Traveling around the States

Old October 15th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Rowan Bridge

Default Traveling around the States

I've managed to arrange three weeks off work in December and I wanted to
travel around the US a bit. I've been to some of the east coast and Chicago,
but not much else really. The only real criteria is that whereever I go
needs to be reasonably easy to get around by public transport. I was
thinking of going to San Francisco for a few days, on to maybe Dallas or
Houston, Altanta and then stopping off in Washington for a few days to see a
friend of mine. I don't know how feasible such a trip is or indeed what the
cheapest way of doing it would be, so all suggestions welcome.

Old October 15th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Peter L

"Rowan Bridge" wrote in message
I've managed to arrange three weeks off work in December and I wanted to
travel around the US a bit. I've been to some of the east coast and

Chicago,
but not much else really. The only real criteria is that whereever I go
needs to be reasonably easy to get around by public transport. I was
thinking of going to San Francisco for a few days, on to maybe Dallas or
Houston, Altanta and then stopping off in Washington for a few days to see

friend of mine. I don't know how feasible such a trip is or indeed what

the
cheapest way of doing it would be, so all suggestions welcome.

Only SF and Washington DC fit your criterion.

Old October 15th, 2003, 08:39 PM
Juliana L Holm

Rowan Bridge wrote:
I've managed to arrange three weeks off work in December and I wanted to
travel around the US a bit. I've been to some of the east coast and Chicago,
but not much else really. The only real criteria is that whereever I go
needs to be reasonably easy to get around by public transport. I was
thinking of going to San Francisco for a few days, on to maybe Dallas or
Houston, Altanta and then stopping off in Washington for a few days to see a
friend of mine. I don't know how feasible such a trip is or indeed what the
cheapest way of doing it would be, so all suggestions welcome.

My experience is that Dallas and Houston are not easy to get around using
public transport. Possible maybe, not really easy.

--
Julie
**********
Old October 15th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Juliana L Holm

Peter L wrote:
friend of mine. I don't know how feasible such a trip is or indeed what

the
cheapest way of doing it would be, so all suggestions welcome.

Only SF and Washington DC fit your criterion.

Central Atlanta is reasonably easy to get around in, but that might not be so
fascinating.

Some alternative places I might suggest;

San Antonio. While it does not have good transport, most of the interesting
parts of it are withing walking distance of the Alamo/Riverwalk. There are
some exceptions, and you might want to spring for a cab or look at the bus
service.

New Orleans. Again limited public transport, but a very small central district,
and the limited public transport that exists covers the area very well. I can
spend a week in NOLA easily without a car.

Savannah. They have a good bus system, if not any kind of rail or subway, and
a very walkable historic district.

Julie

--
Julie
**********

Old October 15th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Peter L

"Rita" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:38:43 -0700, "Peter L"

wrote:

"Rowan Bridge" wrote in message
I've managed to arrange three weeks off work in December and I wanted

travel around the US a bit. I've been to some of the east coast and

Chicago,
but not much else really. The only real criteria is that whereever I go
needs to be reasonably easy to get around by public transport. I was
thinking of going to San Francisco for a few days, on to maybe Dallas

or
Houston, Altanta and then stopping off in Washington for a few days to

see
friend of mine. I don't know how feasible such a trip is or indeed what

the
cheapest way of doing it would be, so all suggestions welcome.

Only SF and Washington DC fit your criterion.

New Orleans? Walk, take street cars, boat trips on the river?
Enough to do for a few days without going far afield.

Santa Barbara is a great Southern California city if you want the
Southern Cal experience. Very compact, you can get around by
walking, free trolley and city buses. Lots to do in a relatively
small area. Beaches right off the downtown, etc.

Not on his list of cities he wants to visit.

Old October 15th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Juliana L Holm

Peter L wrote:
[...]

But he is asking for suggestions, not saying these are the cities he wants
to visit. He said his only criteria are being able to get around easilyl
by public transport, and that all suggestions are welcome.

So suggesting other cities is reasonable.

--
Julie
**********
Old October 15th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Rowan Bridge" wrote in message
I've managed to arrange three weeks off work in December and I wanted to
travel around the US a bit. I've been to some of the east coast and

Chicago,
but not much else really. The only real criteria is that whereever I go
needs to be reasonably easy to get around by public transport. I was
thinking of going to San Francisco for a few days, on to maybe Dallas or
Houston, Altanta and then stopping off in Washington for a few days to see

friend of mine. I don't know how feasible such a trip is or indeed what

the
cheapest way of doing it would be, so all suggestions welcome.

San Francisco is an excellent choice as is Washington DC ,
I wouldnt really recommend Dallas or Houston especially
if you are reliant on public transport.

San Diego is quite a good bet and has rather good public
transport by US standards.

As for the practicalities, what you need is an open jaw ticket
which allows you to fly in to one airport and back from
another or even better a return ticket to SF that allows
a stopover in Washington or Baltimore.
ISTR that United fly in to Dulles, talk to a good travel agent,
if you dont know one try Trailfinders

Keith

Old October 15th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Peter L" wrote in message

"Rowan Bridge" wrote in message
I've managed to arrange three weeks off work in December and I wanted to
travel around the US a bit. I've been to some of the east coast and

Chicago,
but not much else really. The only real criteria is that whereever I go
needs to be reasonably easy to get around by public transport. I was
thinking of going to San Francisco for a few days, on to maybe Dallas or
Houston, Altanta and then stopping off in Washington for a few days to

see
friend of mine. I don't know how feasible such a trip is or indeed what

the
cheapest way of doing it would be, so all suggestions welcome.

Only SF and Washington DC fit your criterion.

Hardly

San Diego has a reasonable public transport system
as do Portland and Seattle. In Las Vegas a car is completely
unnecessary with shuttles running down the strip every few
minutes. Boston is purgatory with a car and as for Manhattan !

Keith

Old October 15th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Hatunen

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:52:09 +0100, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

San Diego has a reasonable public transport system
as do Portland and Seattle. In Las Vegas a car is completely
unnecessary with shuttles running down the strip every few
minutes. ...

Assuming, of course, that the Strip (and Fremont Experience) are
the only valid reasons for visiting Las Vegas.