Lions and Great Whites in January

Old May 9th, 2006, 10:02 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Lions and Great Whites in January

Yes, I know its the wrong time of year to see either, but its the only
time I can get to South Africa. This is our first ever trip and were
flying into Jo'burgh.
I would love to go on a 2/3 day safari to somewhere accessible (short
flight) from Jo'burgh. I know nothing of South Africa but my wife and I
would love to see some of the big 5, hopefully including lions and stay
in comfortable surroundings.
I would also like to try one of those cages where you get close to
great white sharks. Is there anywhere you'd recommend for that in
January in S.A.?
The rest of the holiday will be lounging around wine country before
flying home from Capetown.We love good wine!
Its our 30th wedding anniversary so I want to try and get it right and
would really appreciate advice about where to stay and what to do in a
short 17 day holiday.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Old May 10th, 2006, 01:30 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

The best place for shark cage diving is at Gansbaai,
no more than a 2 hour drive east of Cape Town.
And among the good choices for a place to stay,
I recommend De Kelders B&B - owned and operated
by my good friends, Alet & Gerhard Kotze.
http://www.dekelders.co.za/
It is a 4-star Guest House.
January is an important high season for South
African residents, so make all of your plans early.

We are Americans who bought a home in that
area several years ago and spend as much time
as we can there.

The same advice applies to the safari plans.
And it is actually a very good time for wildlife
viewing - heart of the summer, mostly dry
everywhere, easier to see all the wildlife.

For such a short trip, you could consider driving
to the Pilanesberg National Park. Pretty area,
all of the Big 5, etc. Get a South Africa map and
you will see how close it is to Johannesburg.
http://www.tourismnorthwest.co.za/pilanesberg/

I would suggest Stellenbosch as the headquarters
for your wine time. Several good hotels and
guest houses there, and good restaurants as well.
Some of the wine estates have accommodations;
that might be the best choice.

Old May 13th, 2006, 07:26 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

schreef in bericht
oups.com...
Yes, I know its the wrong time of year to see either, but its the only
time I can get to South Africa. This is our first ever trip and were
flying into Jo'burgh.
I would love to go on a 2/3 day safari to somewhere accessible (short
flight) from Jo'burgh. I know nothing of South Africa but my wife and I
would love to see some of the big 5, hopefully including lions and stay
in comfortable surroundings.

Lions can be seen through all the year. 3 out of (average) 5 game-drives our
guests see lions. Nomally 2 or 3 of the Big-5. If guests really want to see
the lions, we can take them to a breeding project where lions are kept in.
Especially when they start roaring this is a great experience.

I would recommend the Kruger park, you can stay 1 night in the park, and 1
or 2 nights in a private nature reserve.

Bushregards,

Corné.

www.amukela.com