Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!!

Old November 14th, 2004, 09:50 AM
alohacyberian

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Alan Pollock wrote:
Considering that smaller nations all have their images to uphold, and take
national stories like the above and hold them up as emblems, I wonder how
many
stories we're Not hearing, since the opposite isn't really needed in the
US?
You rarely hear a US national emblematic war story about how others were
so
damned bad and the US was so damned good in comparison.

Among the many, many, many American troops in WW2 and other theaters, all
we
seem to hear from non-Americans is that US troops made nothing but
mistakes,
that US troops were lazy, couldn't fight, and let others do their fighting
for
them. How true is any of this? Honestly now.

I would suggest that the problem is the Hollywood image that so many
Americans have
accepted as true, that they single handed saved Europe on 2 world wars, and
out of
the goodness of their hearts. This is hardly the case. The truth is that
Americans
were reluctant to get involved in either conflict and would have preferred
to stay
out of them entirely. To watch American movies you would get the
impression that
they were the only players, or that they were the only army who saw any
victories.

The general characterizations as presented in Hollywood productions are
mostly false
and self engrandizing. Sadly, they are the impressions that many Americans
demonstrate as being held as truths.

I would suspect that you are unaware of the fact that there are many, many
Americans who realize that Hollywood movies are for entertainment and are
well known for being historically inaccurate. And I don't know ANY history
buffs, military or otherwise, who get their information from Hollywood
movies. You grouse about American movies presenting inaccuracies about
America and then proceed to present inaccuracies about America. Double
standard? But, I suppose there are more fair-minded people on the planet who
are well aware that the Americans did make some valuable contributions in
both world wars (even if they were "reluctant" to do so) and that the
suffering and casualties in Europe would have been far greater without the
American assistance. There's nothing quite as galling as ingratitude. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old November 14th, 2004, 09:50 AM
alohacyberian

"Alan Pollock" wrote in message

http://www.rpfuller.com/gcse/history/6.html

"The Second World War was caused by Fascist aggression and the failure of
democratic powers to stop this aggression.

The rearmament of Germany was a cause for war because it broke the Treaty
of
Versailles (28th June, 1919)

The remilitarization of the Rhineland (7th march, 1936) was a cause of war
because it broke the Treaty of Versailles and the Locarno Pacts (1925)

The Rome-Berlin Axis (October 1936) was a cause of war because it united
the
aggressive fascist powers and divided Europe into hostile camps.

Chamberlain's appeasement policy (after may 1937 ? March 1939) was a cause
of
war because it broke the Treaty of Versailles and Treaty of St. Germain
(10th
September, 1919)

The Anschluss of Germany with Austria (13th march, 1938) was a cause of war
because it broke the Treaty of Versailles and Treaty of St. Germain (10th
September, 1919)

The Nazi annexation of the Sudetenland after the Munich conference (29th
September 1938) was a cause of war, because it broke the Treaty of St.
Germain.

The Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia in March 1939, cause war because it
defied the Munich agreement and ended Britain's appeasement policy.

The Nazi-Soviet Pact (29th August 1939) caused war because it sealed
Poland's
downfall.

The Nazi invasion of Poland (1st September 1939) caused war because Britain
had guaranteed Poland's borders."

Superb precis! Thanks. KM

Old November 14th, 2004, 09:50 AM
alohacyberian

"Bill Pittman" wrote in message
In article ,
Alan Pollock wrote:

Among the many, many, many American troops in WW2 and other theaters, all
we
seem to hear from non-Americans is that US troops made nothing but
mistakes,
that US troops were lazy, couldn't fight, and let others do their fighting
for
them. How true is any of this? Honestly now.

OH?? I've been hearing just the opposite from the right-wing kooks on
this NG. Everyone ELSE is lazy & can't fight, and we win all their wars.

Who's "we"? You surely aren't an American. KM

Old November 15th, 2004, 12:32 AM
GCRYAR

could it have been the french ladies, and not the french defenders that slowed
them down?

Glen
Old November 15th, 2004, 12:32 AM
GCRYAR