Volunteer in Ghana (West Africa)

Old May 17th, 2006, 06:27 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Volunteer in Ghana (West Africa)

Hello!

I volunteered with the Gimat Volunteer Network in Ghana for the month
of January, 2006. It was a very interesting and rewarding experience
that I highly recommend. The Gimat organization provides great
opportunities for people from all over the world to work with local
staff and teachers on a variety of humanitarian projects. These
projects usually focus on assisting youth in their life and educational
development with further emphasis on sports and cultural activities.

Volunteers can choose from a number of different placements, including:
- Working with the boys of a rural soccer (football) academy
- Assisting at a growing cultural academy (including dancing, singing,
drumming, acting, writing, etc.)
- Teaching at local schools, typically English, math, technology, or
reading

Christianity is the dominant religion in Ghana. As such, Gimat also
offers programs for volunteers to participate in Christian-related
programs around the country. Although the organization offers these
projects, the other programs above are non-denominational and Gimat
encourages people from all cultures and religions to participate. All
programs are flexible in their duration, but usually run from one month
to a year.

Because the programs are organized and arranged by a group of local
volunteers in Ghana, the costs for international volunteers are very
reasonable, especially compared to other western volunteer agencies
that maintain high overhead costs. For example, the current cost of a
two-month placement is $750 US, which covers all necessary transport,
meals, and accommodation once in Ghana. This fee also includes a
donation component by which the programs are assisted in purchasing
food and other basic necessities for the children.

My month in Ghana was very worthwhile and provided a great first
experience in West Africa. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting all of the
Ghanaian volunteer staff, teachers, and other international volunteers
that I worked with. The programs are generally well-organized, but do
keep in mind that it's important to keep a more laid-back,
go-with-the-flow attitude while there.

Please see the Gimat website for details and more information:
http://www.volunteergimat.org

I found out about Gimat through an excellent group called Kids
Worldwide, which assists volunteers in finding youth-oriented
placements all over the world. They can be found he
http://www.kidsworldwide.org

Thanks for your interest, and good luck with whatever you choose to
pursue.
-Greg Benson