Railway progress into Darwin

Old September 14th, 2003, 03:08 PM
PhilD

Default Railway progress into Darwin

Went down to see track laying cross Elizabeth River bridge, just on edge of
Palmerston, this afternoon. Interesting to watch, but didn't get to see
ballast laying, so must go and have another look tomorrow.

Looks likely to finish track laying itself within a fortnight, many months
ahead of schedule.

From the lengths of rail being laid, already welded together, it should be a
much quieter trip than I remember from the old Ghan.

Phil

Old September 15th, 2003, 12:23 PM

"PhilD" wrote in message ...
Went down to see track laying cross Elizabeth River bridge, just on edge of
Palmerston, this afternoon. Interesting to watch, but didn't get to see
ballast laying, so must go and have another look tomorrow.

Looks likely to finish track laying itself within a fortnight, many months
ahead of schedule.

From the lengths of rail being laid, already welded together, it should be a
much quieter trip than I remember from the old Ghan.

Phil

Phil
I lived in Darwin for quite awhile in the 60's and 70's, what happened
to the track that ran south to Larrimah, I believe it was ripped up
about 20 years ago. Was it the wrong gauge or something.
Cheers Ed
Old September 15th, 2003, 02:18 PM
PhilD

wrote in message
om...
"PhilD" wrote in message

Went down to see track laying cross Elizabeth River bridge, just on edge

of
Palmerston, this afternoon. Interesting to watch, but didn't get to see
ballast laying, so must go and have another look tomorrow.

Looks likely to finish track laying itself within a fortnight, many

months
ahead of schedule.

From the lengths of rail being laid, already welded together, it should

be a
much quieter trip than I remember from the old Ghan.

Phil

Phil
I lived in Darwin for quite awhile in the 60's and 70's, what happened
to the track that ran south to Larrimah, I believe it was ripped up
about 20 years ago. Was it the wrong gauge or something.
Cheers Ed

Ripped up in 1976.
http://www.aarc.com.au/aarc/info/history.html

It was narrow gauge, 3'6". The track was not really suitable for fast
freight usage, more like the old Ghan from Marree to Alice, SLOW. I don't
remember what the gauge was, but the track was quite winding in places and
cut back and forth across the Stuart Hwy. Some bridges were subject to being
cut in the wet season. As the Stuart Hwy was upgraded, there was no way that
it could be justified changing to and from the road and rail at such a short
distance from Darwin. I seem to remember that it took about 12 hours from
Larrimah to Darwin, but going by road was at least half that. Added to that
was the extra time to change the freight from one to another as well. Even
if the old line had stayed in operation longer, it would have had to been
realigned anyway.

Amazingly they have kept the old Ferguson River rail bridge, but with some
upgrading, and I'd love to see the first full freight train cross that, but
from a safe distance. I remember using it when the Stuart Hwy was cut a
number of times.

The great pity of it coming to an end is that our stupid Australian
governments can't just continue on and build in the other missing links of
Tennant Ck to Mt Isa and from Katherine down the west coast.

Phil

Old September 15th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Geoff Lillico

"PhilD" wrote in message

wrote in message
om...
"PhilD" wrote in message

Went down to see track laying cross Elizabeth River bridge, just on

edge
of
Palmerston, this afternoon. Interesting to watch, but didn't get to

see
ballast laying, so must go and have another look tomorrow.

Looks likely to finish track laying itself within a fortnight, many

months
ahead of schedule.

From the lengths of rail being laid, already welded together, it

should
be a
[...]

The jury is still out as to whether the new Alice to Darwin link will ever
meet the building costs. I would think that any investors will be cautious
before sinking further funds into other marginal rail projects.

Geoff Lillico

Old September 16th, 2003, 10:14 AM
PhilD

"Geoff Lillico" wrote in message

"PhilD" wrote in message

wrote in message
om...
"PhilD" wrote in message

Went down to see track laying cross Elizabeth River bridge, just on

edge
of
Palmerston, this afternoon. Interesting to watch, but didn't get to

see
ballast laying, so must go and have another look tomorrow.

Looks likely to finish track laying itself within a fortnight, many

months
ahead of schedule.

From the lengths of rail being laid, already welded together, it

should
be a
[...]

The justification of infrastructure building such as these shouldn't just be
measured by the short term cash returns, rather we should be looking into
the future. 100 years to get around to building 1500 km of railway line and
how many years and still no alternate Sydney airport is rather pathetic.
We're run by committee's that eternally debate anything without really ever
getting anywhere. Our leaders have no vision of the future of this country.
Our politicians never have a problem finding money for pet projects that
don't really better the country, but a steady program for rail projects is
usually put off to a future generation. Meanwhile we have to rely on road
transport, so everything ends up designed around it, regardless of long term
consequences.

Having said that, looking at the timetable and costs of the Ghan service
to/from Darwin, I just can't see it being worthwhile and unlikely that I
would ever use it, except with a large lottery win.

