Traveling around the States

Old October 15th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Peter L

Default Traveling around the States

"Rita" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:26:10 -0700, "Peter L"

wrote:

"Rita" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:38:43 -0700, "Peter L"

wrote:

"Rowan Bridge" wrote in message
I've managed to arrange three weeks off work in December and I

wanted
travel around the US a bit. I've been to some of the east coast and
Chicago,
but not much else really. The only real criteria is that whereever I

go
needs to be reasonably easy to get around by public transport. I was
thinking of going to San Francisco for a few days, on to maybe

Dallas
or
Houston, Altanta and then stopping off in Washington for a few days

see
friend of mine. I don't know how feasible such a trip is or indeed

what
the
cheapest way of doing it would be, so all suggestions welcome.

Only SF and Washington DC fit your criterion.

New Orleans? Walk, take street cars, boat trips on the river?
Enough to do for a few days without going far afield.

Santa Barbara is a great Southern California city if you want the
Southern Cal experience. Very compact, you can get around by
walking, free trolley and city buses. Lots to do in a relatively
small area. Beaches right off the downtown, etc.

Not on his list of cities he wants to visit.

Yes, I am aware of that. However, since some of those he
mentioned lack good public transport, I thought I'd present
some alternatives to consider. What is your beef with that?

I have no beef. Is this your first day on usenet?

Old October 15th, 2003, 10:48 PM
Peter L

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"Peter L" wrote in message

"Rowan Bridge" wrote in message
I've managed to arrange three weeks off work in December and I wanted

travel around the US a bit. I've been to some of the east coast and

Chicago,
but not much else really. The only real criteria is that whereever I

go
needs to be reasonably easy to get around by public transport. I was
thinking of going to San Francisco for a few days, on to maybe Dallas

or
Houston, Altanta and then stopping off in Washington for a few days to

see
friend of mine. I don't know how feasible such a trip is or indeed

what
the
cheapest way of doing it would be, so all suggestions welcome.

Only SF and Washington DC fit your criterion.

Hardly

The cities you mention are not on his list. I should've said "on your list,
only SF and DC fit your criterion."

San Diego has a reasonable public transport system
as do Portland and Seattle. In Las Vegas a car is completely
unnecessary with shuttles running down the strip every few
minutes. Boston is purgatory with a car and as for Manhattan !

Keith

Old October 15th, 2003, 11:15 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Peter L" wrote in message

The cities you mention are not on his list. I should've said "on your

list,
only SF and DC fit your criterion."

He said he was open to suggestion as he wanted
to EXTEND his list.

Keith

Old October 16th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Gregory Morrow

Rowan Bridge wrote:

I've managed to arrange three weeks off work in December and I wanted to
travel around the US a bit. I've been to some of the east coast and

Chicago,
but not much else really. The only real criteria is that whereever I go
needs to be reasonably easy to get around by public transport. I was
thinking of going to San Francisco for a few days, on to maybe Dallas or
Houston, Altanta and then stopping off in Washington for a few days to see

friend of mine. I don't know how feasible such a trip is or indeed what

the
cheapest way of doing it would be, so all suggestions welcome.

Skip Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston entirely, as there is absolutely nothing
of interest in any those places. Plus which, their public "transportation"
systems are ghastly (when they do indeed exist).

I'd suggest New Orleans, Savannah GA, or Charlestion SC. They are unique
and like nothing else in the States, plus they are small and compact.
Washington DC is a good choice, too.

--
Best
Greg

Old October 16th, 2003, 12:33 AM
Gregory Morrow

Juliana L Holm wrote:

Central Atlanta is reasonably easy to get around in, but that might not be

so
fascinating.

Outside of weekday business hours, central Atlanta is absolutely dead. And
there is nothing of interest to see, anyways....

--
Best
Greg

Old October 16th, 2003, 02:50 AM
Juliana L Holm

Gregory Morrow wrote:

Juliana L Holm wrote:

Central Atlanta is reasonably easy to get around in, but that might not be

so
fascinating.

Outside of weekday business hours, central Atlanta is absolutely dead. And
there is nothing of interest to see, anyways....

Unless you are a Coke addict (soft drink).

I agree, was just trying to say it more gently.

--
Julie
**********
Old October 16th, 2003, 04:08 AM
Jorn

SF and Washington DC are very nice

Dallas and Houston, nothing much to see there, just big cities;
instead visit Austin and San Antonio if you're passing through Texas (and
maybe the Gulf Coast with Padre Island and Port Aransas, very nice)

"Rowan Bridge" schreef in bericht

Old October 16th, 2003, 05:04 AM
Gregory Morrow

Juliana L Holm wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:

Juliana L Holm wrote:

Central Atlanta is reasonably easy to get around in, but that might not

be
so
fascinating.

Outside of weekday business hours, central Atlanta is absolutely dead.

And
there is nothing of interest to see, anyways....

Unless you are a Coke addict (soft drink).

Is there a charge to get into that Coke museum? Should be free!

I agree, was just trying to say it more gently.

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Old October 16th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Icono Clast

"Gregory Morrow" wrote:
Is there a charge to get into that Coke museum?

Yes!

Should be free!

Yes!

Should also be avoided unless you're older than 50 as it's really a
nostalgia trip that's probably a bore for younger people. You will
learn nothing worth knowing. If you can tolerate the vile swill that
they sell, there's a place to sample the various taste formulations
preferred by different nationalities. That was interesting. Little
else was.
A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old October 16th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Juliana L Holm

Gregory Morrow wrote:

Unless you are a Coke addict (soft drink).

Is there a charge to get into that Coke museum? Should be free!

Yes, there is a charge, and it certainly should be free since it is
essentially a museum of Coke advertisement. I was in Atlanta a few years
ago on business and we checked it out. The last room, where you can try
Coke products from all over the world is the best part of the musuem.

Julie

--
Julie