Touring San Francisco

Old August 20th, 2008, 10:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Touring San Francisco

There's a new page at the TouringSFO site at http://geocities.com/touringsfo/
To see it, click on "Golden Gate Bridge" in the right column.

The TouringSFO site at http://geocities.com/touringsfo/ will answer
most of your general questions. Your specific questions will be
answered here.

Here are some comments about TouringSFO:

bgactor2005 said “I really enjoyed reading your TouringSFO site. Good
stuff…”

carriegee said “Wow - [TouringSFO]'s fantastic info. Many thanks!!!”

MOMofONEteen said “Thank you … info you recommended … trip reports -
VERY useful stuff…”

Onmission, London, said “Thanks for the tips - especially introducing
me to the TouringSFO website. It's brilliant for driving directions! …
touring SFO your site … Congrats...”

mez1973, Oldham, United Kingdom said “Thats a nice site there … very
informative.”

DON'T-MISS SIGHTS IN SAN FRANCISCO that includes a TEMPERATURE chart
with a link to current conditions, links to RESTAURANT REVIEW sites
and other sources of reliable information

There's a page of options for getting from/to our airport to your
hotel.

DRIVING DIRECTIONS to San Diego via the Cabrillo and Pacific Coast
highways through Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Monterey/Carmel/Pacific
Grove, Big Sur, Hearst Castle, San Luís Obispo, Santa Barbara, Los
Angeles, and many other towns. Also directions to Yosemite, Death
Valley, and Las Vegas, comments about The Devil's Slide and a page
that's A BIT OF NON-GAMBLING LAS VEGAS

A link to a fantastic map of GOLDEN GATE PARK

There's a link for you to ask How to get THERE! from HERE? via the San
Francisco Municipal Railway and several direct links to various
services that serve us and our visitors.

There's a page ABOUT EARTHQUAKES and a link to one about DRIVING IN
LOS ANGELES

The Flag/Maps page includes

A link to a superb BIKE/WALK map that indicates the steepness of our
streets

Link to SAN FRANCISCO MUNICIPAL RAILWAY ROUTES

Two maps of our CABLE CAR ROUTES

Two maps of our 49-MILE SCENIC DRIVE

A map of THE PRESIDIO

A TOPOGRAPHICAL map

A couple of REGIONAL MAPS and links to maps of many of our DISTRICTS
and NEIGHBORHOODS
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Looks good thanks - I always check your SF site before heading there.
A few questions ...
1. Main page:
====
Warning: Do not look at this map of
GOLDEN GATE PARK

OK why the warning ?
====
2. ... on
http://geocities.com/touringsfo/Articles/DriveDir.html
between the cities there is a character that looks like a rounded E and a
small A
( BIG SUR — ) (French a , and a Euro symbol)
what is that ?
I've seen that symbol on several things for the past few months and not
known.
====
3. One more thing - - not being picky - just a head's up
the header of that page shows :
DRIVING DIRECTIONS San Francisco to Monterey, San LuÃ*s Obispo, Los
Angeles, ...

"Luis" is misspelled .

bobb
================

Old August 21st, 2008, 11:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Aug 20, 1:41 pm, "- Bobb -" wrote:
Looks good thanks - I always check your SF site before heading there.

Thank you for the gratifying comment about the TouringSFO site at
http://geocities.com/touringsfo/

A few questions ...
1. Main page:
====
Warning: Do not look at this map of
GOLDEN GATE PARK

OK why the warning ?

The complete caveat is “Warning: Do not look at this map of GOLDEN
GATE PARK unless you have the time to play with it.”

Open it to find out. Don't say I didn't warn you!

====
2. ... onhttp://geocities.com/touringsfo/Articles/DriveDir.html
between the cities there is a character that looks like a rounded E and a
small A
( BIG SUR — ) (French a , and a Euro symbol)
what is that ?
I've seen that symbol on several things for the past few months and not
known.

Those are em dashes that your software isn't displaying correctly.

====
3. One more thing - - not being picky - just a head's up
the header of that page shows :
DRIVING DIRECTIONS San Francisco to Monterey, San LuÃ*s Obispo, Los
Angeles, ...

"Luis" is misspelled .

Thank you but I think you'll find the problem, again, is with your
software. It's should display as "Luís".

I very much appreciate your kind comment and help.

Icono Clast said:
There's a new page at the TouringSFO site at http://geocities.com/touringsfo/
To see it, click on "Golden Gate Bridge" in the right column.

I'm still tweaking that page so take a relook in a few days.
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

wrote in message
On Aug 20, 1:41 pm, "- Bobb -" wrote:
Thank you for the gratifying comment about the TouringSFO site at
http://geocities.com/touringsfo/
A few questions ...
====
2. ... onhttp://geocities.com/touringsfo/Articles/DriveDir.html
between the cities there is a character that looks like a rounded E and
small A
( BIG SUR — ) (French a , and a Euro symbol)
what is that ?
I've seen that symbol on several things for the past few months and not
known.

Those are em dashes that your software isn't displaying correctly.

Mmmmm.. i was afraid of that.
The technical term for "what I'm not seeing is "EM DASHES" - wiki search
shows it looks like a hyphen - is that right ? ( Since I can't see the
proper info, just checking WHY I can see a hyphen and not an 'em dash'.
AND why the 'em dash' looks the way it does on my screen.) I'll have to
investgate later.

