Shopping in NY - will I be ruined, or can I find bargains?

Old November 15th, 2003, 04:57 PM
John123

Default Shopping in NY - will I be ruined, or can I find bargains?

Hi!

Since things in New York in general seem to be more expensive than most
other places, I wonder if that is true when you go shopping (mainly for
clothes, sports gear and so on) too? Should I stick to window shopping, or
are there places where I can find quality stuff at reasonable or low prices
at this time of year?

Old November 15th, 2003, 05:34 PM
John123

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:57:41 GMT, "John123" wrote:

Hi!

Since things in New York in general seem to be more expensive than most
other places, I wonder if that is true when you go shopping (mainly for
clothes, sports gear and so on) too? Should I stick to window shopping,

or
are there places where I can find quality stuff at reasonable or low

prices
at this time of year?

If you stick to the high end shops NYC is very expensive but if you
seek out the right stores, no place in the US has bargains like NYC.

Thanks - so, where are the high end shops located, and where can I find the
bargains?

Old November 15th, 2003, 05:54 PM
John123

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:34:28 GMT, "John123" wrote:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:57:41 GMT, "John123" wrote:

Hi!

Since things in New York in general seem to be more expensive than

most
other places, I wonder if that is true when you go shopping (mainly

for
clothes, sports gear and so on) too? Should I stick to window

shopping,
or
are there places where I can find quality stuff at reasonable or low

prices
at this time of year?

If you stick to the high end shops NYC is very expensive but if you
seek out the right stores, no place in the US has bargains like NYC.

Thanks - so, where are the high end shops located, and where can I find

the
bargains?

What are you interested in buying?

Mainly clothes. But possibly also some sports gear, electronics, arts and
souvenirs.

Old November 15th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Larry Finch

John123 wrote:

[...]

Clothes: Lower east side (delancy street and its side streets), Century 21
department store (next to ground zero).
Electronics: J&R, Park Row across from city hall park. Camera equipment: B&H
Photo & Video.\

Larry

--
Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 47"
W 74° 03' 56"

Old November 16th, 2003, 01:00 AM
vince

For great bargains you have to visit canal street from lexington to
west broadway clothes and electronics at huge discounts. I go down
there once a week and buy and then sell the stuff on ebay
vinny
www.shop7.com
Old November 16th, 2003, 01:38 AM
Xanthe

It depends on what you want to buy. Century 21 is not bad - but it's
like a circus on weekends and really stressful. Loehmanns, on the
West Side, is also very reasonable.

But if you want to buy quality stuff/high-end goods, at reasonable and
low prices, I suggest going outside the city. Trek to a shopping
outlet nearby, at Woodbury Commons or New Jersey - it'll probably be
your best bet for bargains.

Xanthe Sonza

Old November 16th, 2003, 06:29 AM
Brian Wickham

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:57:41 GMT, "John123" wrote:

Hi!

Since things in New York in general seem to be more expensive than most
other places, I wonder if that is true when you go shopping (mainly for
clothes, sports gear and so on) too? Should I stick to window shopping, or
are there places where I can find quality stuff at reasonable or low prices
at this time of year?

B&H Camera generally has better prices on electronics than J&R but a
smaller selection. They are generally unbeatable for cameras but I
prefer to buy my film and supplies at Calumet on W 19 Street. The
prices are the same or better and the service is much better (no
lines). Check the bins in Calumet for close-out items! Nevertheless,
if you are buying a camera at B&H the service is knowledgeable and
friendly. Plus whatever you want is in stock and immediately
available.

J&R Music World is great for CDs and DVDs. This week they had a sale
on all Warner label CDs. List $17.99 is normally $15.99 but on sale
this week at $11.99. Some discs were $9.99. It's also the biggest
selection in town not counting Virgin which has stuff no one else knew
existed. The only problem is everything at Virgin is high priced.
Check the Village Voice (it's free) for sale ads.

