Chicago restaurants

Old April 21st, 2004, 05:03 PM
Martin Timmerman

Default Chicago restaurants

Jerry & Carol Schull wrote:

Going to Chicago early May. Any suggestions for restaurants downtown near
Michigan and Water St?

I have been a visitor to this area many times. Some restaurants that I
have liked in the area a

- Weber Grill (going there again on next trip)
- Blackhawk Lodge
- Papagus
- South Water Kitchen
- Grand Lux Cafe

You have a lot of options in this neighbourhood. See
http://www.chicago.il.org/dining_1.html for some of those options.

Old April 21st, 2004, 06:16 PM
Bill Pittman

In article ,
Martin Timmerman wrote:

Jerry & Carol Schull wrote:

Going to Chicago early May. Any suggestions for restaurants downtown near
Michigan and Water St?

I have been a visitor to this area many times. Some restaurants that I
have liked in the area a

- Weber Grill (going there again on next trip)
- Blackhawk Lodge
- Papagus
- South Water Kitchen
- Grand Lux Cafe

Is the Berghoff still there & good as ever?

--
Bill Pittman; change for e-mail as indicated
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:31 PM
Larry

Bill Pittman wrote:

Is the Berghoff still there & good as ever?

The food I've had at the Berghoff during the past five years is
pathetic pseudo-German. Even the bratwurst is lousy.
I expected so much there the first time I went, and have been *so*
disappointed.

-- Larry

Old April 21st, 2004, 09:38 PM
Larry

Jerry & Carol Schull wrote:

Going to Chicago early May. Any suggestions for restaurants downtown near
Michigan and Water St?

Topolobampo is world-class; the flavors and quality will astound you.
Spiaggia is excellent -- the cafe is too, and much less stodgy. The
wine flights at Bin 36 are always interesting, and the food is very
good.

If you like excellent food coupled with terrific atmosphere and lively
music, take a ten minute cab ride to Marche.

-- Larry

Old April 23rd, 2004, 07:09 AM
eric h

- Papagus

You're better off ditching Papagus and getting over to Greektown for the
real thing. Almost any of the Greektown joints will blow Papagus out of
the water.

Is the Berghoff still there & good as ever?

I found the portions skimpy the last time I was there, which is a sad
commentary on German food. Lunch was a tasty bargain, but for dinner, I'd
get on the Brown line to Irving Park, from which it's a short walk to any
of 3 tasty Germany joints. Resi's Bierstube is a bar with sausage plates
and a few other things. The kraut and potato salad are both wonderful.
Laschet's is probably what you remember Berghoff food to be. Glunz's
Bavarian Kitchen takes a pleasant nouvelle twist to German classics, but
doesn't ruin them, and serves absolutely the best Thuringer I've ever had.

--
---
"I never had to pretend I felt the lyrics. I could always relate to the words."