Shore excursions in Mditerranean ports?

Old February 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
bonvoyage

Default Shore excursions in Mditerranean ports?

Would like to hear your comments and suggestions for private shore
expeditions in Mediterranean ports, especially: Montecarlo, Livorno,
Civitavecchia and Kusadasi.

Also Valencia & Cadix.

We are not looking to rent a car for 2, but perhaps if you know of a
resonably priced alternative to ship shore ex. we could possibly get
one or two other couples to join us.

We are plannining on taking a HOHO in Lisbon & Barcelona. would you
also suggest that for Rome? Has anyone stayed in Livorno for the day
and did you find it interesting?

All and any suggestions and tips welcome.

TIA
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_3_]

Default Shore excursions in Mediterranean ports?

bonvoyage wrote in news:ab3401df-7015-4f6a-
:

We are not looking to rent a car for 2, but perhaps if you know of a
resonably priced alternative to ship shore ex. we could possibly get
one or two other couples to join us.

We are plannining on taking a HOHO in Lisbon & Barcelona. would you
also suggest that for Rome? Has anyone stayed in Livorno for the day
and did you find it interesting?

All and any suggestions and tips welcome.

TIA

A day in Livorno with Lucca, Pisa and Florence only a short train ride
away? Do you need to do laundry? maybe then, otherwise you will not find
much in Livorno.

Rome can be done on one's own with planning. thik about what you want to
see and then plan for it. The train from Civitavecchia includes the
subway you take the regional train as opposed to the nonstop which
costs more and doesn't give the (BRA something BRAG IIRC) rate. The
folks at the station will know what you want say round trip with metro
included. There is a lot of walking if you do it yourself and you won't
see everything - but that is difficult even with a guide. Choose your
battles and go.

Kusadasi, I think a shore ex is worth the cost just remember that when
they stop at a rug factory/shop the tour is over, look for the ship and
walk away.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Feb 3, 1:49*pm, bonvoyage wrote:
Would like to hear your comments and suggestions for private shore
expeditions in Mediterranean ports, especially: Montecarlo, Livorno,
Civitavecchia and Kusadasi.

Civitavecchia is an easy train ride to Rome ... 15 minute walk to the
station ... We've been to Rome 3 times for about 11 days total ... and
that's not enough ... Just plan on St. Peter's Vatican museum ( a
train stop) ... or something else ... but you'll only get a small
taste of Rome ...
Livorno is for Florence Pisa or Lucca ... we did all three but just
touching on Pisa and Florence (planning a trip back to Florence to
spend a few days in Florence some other day ...) Pisa was too touristy
and not that exciting ...(we did not climb the tower..) We loved
Lucca ... great place to just walk around in ...

We just hired taxis for these ... The cab drivers are as good as the
guides ... except for their English ... In fact ... they are more
inclined to show you the real Italy ... rather than just the typical
tourist areas ...

Kusadasi we hired a car and driver ... (got a guide too) ... very
economically ...like $300 for the day ... Visited Mary's house
(religious) ... Ephus(ruins) ... and Sirince (rural Turkish life) ...
and some other nearby sites... I can get the website that we got this
from ...

Save your shopping for Sirince ... amazing bargains in authentic home
made items ...
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
bonvoyage

Dear Mr. Coulter,

Thanks ever so much for your answer.

I forgot to mention that we'll be in Livorno on April 25 when almost
everything in Italy seems to be shut down or else working on Sunday
hours. Have actually been In Pisa and Florence a few times but was
hoping to be able to go to Siena or Volterra but cannot seem to find
which transport is available on that day. By the way, what is Lucca? I
must admit my ignorance on that one.

Thanks for the train trip re Rome. Have also been there, so will limit
my visit. Would actually like to go into the countryside but am afraid
of those Italian drivers.

I do appreciate that you, a travel agent, took some of your time to
answer someone who is not a client. It goeas above and beyond. Your
clients must be lucky to have you as an advisor.

Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message TIA
Kusadasi, I think a shore ex is worth the cost just remember that when
they stop at a rug factory/shop the tour is over, look for the ship and
walk away.

