Florida Trip suggestions

Old July 26th, 2006, 01:04 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

Default Florida Trip suggestions

"David" wrote:
The Victoria and Albert looks interesting.
Are there any Michelin Star restaurants in Orlando and
if so do you know if there is a web site I can look at.

Zagat's (www.zagat.com) reviews restaurants in many U.S. cities,
but getting ratings requires a subscription. A good alternative is the
Mobil Travel Guide, which has a searchable database at...
http://mobiltravelguide.howstuffwork...ts-channel.htm
Here are Mobil's 3+4 star restaurants in the vicinity of WDW. You
can find more by searching for Orlando restaurants.

Victoria and Albert's (4*)
Victoria and Albert's is tailor-made for those craving sophistication
and a touch of the old days, when women wore fancy dresses to
dinner and men were always smartly buttoned up in fashionable suits.
The theme here is elegant excess.

Arthur's 27 (3*)
This upscale restaurant boasts one of the finest views in Orlando, a
great choice for a grown-up dinner after a day at the theme parks...

Artist Point (3*)
The chef presents authentic Pacific Northwest cuisine at this delightful
restaurant in Disney's Wilderness Lodge and Resort. Salmon and wild
game are the specialities. Both the seven-story fireplace in the lobby
and the man-made geyser that erupts several times an hour are quite...

Citricos (3*)
The menu is as innovative and energetic as the dining room. Unique
desserts, like chocolate ravioli with licorice ice cream, are great
surprise...

Jiko - The Cooking Place (3*)

Yachtsman Steak House (3*)
The feel of casual New England pervades this American steakhouse
with a blue and khaki nautical décor. Greeted by a display of aged
meats, you'll choose from beef steaks, chops, poultry, and...

=R=

Old July 26th, 2006, 01:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
CherylD

I'm not sure who it was in this thread that said the drivers in Central
Florida are more genteel. I suppose I would agree that they're more
genteel than South Florida, but using the word "genteel" doesn't really
apply. Just drive at least the speed limit and you'll be fine. If you
want to be a "tourist" and drive 10 miles under the speed limit in the
left lane....well, let's just say that most residents here have had it
up to their eyeballs with that.

Having said that, I would recommend not staying on I-Drive. That's
probably one of the busiest areas of Central Florida and the traffic is
terrible. Better to stay in Kissimmee or on Disney property if you can
afford it. Or, travel a bit further north to Orlando and stay
there...it's really not that long of a drive, and the traffic's not too
bad if you avoid rush hours in the morning and afternoon.

As for beaches, if you're going to Cape Canaveral (the tour is really
cool if you're into the whole space thing, like me) you can stay out
there. Or, take a drive to the west coast, St. Pete Beach is lovely,
albeit practically waveless, but you may like that.

My husband and I spend our anniversaries at Emeril's Tchoup Chop near
Universal Studios. It's pricey, but it's only once a year, and the
food is really good.

Also, from what I understand the Orlando Museum of Art is getting ready
to do a photography show, which should still be going on during your
visit. Although, I don't see it listed on their web site. We were
told by a staff member that it would be opening in about a month.

There's definitely plenty to do here, but it's a matter of what you all
enjoy. Theme parks abound, for sure! )

Enjoy your visit - and don't forget to wear your seat belt. Click it
or ticket!

David wrote:
Hi

I have just booked a fly/drive holiday to Orlando, 30th Sept to 7th October.

We have booked the first night in a basic hotel, the Comfort Inn on I -
Drive

I want to go to Cape Canaveral, looks like I won't be able to see a launch
so will just do the tour.

It is our 30th wedding anniversary on Monday the 2nd October so would like
to go for a very good meal or do something out of the ordinary, both would
be perfect.

We both enjoy theme parks but if we miss them it would not be a disaster
although I have always wanted to go to EPCOT.

A couple of Days on the beach would be nice.

Apart from that we are open to suggestions

An idea of what is a must would be greatly appreciated

I certainly don't want to drive huge distances, being from the UK the
distance from Orlando to Key West is almost the size of the whole UK - so
you get the idea that I'm a wimp when it comes to driving american
distances.

BTW are the drivers in Florida as laid back as those in Seattle and Alaska

Regards

David