Returning to Canada after bicycling the Savannah Way

Old September 5th, 2006, 07:37 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ken Pisichko

Default Returning to Canada after bicycling the Savannah Way

After 9 weeks in Australia (including bicycling the bitumen - dirt road
between Cairns and Darwin via Nathan River) I had a really negative
experience.

When I landed at LAX I took my bicycle boxes and checked them in at the
TSA security section. I did not see them again until I arrived in
Canada.

One of the boxes was opened and i knew something was wrong when the
contents that were in closed panniers, satchels and handbags were in the
box in helter-skelter manner.

Tools were in open bags. The Vegemite jars were scattered amongst books.
The extra spokes were partially out of their "protective bag" and most
discouraging of all, one factory-sealed package of Tim-Tams was opened
and another was twisted like a when "twisting a goose's neck to kill
it".

I understand the TSA concern about security and WMD, but to scatter my
things without even putting them back where they were originally?? And
-- what about crushing the Tim-Tams??

I can just see it in The Age or the SMH: "The USA considers Tim-Tams
WMDs or a terrorist threat".

All I can say is that you should expect a "legal" invasion of your
private goods when entering USA territory and that even cookies are fair
game to be crushed by the security Nazi folks hired by TSA to ensure a
"safe" America.

Consider bypassing the USA on a flight between Australia and another
country. The invasion of your goods is unwarranted, no matter what
"Mericans think of Tim-Tams.

A tiny inconvenience you say? Well how about legalized burglary?? Same
thing!! I could have at least been allowed to view their "Inspection".
Then I could have asked them to place my goods back in their original
containers.

I still cannot figure out why they crushed the Tim-Tams. At least the
other 3 bags of Tim-Tams are still in original condition. If you want a
"pictcha" of the twisted bag send a PM.

Ken in Canada.

Old September 13th, 2006, 03:32 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
www.poms.co.uk

"Ken Pisichko" wrote in message
[...]

:O

--

www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php
Australia, New Zealand, USA, German, UK, South Africa, Thailand, Brazil Sim