Phil

Old September 27th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Odysseus

The justification of infrastructure building such as these shouldn't just be
measured by the short term cash returns, rather we should be looking into
the future. 100 years to get around to building 1500 km of railway line and
how many years and still no alternate Sydney airport is rather pathetic.
We're run by committee's that eternally debate anything without really ever
getting anywhere. Our leaders have no vision of the future of this country.
Our politicians never have a problem finding money for pet projects that
don't really better the country, but a steady program for rail projects is
usually put off to a future generation. Meanwhile we have to rely on road
transport, so everything ends up designed around it, regardless of long term
consequences.

I'm a Yank.

Our politicians are the same way and always have been. The following is from
a song in the musical 1776. It's a fictionalized story about what transpired
leading up to the Continental Congress declaring independence from Great
Britain.

They may sit here for years and years in Philadelphia
These indecisive grenadiers of Philadelphia
They can't decide on what is right or wrong
or what is good or bad
I'm convinced the only purpose
this congress ever had
was to gather here specifically
to drive John Adams mad!

Chorus:
You see we piddle twiddle and resolve
not one damn thing do we solve
piddle twiddle and resolve
nothing's ever solved
in foul, fetid, fuming, foggy, filthy, Philadelphia.

Old September 18th, 2003, 01:00 AM
Keith Sayers

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:18:49 GMT, "PhilD" wrote:

Some bridges were subject to being cut in the wet season.

True, but some were the reverse. I can remember bumping over the
rail bridge at Adelaide River when the river below was running a
banker.

The great pity of it coming to an end is that our stupid Australian
governments can't just continue on and build in the other missing links of
Tennant Ck to Mt Isa and from Katherine down the west coast.

Or get us stupid taxpayers to finance it ....

Katherine down the west coast ....... ! That really is
something to spend this century talking about! How about a link from
Kalgoorlie to Newman? (I mean to talk about ..... )
Keith Sayers, Canberra, Australia
Mail : 6 Clambe Place,
CHARNWOOD, ACT 2615
http://www.pcug.org.au/~kmsayers
Old September 18th, 2003, 09:51 AM
PhilD

"Keith Sayers" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:18:49 GMT, "PhilD" wrote:

Some bridges were subject to being cut in the wet season.

True, but some were the reverse. I can remember bumping over the
rail bridge at Adelaide River when the river below was running a
banker.

The great pity of it coming to an end is that our stupid Australian
governments can't just continue on and build in the other missing links

of
Tennant Ck to Mt Isa and from Katherine down the west coast.

Or get us stupid taxpayers to finance it ....

As stupid tax payers we're already funding waste almost anywhere anyone
cares to look at, and I don't exclude up here as well.

Katherine down the west coast ....... ! That really is
something to spend this century talking about! How about a link from
Kalgoorlie to Newman? (I mean to talk about ..... )

I have nothing against road trains, but there must be a better way than
building and maintaining the main highways to cope with them. IF (a big if)
the Darwin Port does dramatically increase in activity as a result of the
new rail line, then increased freight would flow to Qld and Northern WA.
Filling in the rail gap from Tennant Ck to Mt Isa would link into the
proposed inland rail line from Qld down through NSW and to Vic. One eastern
states consortium has already started studies for that, but I can't remember
if they wanted it to go from Mt Isa to Tennant or Katherine. Apparently they
felt it financially viable.

With proposed irrigation activities from the Ord River dam, increased
transport needs from that region may make a line from Katherine viable.

I wasn't trying to suggest that these lines should be done at a fast rate,
but it seems to me that the expertise of the current construction crew for
the Alice to Darwin line looks like being lost.

Maybe they could get down your way and start a fast train track from
Melbourne through Canberra and to Sydney. Who knows, there may not even be a
need to have a second airport for Sydney.

Old September 18th, 2003, 01:00 AM
Keith Sayers

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 14:08:01 GMT, "PhilD" wrote:

Went down to see track laying cross Elizabeth River bridge, just on edge of
Palmerston, this afternoon. Interesting to watch, but didn't get to see
ballast laying, so must go and have another look tomorrow.

As a nostalgic former Top-Ender myself I would be interested to
have more occasional such reports if you have the time ....

Old September 18th, 2003, 09:26 AM
PhilD

"Keith Sayers" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 14:08:01 GMT, "PhilD" wrote:

Went down to see track laying cross Elizabeth River bridge, just on edge

of
Palmerston, this afternoon. Interesting to watch, but didn't get to see
ballast laying, so must go and have another look tomorrow.

As a nostalgic former Top-Ender myself I would be interested to
have more occasional such reports if you have the time ....

Keith Sayers, Canberra, Australia
Mail : 6 Clambe Place,
CHARNWOOD, ACT 2615
http://www.pcug.org.au/~kmsayers