We survived Europe !

Old May 28th, 2006, 07:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Eastern Europe Advice

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy" wrote in
message news:1hg25qe.i76ng71tl2kbxN%this_address_is_for_sp ...
Karen Selwyn wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy wrote:

It depends. On a trip last summer (Krakow, Budapest, Vienna,
Bratislava)
we found the best way to get from Krakow to Budapest was actually to
fly
from Katowice!

Advice please! My husband and I are thinking ahead to next summer and
we're interested in a trip to Prague, Budapest, and Krakow. (Vienna and
Warsaw are also under consideration; however we don't want to cram in
too many destinations.) Assume we'll have sixteen days for the trip, two
of which will be the trans-Atlantic travel days. What seems like a
resaonble itinerary? In what order would you recommend we visit these
destinations?

I do not expect to rent a car. How would you recommend we travel between
destinations?

Train. I think DFM's itinerary is a nice one, though there could be some
longish train journeys (Krakow in particular though you can overnight it
I suppose)- my own preference is usually to try and keep travel time to
a minimum. If you visited Budapest and Prague, I would consider Vienna
too, as it's convenient to get to from both by rail. (Prague to Vienna
4.5 hours on direct trains, Vienna to Budapest 3 hours.) I've not been
to Prague though, so I can't comment on it. We loved all the cities we
visited though- spent 3 days in Krakow, 4 each in Budapest and Vienna,
then 2 in Bratislava, where we returned to Manchester from. The airline
that we flew to Budapest from Krakow on (wizzair) no longer flies that
route, so I don't know if you'll be able to get tickets for around GBP
20 like we did!

I'll second David's comments about Vienna. We did a similar trip about ten
years ago, starting in Vienna. The history of Bratislava, Prague, Budapest,
and Krakow is tied into the Hapsburg Empire. I found that going to Vienna
first gave me a firmer historical background from which to understand those
other areas.

Old May 28th, 2006, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default We survived Europe !

"Dave Frightens Me" wrote in
message

I have no idea what you mean. Just who is Hairy Enfield, and how does
he relate to this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/ar...66601350.shtml

"Mr Don't Wanna Do It Like That, an irritating know-all who announced his
unwanted presence with 'Only me!' and was forever counselling 'You don't
want to do it like that...'."

Ian

Old May 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Do you really thing my choice was to spend only two days in Paris. Do you NOT
think we would love to have spent months there getting to know the people
and their customs??

Why not just find a way to do it? Many of us have, and no-one ever
regrets living in Europe for a while!

Because for many Americans, taking a long time off to travel or even to
work abroad can easily wreak havoc on your career path. Many American
employers still don't value international work experience, let alone
non-work-related travel. Any sign that you have any real interests off
the straight and narrow career track means that you're not 100%
committed.

Old May 28th, 2006, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sun, 28 May 2006 16:08:40 +0100, Dave Frightens Me
wrote:

On Sun, 28 May 2006 10:46:45 GMT, Cathy L
wrote:

On Sun, 28 May 2006 08:42:43 +0200, Jacqueline wrote:

Oh, please, please don't assume that most Americans travel this way.
Give me a break!

I'm going to get real tired, real fast of people telling us how we
should have spent OUR time and money.

If you're not interested in "how we spent our spring vacation", by all
means block out anything I wright.

Relax....do't get upset!!

I only meant that you enjoy a country (region) more if you stay there
longer! Than you may 'taste and feel' the soul of that area! Often you
discover that there are far more interesting things to see than the
usuall touristic stuff!

Jacqueline

Jacqueline,

Sorry, but do you know how annoying it is to post notes giving my
experiences only to have certain people rip it apart. Do you really

--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

Ok, See you next Thursday.

Cathy
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 28 May 2006 11:46:01 -0700, "Iceman" wrote:

Do you really thing my choice was to spend only two days in Paris. Do you NOT
think we would love to have spent months there getting to know the people
and their customs??

Why not just find a way to do it? Many of us have, and no-one ever
regrets living in Europe for a while!

Because for many Americans, taking a long time off to travel or even to
work abroad can easily wreak havoc on your career path. Many American
employers still don't value international work experience, let alone
non-work-related travel. Any sign that you have any real interests off
the straight and narrow career track means that you're not 100%
committed.

I had a boss once who complained in my annual review that I didn't
read anything related to my work in my spare time.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sun, 28 May 2006 09:25:22 -0700, irwell wrote:

Bologna is a good place to base yourself for
visiting Venice\, Florence etc. Never did try their
spaghetti.

The tortellini are a better choice.
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sun, 28 May 2006 20:29:26 +0100, Dave Frightens Me
wrote:

On 28 May 2006 10:56:21 -0700, "nicandal"
wrote:

I only meant that you enjoy a country (region) more if you stay there
longer! Than you may 'taste and feel' the soul of that area! Often you
discover that there are far more interesting things to see than the
usuall touristic stuff!

Jacqueline

Jacqueline,

Sorry, but do you know how annoying it is to post notes giving my
experiences only to have certain people rip it apart. Do you really
thing my choice was to spend only two days in Paris. Do you NOT think
we would love to have spent months there getting to know the people
and their customs??

Why not just find a way to do it? Many of us have, and no-one ever
regrets living in Europe for a while!

I'm sure she would love to DFM but that's a decision for her to make,
don't you think?
As was her holiday choice. I'm getting tired of the Harry Enfield's "Mr
" characters in here. You said it all over a
month ago, it's time to give it a rest now.

I have no idea what you mean. Just who is Hairy Enfield, and how does
he relate to this?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
---

I don't know who Hairy Enfield is either, but please don't be so
condescending as to make us believe you have no idea what he means.

Cathy
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Sarah Banick wrote:

[]
I'll second David's comments about Vienna. We did a similar trip about ten
years ago, starting in Vienna. The history of Bratislava, Prague, Budapest,
and Krakow is tied into the Hapsburg Empire. I found that going to Vienna
first gave me a firmer historical background from which to understand those
other areas.

Vienna was actually almost the last destination on our trip, but I agree
with you about the connection- and it can work in reverse!

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sun, 28 May 2006 09:18:53 -0400, Karen Selwyn
wrote:

Cathy L wrote:

Although, I believe my husband only had one hamburger, (in Amsterdam),
other than McDonalds, the whole trip. I'm not sure where you read;

"His trip report is littered with criticism of the hamburgers he ate
throughout the trip."

You're right. I incorrectly combined his references to unsatisfactory
pizza and hamburgers. Still, the principle of what I wrote is the same:
identify a couple of dishes per country that you'll feel comfortable
eating for your next trip. If your husband had known that pastitsio
(pasticio) was ground meat and maccaroni casserole with a baked cheese
sauce on top, wouldn't he have preferred that to Greek pizza?

Karen Selwyn

Thet dish sounds yummy!

Cathy
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sun, 28 May 2006 10:14:04 -0500, Joseph Coulter
wrote:

In Greece it used to be normal to be taken into the kitchen to pick
your meal when there were language problems. Is that a thing of the
past?

I had to get personally acquainted with my fish in Rhodes, was taken over
and introduced to a whole tray full of the critters.

On one of the Greek islands we were on, they placed plates of fried
octopus and squid in front of us. The smell could have gagged a
maggot.

Cathy