United Airlines, new luggage policy

Old February 4th, 2008, 07:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Default United Airlines, new luggage policy

I just heard on the news that United Airlines will now be charging
$25.00 for the second piece of checked luggage. If you are a member of
their frequent flyer program, you do not have to pay this new fee.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52481,00.html

First they reduced the weight from 70lbs to 50lb and now are charging
for a second bag. We used to pack for a cruise using 3 suitcases, but
with the weight reduction we have had to take a separete, small bag for
shoes and a few other heavy things.

They are just making flying harder and harder by the day and I can't
wait untill we are able to drive to the ports instead of having to fly.

sue
Old February 4th, 2008, 08:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
sheree

that stinks. especially since united and us air the mainstays out of phl.
we travel this month on united so we're ok.
we usually have 3 or 4 bags at the new lower wait (depending on whether we
do a separate duffel for the snorkeling stuff) so we'll just add more to the
carryon to always be at 3.
sheree

Old February 4th, 2008, 08:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John & Lola

"sue mullen" wrote in message
I just heard on the news that United Airlines will now be charging $25.00
for the second piece of checked luggage. If you are a member of their
frequent flyer program, you do not have to pay this new fee.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52481,00.html

First they reduced the weight from 70lbs to 50lb and now are charging for
a second bag. We used to pack for a cruise using 3 suitcases, but with the
weight reduction we have had to take a separete, small bag for shoes and a
few other heavy things.

They are just making flying harder and harder by the day and I can't wait
untill we are able to drive to the ports instead of having to fly.

sue

As long as you have extra bedrooms Sue....lol...

Lola in Hamilton

Old February 4th, 2008, 09:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
grossbea

It applies to "Non-members or General Members of Mileage Plus on
non-refundable Economy fares."

It doesn't apply to "All First or Business class customers / All Economy
class customers on refundable fares / All Premier and Premier Associate
Mileage Plus members on any fare, or Global Services, 1K, Premier Executive
Mileage Plus members and Star Alliance Gold members on any fare."

Old February 4th, 2008, 10:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

sheree wrote:
that stinks. especially since united and us air the mainstays out of phl.
we travel this month on united so we're ok.
we usually have 3 or 4 bags at the new lower wait (depending on whether we
do a separate duffel for the snorkeling stuff) so we'll just add more to the
carryon to always be at 3.

At least you could fly out of Newark instead, we are stuck with flying
out of Philly. It is kinda far for us to go to Newark or down to Baltimore.

The only good thing here is that Kevin has FF miles with United, so for
now we don't have to worry about paying for the second bag each.

sue

Old February 4th, 2008, 11:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , sue mullen
wrote:

The only good thing here is that Kevin has FF miles with United, so for
now we don't have to worry about paying for the second bag each.

I never check more than one bag but I can see what is coming. Next they
will add a charge for any checked bags.

Soon I will be traveling like George and wear the same shirt
five times and no socks :-)

--
Charles
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Feb 4, 6:30*pm, Charles wrote:
In article , sue mullen

wrote:
The only good thing here is that Kevin has FF miles with United, so for
now we don't have to worry about paying for the second bag each.

I never check more than one bag but I can see what is coming. Next they
will add a charge for any checked bags.

I've been searching European airlines like Easy Jet ... and find a lot
of cheap prices ... until one reads the small print about baggage
allowances ... some are extremely restrictive ... with large charges
for going over the limit ...

Old February 5th, 2008, 02:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

grossbea wrote:

It applies to "Non-members or General Members of Mileage Plus on
non-refundable Economy fares."

It doesn't apply to "All First or Business class customers / All Economy
class customers on refundable fares / All Premier and Premier Associate
Mileage Plus members on any fare, or Global Services, 1K, Premier Executive
Mileage Plus members and Star Alliance Gold members on any fare."

Out of curiosity, what does air booked by the cruise line count
as?

Bill