For clothing, besides Century 21which is always worth a look, there is
Filene's Basement at Broadway & 79 Street or on 6th Ave at 18th
Street. Or Sy Syms on E 54 Street at Park Ave. Both these places
had some really good men's shoes until recently but now seem to be in
a lull. The same for men's suits. Filene's had some beautiful wool
suits this summer but they are mostly gone now. Any of these places
may have a great selection or nothing worth pawing over. It depends
on how lucky you get. That being said, anyone who pays more than $30
for a $59 all-cotton Polo dress shirt is a sucker. They are always
available somewhere on sale.

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!
In New York always check the newspapers for sales at department
stores. When you go to breakfast buy the NY Times and the Daily News,
your two best sources for sale information. Macy's will advertise a
two day sale just one day in advance. When Lord & Taylor has a big
sale there is no place better to buy clothes, especially the end of
season sales such as in January.
END OF IMPORTANT STUFF.

I have been to the Lower East Side a number of times over the last two
years and can't find any good reason to shop there except for a few
oddball items, or a pastrami sandwich at Katz's Deli. IMO the old
days of Orchard and Delancey Streets are over except for some dry
goods dealers and ladies' underwear stores.

Anyone who thinks New York is expensive hasn't been trying. Yes, an
apartment is expensive and so are most hotel rooms, but I can have a
full breakfast in any number of places for under $5, lunch for under
$6 and dinner for $10. Try that in Las Vegas without having to sit
next to a wino! Of course that rules out Nobu, The Gramercy Tavern
and their ilk but even in those places you will spend what you would
at home for the best meal in town except it will be three times better
(some home towns automatically excluded of course, like San
Francisco). I find that when I travel around the USA it always costs
me more to eat than at home in NYC. That's partly because I don't
know the best spots but largely because in many cases there are no
best spots!

I suppose people think NY is expensive because they want to go to
places like Tavern on the Green at all costs. So they fulfill there
dream, have a so-so or sometimes lousy meal, pay a large sum of money
for it, then go home and tell everyone that it costs too much to visit
NY. The joke is on them because no one eats at Tavern on the Green
unless they live no closer than 50 miles from it. Everyone in NYC
knows it's overpriced and the food is mediocre.

Sports gear offers less choices. For selection and price I would go
to Paragon Sports on Broadway at 17 Street just above Union Square
Park. If you have access to a car then try Ramsey Outdoor on Route 17
in Paramus New Jersey. The last time I was there they had English
Barbour all-weather jackets ridiculously cheaper than in NYC. But
that was a while ago.

If you go to Paragon continue up Broadway to 22 Street. If it is a
sunny day you will have the best photo view of the Empire State Bldg.
Believe me, the view is almost overpowering!

If you are looking for the latest books on the best seller lists go to
the west side of Broadway between 76 - 77 Street on weekends. A
street vendor there has the latest books at half price. There is no
better deal on books anywhere. While you're there have breakfast or
lunch at Big Nick's a few yards away. They know how to cook eggs plus
they flame broil one of the best burgers in the city. "Zero" on
ambiance though!

If you have any specific items you are shopping for let us know. NY
is the kind of place where someone knows a store that has a great deal
on a few individual items. All of us know different neighborhoods and
see different stores in our daily comings and goings.

Brian Wickham
Old November 16th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Pan

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:54:37 GMT, "John123" wrote:

Mainly clothes. But possibly also some sports gear, electronics, arts and
souvenirs.

The others (especially Brian Wickham) have covered the rest, so now it
remains for me to ask what "arts" means.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.

Old November 16th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Me

In article om,
"John123" wrote:

Hi!

Since things in New York in general seem to be more expensive than most
other places, I wonder if that is true when you go shopping (mainly for
clothes, sports gear and so on) too? Should I stick to window shopping, or
are there places where I can find quality stuff at reasonable or low prices
at this time of year?

How often do you get to NY, and I assume you're referring to New York
City, right? If this is an infrequent visit to the city, I can think of
a long list of things to do that are far more interesting than shopping.
Unless you live in the back woods somewhere, you can probably find
bargains by surfing the web from the comfort of your own home and not
have to worry about carrying your packages around as you travel.

That being said, one of my favorite stores to visit in New York City is
J&R's which is just across from City Hall in Lower Manhattan on Park
Avenue. While you're there, if the weather is nice, take a walk across
the Brooklyn Bridge to enjoy the wonderful scenery of Manhattan from the
bridge as you walk back.