

Old June 15th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message

"Queequak" wrote in message
Hey,

BK only to be told to leave immediately, so can anyone help me out. Do I

need a
60 day visa before I go??

It covers only 60 days.

At least in the past the Thai immigration has not been too keen to see your
onward tickets. If you had plans to spend less than 31 consecutive days in
the kingdom, I don't see it worth getting a visa. First you hang around in
Thailand less than 31 days until you have arrived in Indochina in which you
travel a few weeks then you come back to Thailand for the rest of your visit
to Asia (less than 31 days left).

Old June 15th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Viviane

If I understand correctly, you're flying into BKK, leaving Thailand, then
coming back to BKK to fly home. I would think you could get a 30 day visa
on your first arrival and another visa on your second arrival. It would be
a lot easier if you have an outward ticket each time, showing that you will
be leaving the country.

I know it's the bleeding obvious, but you could give the Thai embassy a ring
and they could tell you the real situation. Not as much fun as hearing it
from other travellers though!

Old June 15th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Queequak

If I understand correctly, you're flying into BKK, leaving Thailand, then
coming back to BKK to fly home. I would think you could get a 30 day visa
on your first arrival and another visa on your second arrival. It would be
a lot easier if you have an outward ticket each time, showing that you will
be leaving the country.

I know it's the bleeding obvious, but you could give the Thai embassy a ring
and they could tell you the real situation. Not as much fun as hearing it
from other travellers though!

Yes, you're right. I won't be spending 60 consecutive days in Thailand, flying
in, then overlanding into Vietnam, then back into Thailand for a while to get
the flight out. I'm just concerned they may not grant the first visa if I can't
prove I won't be flying out of Thailand for 62 days.

Think I will give the embassy a ring, but I don't think I'll like what I have
to hear (think it will be standard party line: get visa from UK before you
travel). Just wondered what the realities on the ground are (last time I
entered Thailand from Malaysia, I can't remember whether they saw my tickets or
not..)

Cheers
Old June 15th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Chris Blunt

On 15 Jun 2004 12:36:54 GMT, (Queequak) wrote:

[...]

The reality of the situation is that Thai immigration will almost
certainly not ask you about your ticket, and will just give you 30
days on arrival. There is a slight risk that when you check-in the
airline might raise a question about the dates of your return ticket.
I fly into Bangkok holding only a one-way ticket several times a year,
and on the rare occasions when I've been asked about it, they've been
happy with my explanation that I have an onward ticket waiting to be
picked-up from a travel agent in Bangkok. If you have a printed
itinerary for your Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos flights, even one produced by
yourself, it may be helpful to have that with you when you check-in.

As you guessed, the Thai Embassy will just give you the official line,
but for all practical purposes I don't think you'll have a problem.

Chris

Old June 15th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Queequak

The reality of the situation is that Thai immigration will almost
certainly not ask you about your ticket, and will just give you 30
days on arrival. There is a slight risk that when you check-in the
airline might raise a question about the dates of your return ticket.
I fly into Bangkok holding only a one-way ticket several times a year,
and on the rare occasions when I've been asked about it, they've been
happy with my explanation that I have an onward ticket waiting to be
picked-up from a travel agent in Bangkok. If you have a printed
itinerary for your Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos flights, even one produced by
yourself, it may be helpful to have that with you when you check-in.

Well I'm flying into BK from Sydney - are they likely to question me about the
visa when I check-in in Sydney? The other problem is that I don't have flights
booked/an itinery for my Cam, Nam, Laos route - I'm going overland so there's
really no way to prove I'll leave Thailand anytime within the 30 day visa
requirement. Maybe I could just make a printout of my prospective route so they
can see I intend to travel about?

Tried the embasssy phone number, but the bargain price of £1 a minute for
'automated advice' didn't exactly whet my appetite.

Old June 15th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Sjoerd

"Queequak" schreef in bericht
The reality of the situation is that Thai immigration will almost
certainly not ask you about your ticket, and will just give you 30
days on arrival. There is a slight risk that when you check-in the
airline might raise a question about the dates of your return ticket.
I fly into Bangkok holding only a one-way ticket several times a year,
and on the rare occasions when I've been asked about it, they've been
happy with my explanation that I have an onward ticket waiting to be
picked-up from a travel agent in Bangkok. If you have a printed
itinerary for your Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos flights, even one produced by
yourself, it may be helpful to have that with you when you check-in.

Well I'm flying into BK from Sydney - are they likely to question me about

the
visa when I check-in in Sydney?

They could ask, but as others have said just tell them that you will be
travelling to Cambodia, Vietnam (do you have your visa already?) and Laos,
and in my experience having travelled to Thailand a couple of times without
a return ticket it is never a problem.

The other problem is that I don't have flights
booked/an itinery for my Cam, Nam, Laos route - I'm going overland so

there's
really no way to prove I'll leave Thailand anytime within the 30 day visa
requirement. Maybe I could just make a printout of my prospective route so

they
can see I intend to travel about?

Tried the embasssy phone number, but the bargain price of £1 a minute for
'automated advice' didn't exactly whet my appetite.

Don't worry. Hundreds of travellers every day arrive in Thailand planning to
do exactly what you plan to do, and I have never heard about anyone having a
problem.

Sjoerd