Old August 21st, 2008, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
On Aug 20, 1:41 pm, "- Bobb -" wrote:
[...]

I just tried to open your webpage in Word - those characters THEN appear
as dashes !
I can't find any info about it / why, but I'll t/s IE settings / fonts
later.
Thanks

Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:29 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Aug 21, 8:46 am, "- Bobb -" wrote:
"- Bobb -" wrote in messagenews:3bWdnWCPA7ahGDDVnZ2dnUVZ_vmdnZ2d@comca st.com...
wrote in message
On Aug 20, 1:41 pm, "- Bobb -" wrote:
Thank you for the gratifying comment about the TouringSFO site at
http://geocities.com/touringsfo/
A few questions ...
====
2. ... onhttp://geocities.com/touringsfo/Articles/DriveDir.html
between the cities there is a character … what is that ?

Those are em dashes that your software isn't displaying correctly.

I had intended, but forgot to, include the following:

..Hyphen = -
.En dash = –
Em dash = —

They're displaying as distinct characters on my screen. Can't predict
what'll happen on yours.

I just tried to open your webpage in Word - those characters THEN appear
as dashes !

You didn't mention "Luís". Did msWord display it correctly?

Part of the problem is that Bill didn't consult professionals in
fields before mis-using words that have had single meanings in those
fields for centuries. For example, a type face is not a font but,
According To Bill, font=face=font=face. A type face is a design, such
as Goudy or Helvetica or Futura, to name three of thousands, that has
nothing to do with language; a font is related to language without
regard to the type face. English fonts, for example, have many "e"s
and only one "z" but a German font has several "z"s and "ß"s and
perhaps fewer "e"s and characters with umlauts. Spanish fonts include
"ñ", inverted punctuation and, along with French, accented characters.
Those font characteristics apply to EVERY and ANY type face.

"Font" comes from "fountain" and in this case means a fountain of
movable type. Since the demise of movable type, the casting of fonts
has become a rarity but the meaning of "font" is still relevant for
clarity of communication.

Another thing that's bugged me is setting margins rather than line
lengths. When I go to write a letter, I know in m'mind whether it'll
be short or long and think, for example, that it might be twenty lines
of twelve point type so the line length should be about six inches.
But, According To Bill, the additional step of calculating the
difference between the length of the lines and the width of the paper
is necessary, Width-Lenth÷Margins (w-l/m). What a nuisance! It's been
adopted by other programs for the written word.

Whew! All that's been bugging me for years and, thanks to you, I
finally wrote it. Thank you for providing the opportunity.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

wrote in message
On Aug 20, 1:41 pm, "- Bobb -" wrote:
Thank you for the gratifying comment about the TouringSFO site at
http://geocities.com/touringsfo/
A few questions ...
====
2. ... onhttp://geocities.com/touringsfo/Articles/DriveDir.html
between the cities there is a character … what is that ?

Those are em dashes that your software isn't displaying correctly.

I had intended, but forgot to, include the following:

...Hyphen = -
..En dash = –
Em dash = —

They're displaying as distinct characters on my screen. Can't predict
what'll happen on yours.

I just tried to open your webpage in Word - those characters THEN appear
as dashes !

You didn't mention "Luís". Did msWord display it correctly?

What I tried was - Save Page - in IE - Luis is still messed up.
Click 'edit page' for
http://geocities.com/touringsfo/Articles/DriveDir.html
in Word ( live) then - save page - change title and LUIS is OK there, so
just displaying wrong in my IE.

Part of the problem is that Bill didn't consult professionals in
fields before mis-using words that have had single meanings in those
fields for centuries.
==
That's how the MAC caught on .. you probably know the story about Steve
Jobs / calligraphy etc., and not only seeing the need but actually caring
about how it looked. WYSIWYG /TrueType ... A deal with Adobe to integrate
PostScript , and bingo - desktop publishing. Were it not for him ( and
Xerox PARC gurus), and left only to MSFT, we'd still see a black desktop
with a C:\ prompt. Bill can always see the market potential - in someone
else's ideas . Too bad Steve invited Bill over for a look-see at the MAC
( thinking it was 'them against IBM')
==
[...]

===
Anytime - that's the least I can do .

Old August 24th, 2008, 05:29 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

I had intended, but forgot to, include the following:
..Hyphen = -
.En dash = –
Em dash = —

I'm a professional graphic designer. Basically hyphens are used to
join words, such as "first-prize winner"; en dashes are slightly wider
and are used in ranges such as "2-5 years" (see note below), and em
dashes are wider still and indicate a parenthetical thought -- like
this -- in a sentence (see note below). The actual rules governing
them are more complicated, but that's the basics.

NOTE: In the examples above I used regular hyphens because I'm not
sure if all newsreader programs would correctly render actual en and
em dashes.

When doing professional typesetting for printed pieces it's important
to use the proper ones, but its common for web sites just use ordinary
hyphens to play it safe because some browsers don't render en dashes
and em dashes correctly.

a type face is not a font

True, but in common usage the words have been used almost
interchangeably for years, even by many professionals, because the
difference between them was made mostly irrelevant a long time ago by
changes in typesetting technology.

James
Old August 24th, 2008, 02:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

wrote:
There's a new page at the TouringSFO site at
http://geocities.com/touringsfo/

I like the part about getting to your hotel from SFO. I began calling it
Mills Field to confuse people that ask which airport I'm using for a
particular flight.