That stop at the rug factory is a killer...too much pressure to buy and a
lot of time wasted unless you really want to buy a rug... I would hire a cab
driver (after setting a price with him first and it helps if you have
another couple to share the fare) who will take you to Ephesus to see the
ruins and meet you on the other side and then take you to visit where St.
John took the Virgin Mary after the crucifixion and St. John's Basilica and
his burial site, if that is something that might interest you. We have
been there twice and would go a third time; it was that interesting...Allow
yourself at least 2-3 hours for the ruins ...
Beware of anyone who suddenly "attaches" to you seeking to be your guide and
expecting you to pay them...Choose a qualified guide if you go that route,
who really knows the history of the ruins. Also the cab drivers right at the
port do not always charge the best rate as the ones further into the
city...Be ready to bargain and have fun!

http://www.ephesustours.biz/ephesusmap.htm
You might check sites like the one below, also.
http://www.ephesustours.biz/ephesust...tailormade.htm

--Jean

Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_3_]

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in
:

Beware of anyone who suddenly "attaches" to you seeking to be your
guide and expecting you to pay them...Choose a qualified guide if you
go that route, who really knows the history of the ruins. Also the cab
drivers right at the port do not always charge the best rate as the
ones further into the city...Be ready to bargain and have fun!

this is why I felt OK about the ship's tour. I have trouble figuring out
who I can trust in Turkey as everyone seems resolute about getting into
my pocket and not coming up for air unitll my bank accounts are dry. No
is for some reason absolutely non translatable for Turks. It seems to be
a concept that eludes them at every turn.

Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in
:

Beware of anyone who suddenly "attaches" to you seeking to be your
guide and expecting you to pay them...Choose a qualified guide if you
go that route, who really knows the history of the ruins. Also the cab
drivers right at the port do not always charge the best rate as the
ones further into the city...Be ready to bargain and have fun!

this is why I felt OK about the ship's tour. I have trouble figuring out
who I can trust in Turkey as everyone seems resolute about getting into
my pocket and not coming up for air unitll my bank accounts are dry. No
is for some reason absolutely non translatable for Turks. It seems to be
a concept that eludes them at every turn.

Did you go into the tent city market not far from the pier? There whole
families descend upon you insisting you NEED something they are selling in
their stalls! ;-D

--Jean

Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_3_]

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in
:

[...]

No, but when I told them I already bought a silk carpet, in Rhodes, they
were ready to avenge Turkish honor! (we did go into the old town section
that is all shops)

Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
bonvoyage

On Feb 3, 6:36*pm, Joseph Coulter wrote:
"Jean O'Boyle" wrote t:

"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message
.97.136...
"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in
t:

[...]

904 631 8863 cell- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all the advice re Turkey. Actually, have already been to
Ephesus but not on a cruise. We went there on our own and visited
quite a bit. did not see the terrace houses however, and did not go to
Kusadasi. I was wondering how to get from Kusadisi to Ephesus: should
one take a taxi, public transport, or do it the way we travelled
around turkey, by communal taxi? Problem is, that was 5 years ago and
maybe times have changed.

We have visited much of the Mediterranean before, either by rental
car, or by public transportation, but never on a cruise where time is
very limited and where we aren't exactly sure what to do when we
disembark without wasting too much time.

Gusss that's the gist of my question. Plus hoping to discover new
sites to see (that we missed before), new things to do (that we
haven't tried) and new experiences to discover.

Still worried about April 25. What does happen on that day in Italy?

TIA

P.S. We stopped voluntarily in carpet shops when visiting Turkey. We
chose a time when we were tired and wanted a rest, always enjoyed a
glass of warm apple tea, listened to their spiel and then said "How
interesting, Too bad they don't quite fit in with our silk Chinese
rugs." They never bothered us after that. We don't have silk Chinese
rugs but learned that trick from a friend of ours .

Old February 4th, 2008, 10:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Duncan Craig

"bonvoyage" wrote in message
Would like to hear your comments and suggestions for private shore
expeditions in Mediterranean ports, especially: Montecarlo, Livorno,
Civitavecchia and Kusadasi.

Also Valencia & Cadix.

We are not looking to rent a car for 2, but perhaps if you know of a
resonably priced alternative to ship shore ex. we could possibly get
one or two other couples to join us.

We are plannining on taking a HOHO in Lisbon & Barcelona. would you
also suggest that for Rome? Has anyone stayed in Livorno for the day
and did you find it interesting?

All and any suggestions and tips welcome.

TIA

When we were in Kusadasi, rather than take the ship's tour to Ephesus, we
just went ashore (as soon as the ship was cleared, to beat the crowds) and
took a taxi to Ephesus. It WAS a bit of a hair-raising ride, but the driver
took us to the BACK entrance of Ephesus, so that we wouldn't be caught up
all day in the mobs coming in the main gate and progressing through the
site. The only time we were in crowded conditions was when our path crossed
with the guided tours, about 1/2 way through as they worked their way in the
opposite direction. The only drawback was having to follow the guidebook
backwards!
When we were finished, we exited by the main entrance, crossed the road in
front and took a local bus back to Kusadasi. It was a great day.
Oh, yes, one more advantage: our entire exploration of the Ephesus site was
downhill!