Grand Canyon - Can't hike in/out

Old April 18th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Russell Patterson

If you get a chance and have the time, try going around to the N Rim.
On the way you can see Zion and Bryce which offer tremendous scenery
without having to walk very far from your vehicle.

The somewhat long drive to the N Rim (one way in/out) is on a plateau
that has you driving through wide meadows in an alpine like setting
with plenty of wildlife along the way. (Mule Deer are plentiful) Keep
an eye out for the elusive Kaibab squirrel. We had one run across the
road in front of our car. Very few tourists get such an opportunity.
No, we didn't get close enough to run it over if anybody was thinking
that!

Old April 18th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Keith W

"Russell Patterson" wrote in message
If you get a chance and have the time, try going around to the N Rim.
On the way you can see Zion and Bryce which offer tremendous scenery
without having to walk very far from your vehicle.

Trouble is they are going in a couple of weeks and the access
road to the Noth Rim doesnt usually open until mid May

Keith

Old April 18th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Ken

Mike Walker wrote in
:
Just setting off on a trip that will get us the Grand Canyon in about
2 weeks. My wife and I are seniors and out-of-shape enough (with
significant medical "challenges") that preclude even thinking about
hiking down into the canyon. Any suggestions for decrepid old foggies
(other than watching while all the fit young hikers march off? :-) TIA

Spend half a day driving along the Grand Canyon rim, but then spend more time
at some of the nearby parks. Bryce Canyon, for example, is much more
accessable to novice hikers. There are lots of extremely scenic half-day
hikes in Bryce. Zion also has some very nice easy hikes. Bryce is higher up
in the mountains, so is cooler during the summer. Zion is warmer during the
early and late season.9

Old April 19th, 2005, 05:10 AM
??

Mike Walker wrote:

Hey folx;

Just setting off on a trip that will get us the Grand Canyon in about
2 weeks. My wife and I are seniors and out-of-shape enough (with
significant medical "challenges") that preclude even thinking about
hiking down into the canyon. Any suggestions for decrepid old foggies
(other than watching while all the fit young hikers march off? :-) TIA
. . . . Mike
'Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful
and the powerless means to side with the powerful,
not to be neutral.' Paolo Freire

Why not DRIVE to the bottom of Grand Canyon. SERIOUSLY!
From p. 12 of the September/October issue of "Country Discoveries"----

"A New View of an Old Favorite"

by John and Bobbi Tarnow, Field Editors, Fox River Grove, IL

"For sheer amazement and beauty, few things top the awe-inspiring views
from the rim of the Grand Canyon. But did you know you can actually
drive to the bottom of this veneraable national treasure?

That's what we discovered while tracing historic old Route 66 between
Kingman and Seligman in northwestern Arizona. To do so, you take a
little-known gravel road on the Hualapai (pronounced "wall-uh-pie")
Reservation, which is immediately south of the lower Grand Canyon.

You need to buy a permit at the Hualapai Lodge in Peach Springs. After
that, you set out on Diamond Creek Road (also know as Reservation Road
6), just a block away, for the 21-mile trip north to the bottom of the
canyon.

We expected a rocky, steep switchback road. Instead, we found a gently
curving, scenic and graded gravel road. Colorful wildflowers accented
the stark beauty of surrounding cliffs, which rose steadily higher as we
descended.

Diamond Creek, a small stream, runs alongside the road. As the canyon
narrowed, the stream and road became one. We grew increasingly
concerned that the road might be washed out, but the water was never
more than an inch deep. If you travel after heavy rain, though, we'd
recommend first checkintg at the lodge for road conditions.

About a mile later, we came to a wide, sandy beach -- a departure point
for river rafters -- and a rustic campground with picnic tables and
outhouses. This pleasant spot, known as the Lower Granite Gorge of the
Grand Canyon, boasts colorful cliffs composed of the oldest rock in the
canyon.

We enjoyed a picnic lunch here before heading back. Our side trip took
just a little under 2 hours, but it's one we'll never forget!"

------
Peach Springs is on State highway 66 (old Route 66) about 54 miles
northeast of Kingman on I-40. Permits are required for everyone 12 and
older. They're available at the Hualapai Lodge (900 route 66);
sightseeing costs $6 per person and camping is $10 per night, which
includes the sightseeing fee. Room rates at the lodge vary by season
and start at $60 per person per night. For more information call
1-800-255-9550.

Old April 19th, 2005, 06:48 AM
RVer Don

wrote in message

Any suggestions for decrepid old foggies
(other than watching while all the fit young hikers march off? :-) TIA

If you really want to go down there....many, many folks, all ages, ride
mules down and back. I don't know the cost, but am sure you can find it
online somewhere. Probly you can even make reservations online.

My wife and did several years ago. Fantastic trip. The only problem you
probably need to make reservations a year or more in advance. Might get
lucky and get a cancellation. Worth a try.

Don in Tracy, Calif.

Old April 19th, 2005, 06:50 AM
RVer Don

If you are "out of shape" like I am, mules may be ruled out. There is
a weight limit, I think of 200-220 lbs to ride the mules. Good thing
the reservations are so far out. If I ever planned to do it I would
need the time to lose the weight!

It was 200 pounds in 1958 when my wife and I made the trip. Also a max age
of 70 although that may no longer be true.

Don in Tracy, Calif.