Too late?

Old June 8th, 2005, 09:14 AM

Default Too late?

Hi All,

My wife & I are contemplating a 2 week trip to South-west Europe (
Greece, Italy, France & Spain) from India during the first 2 weeks of
September. My questions.

1. Is it too late now to get good flight rates?

2. What is the best way to get to Italy from Greece? I was wondering if
we could take a ferry or something.

3. We plan to travel by train through Italy = France = Spain. I have
been to Germany and liked the online rail ticket booking system. Do we
have something similar for these countries? I am trying to find out how
early I need to make train reservations.

Thanks,
Shiv

Old June 8th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

My wife & I are contemplating a 2 week trip to South-west Europe (
Greece, Italy, France & Spain) from India during the first 2 weeks of
September. My questions.

1. Is it too late now to get good flight rates?

Who knows! Airlines will give out incentive fares when the planes are not
full. Sometimes it is best to wait for so called "last minute" fares. But
you could miss out completely because there is no guarantee that a last
minute fare will be offered.

2. What is the best way to get to Italy from Greece? I was wondering if
we could take a ferry or something.

Ferry to Bari. If you buy a Eurail Pass then the ferry is free!

3. We plan to travel by train through Italy = France = Spain. I have
been to Germany and liked the online rail ticket booking system. Do we
have something similar for these countries? I am trying to find out how
early I need to make train reservations.

Suggest you look into the Eurail Pass it may save you some money. There are
various passes depending on your needs. Do a bit of Googling!
My children have travelled the European rail systems with a Eurail Pass and
have rarely booked early. Only once did they have to wait till the next rain
because the one they wanted was full.

Have a wonderful trip.

Gerrit - Oz

Old June 8th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Alec

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

My wife & I are contemplating a 2 week trip to South-west Europe (
Greece, Italy, France & Spain) from India during the first 2 weeks of
September. My questions.

1. Is it too late now to get good flight rates?

2. What is the best way to get to Italy from Greece? I was wondering if
we could take a ferry or something.

3. We plan to travel by train through Italy = France = Spain. I have
been to Germany and liked the online rail ticket booking system. Do we
have something similar for these countries? I am trying to find out how
early I need to make train reservations.

Are you Indian nationals? Do you have multiple-entry Schengen visa? If not,
it can take some time to get the necessary visa and you should look into it
now before you book your flights.

Alec

Old June 9th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Bob Vandiver

One thing to consider is that if you are coming from
India you may discover rather different prices compared to those of us
from North America.

BV
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Shivakumar

Thanks All. I have the visa part covered.

I am taking Oughtfour's tip and kocking Greece off the list ( Some
other time to try authentic Kebobs and Baklava). I am keeping Spain as
optional depending on availibility of time. Neither my wife nor I are
into museums, so I expect we will take lesser time than normal to cover
Italy & France. We are more interested in exploring the countryside
with little old towns and I would definitely like to look at some
castles.

Once I determine air-fares and book tickets,I will plan out the details
of exactly what we will do.

Regards,
Shiv

Old June 9th, 2005, 02:47 PM
OughtFour

Shivakumar wrote:
I am taking Oughtfour's tip and kocking Greece off the list ( Some
other time to try authentic Kebobs and Baklava). I am keeping Spain as
optional depending on availibility of time. Neither my wife nor I are
into museums, so I expect we will take lesser time than normal to cover
Italy & France. We are more interested in exploring the countryside
with little old towns and I would definitely like to look at some
castles.

Once I determine air-fares and book tickets,I will plan out the details
of exactly what we will do.

Since you have not yet bought your tickets, I will chime in with the
suggestion to fly "open jaws" rather than round trip in and out of the same
city.

In other words, if you will be traveling from Rome to Barcelona, don't buy a
ticket that will require you to return to Rome to fly home. Fly home from
Barcelona.

This will save you time on the ground--effectively adding at least a day to
the sightseeing part of your trip. Likely it will save you money too, if you
factor in the cost of returning to Rome.

Have a great time!

Old June 9th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Shivakumar wrote:

Thanks All. I have the visa part covered.

I am taking Oughtfour's tip and kocking Greece off the list ( Some
other time to try authentic Kebobs and Baklava). I am keeping Spain as
optional depending on availibility of time. Neither my wife nor I are
into museums, so I expect we will take lesser time than normal to cover
Italy & France. We are more interested in exploring the countryside
with little old towns and I would definitely like to look at some
castles.

Instead of less time in Italy, if you are interested in little old towns
you may never get out of Tuscany. Or, if you start there, you may
remain in Umbria or Marche. While I like to spend time in museums I
spent a hurried 10 days in Tuscany & Umbria (well 1 each in
Emelia-Roamgna & in Marche). I doubt if I would have seen much of what
was available in 30 days. However 10 days is what I had.

Old June 9th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Frank F. Matthews

OughtFour wrote:

Shivakumar wrote:

[...]

Unless he is intending to use a car. In that case a round trip to
wherever rental is reasonable might be best. Drop off charges can kill you.