Boston / New York from UK - Late October

Old February 12th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Ann B.

Default Boston / New York from UK - Late October

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:26:41 -0000, "rupa" wrote:

Thanks for the hire car tips.

"Shawn "Me" Hearn" wrote in message
In article , "rupa"
wrote:

Hi,

My 11 year old daughter and I are flying into Boston from London on

Friday
22 October and departing Sunday 31st. (It's only our second time in the
states - we went to Florida last year.)

The plan is to spend the first weekend in Boston (have already booked a
hotel via priceline), pick up a hire car on the Monday morning and do a

six
day round trip to Sturbridge, the Berkshires, a couple of days in NYC

and
back along the coast (Newport and maybe Cape Cod) ending up at Logan
airport.

We're interested in visiting historical and tourist sites, maybe a bit

of
gentle hiking if the weather's nice and just enjoying discovering a new

part
of the world.

I'd be very grateful for some advice about a couple of things. Firstly,

am I
right in assuming the most sensible option for hiring a car would be to

pick
it up from Logan airport? I've read that driving in Boston can be
difficult - will it be manageable getting on the right route from Logan
airport to Sturbridge?

I suggest you pick up the car from an agency near your hotel and do it
on the day you plan to leave Boston. Avoid driving in Boston and the
surrounding area at all costs if you value your sanity. Believe me. I
have driven in many American cities, including Boston and NYC more times
than I can remember. Compared to Boston, driving in NYC is a piece of
cake. If the hotel where you plan to stay in Boston is in the down
town area, you will also likely pay a very high rate to park the car
and you'll find that while in Boston, the public transportation system,
especially the "T" (what Londoner's refer to as the Tube) is a better
option in many situations. You will also probably save money by booking
your car through an off-airport site. There are a number of reasonably
priced shuttle services that can get you to/from the airport and take
you to/from your hotel.

Secondly, I'd like to park in a small town / suburb and catch a train

(or
bus) into NYC for 1 or 2 nights. Please could you recommend somewhere

with a
good rail link into Grand Central Station and safe affordable parking at

the
station. Preferably somewhere pleasant and interesting in it's own right
where we could stay a night before or after we go into the city.

That, I am not sure of. If you were coming from south of NYC, I
could easily answer, since that's the way I get to NYC when i don't
need to drive in Manhattan.

The Tarrytown area in Westchester has some interesting historical
mansions, etc, to visit. Phillipsburg is one that comes to mind; and
others (The home of President Franklin D. Roosevelt is up in that
vicinity somewhere). I'm not sure about the commute or long-term
parking, but it's a good area to give you a short ride (1 hr?) into
NYC and possibly some sights as well.

It's a long way off, but have a wonderful visit!
Cheers,
Ann

To email: replace 'REMOVE' with 'b' in email address.