Alaska cruise with 1 year old baby ?

Old December 30th, 2003, 08:24 AM
ppp-man

Default Alaska cruise with 1 year old baby ?

Well,

Since most of the responses you've received so far are so negative I'll just
say what we experienced during our 12 days Mediterranean cruise with our 8
months old son this summer. I am sure you already know that travelling with
an infant is different; for us it has been fun. The hardest part of the
trip was the 9 hours flight to London. It was tyring for me keeping him
happy for so long but we managed just fine and we didn't keep anyone awake
with him crying or screaming.

During the cruise we found it was easier to do tours on our own (didn't feel
like spending half of the day on a tour bus with the little one, so we took
trains and ferries instead at our own pace). The passengers on the ship
were nice and friendly. We were careful and when baby was sleepy we just
went back to our cabin and let him sleep. Although there were other infants
on board who were taken to the formal dining room (some were kids of the
officers), we opted to have our dinners in the room. It was faster and we
didn't have to worry about our little one disturbing anyone. We also didn't
go to any of the shows (but if you wanted to you could easily take turns
with your wife). We were on a Celebrity ship and there was no baby sitting
available for kids under 2 (not that we would have left him with a stranger
anyway). He was also too young to play in the kids' club. However, we were
given toys to bring back to our room for the duration of the cruise. They
kept him entertained in the playpen while we had dinner.

Finally about medical care. We live in Vancouver and have been on a cruise
to Alaska twice. On your cruise you are going to be visiting American and
possibly Canadian ports. It's not as though you are considering a tour of a
third world country!

All the best.

Sara

Old December 30th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:24:18 GMT, "ppp-man" wrote:

Finally about medical care. We live in Vancouver and have been on a cruise
to Alaska twice. On your cruise you are going to be visiting American and
possibly Canadian ports. It's not as though you are considering a tour of a
third world country!

Tell that to the brain hemorrhage and the delivering mother who they
had to Helivac in between squalls to Tampa from Cuba on our last
Brilliance cruise.

The Not So Fine Art Of Google
http://makeashorterlink.com/?E29A321E6
Old December 31st, 2003, 06:54 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:56:31 -0500 in rec.travel.cruises,
Cruising Chrissy wrote:

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:24:18 GMT, "ppp-man" wrote:

Finally about medical care. We live in Vancouver and have been on a cruise
to Alaska twice. On your cruise you are going to be visiting American and
possibly Canadian ports. It's not as though you are considering a tour of a
third world country!

Tell that to the brain hemorrhage and the delivering mother who they
had to Helivac in between squalls to Tampa from Cuba on our last
Brilliance cruise.

which has NOTHING to do with medical care in alaska.

PLONK.

Old January 5th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Lee

"ppp-man" wrote in message news:SCaIb.47323$6b2.2711@edtnps84...
Although there were other infants
on board who were taken to the formal dining room (some were kids of the
officers), we opted to have our dinners in the room. It was faster and we
didn't have to worry about our little one disturbing anyone.

What a shame...the dining room experience on cruises can really be a
highlight. I appreciate you not wanting your child to disturb other
cruisers in the dining room, but how sad for you that you missed out.

Lee