North Eastern Usa and Canada

Old February 17th, 2008, 04:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
max11

Default North Eastern Usa and Canada

Hi at all! I need again your help
I booked the flight on the end of April, my trip will be 40 days and 2
days more for flights.
I'll travel alone, stay in hostels and travel by bus (or train ),
because it's expensive to rent being alone. ( from Buffalo/Toronto-
Chicago and Chicago-Washington by plane)

1- I think the number of days is ok, isn't it? maybe the number for
Boston is too much?
New York 7 days
Philadelphia 2
Boston 4
Montreal 5
Quebec 3
Ottawa 2 ?
Toronto 3
Niagara Falls
-flight- (from Buffalo)
Chicago 4
-flight-
Washington 3-4 ?

2-eventually, is it worth to see any city between Chicago and
Washington, as Detroit,Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh or others?
3-Because now I need to book the flight to and from Chicago I have as
big doubt:
from Buffalo is cheaper than from Toronto: 111$ last flight at7.45 pm

Is it better to arrive to Buffalo the day before, sleep there (I hoppe
there i san hostel) also to see the falls in the night
or to leave from Toronto early in the morning at 6.45am, arrivino to
Niagara Falls 8.15am?
I read on old posts that it takes more than hour from Niagara to
Buffalo airport ( bus#40 till Buffalo trasportation center then #240,
even if I can't understand the time schedule su
http://www.nfta.com/metro/schedules_pdfs/204.pdf
http://www.nfta.com/metro/schedules_pdfs/40.pdf because I don't
understand which ones are the bus stop!)

4-New York: are the main things in manhattan to see? Is good to stay
there?
because I can't realize the distances, even if I stay tehere is it
cheaper to buy a weekly metrocard for 21$ o buy single tickets whwn I
need it? bus and train station are in manhattan ?

5-Which is a very good trip from big cities that you would recommend
me (that I could do with a 1-2 day tour) that REALLY WORTH IT do?
For example I read about Cape Cod or New England? or about Tadoussac.
can I see the whales about 20th May?
6- Is Ottawa worth it, being on the way?

Thanks
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

is it worth ... [visiting] Detroit, Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh

Those cities aren't big tourist destinations. Certainly each one has
some nice attractions (museums, etc), but unless there's something
specific you're really anxious to see there, I'd suggest spending your
time elsewhere.
Old February 17th, 2008, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Smiles

What do you want to see and do

I take it you are landing in New York can not say about stay in NY or
Boston without knowing what you are looking forward

from Boston I know its a year of celebration in Quebec city 3 days might
be too long, Montreal is defiantly to long less to see than Quebec City
Ottawa is good for 5 days Toronto is ok you can add a day

Niagara Falls good to arrive in morning leave same day BUT best time to
see falls is at sundown

why go out of the way to Chicago?

see Philadelphia when you go to Washington which is a 5 day visit

without knowing what you see or do these are my opinion

Thank You
Smiles

Old February 17th, 2008, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

"max11" wrote in message
Hi at all! I need again your help
I booked the flight on the end of April, my trip will be 40 days and 2
days more for flights.
I'll travel alone, stay in hostels and travel by bus (or train ),
because it's expensive to rent being alone. ( from Buffalo/Toronto-
Chicago and Chicago-Washington by plane)

1- I think the number of days is ok, isn't it? maybe the number for
Boston is too much?
New York 7 days
Philadelphia 2
Boston 4
Montreal 5
Quebec 3
Ottawa 2 ?
Toronto 3
Niagara Falls
-flight- (from Buffalo)
Chicago 4
-flight-
Washington 3-4 ?

The route is a bit odd, Philadelphia is south of NYC

2-eventually, is it worth to see any city between Chicago and
Washington, as Detroit,Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh or others?

If you were passing through then the Henry Ford museum in Detrot is
worth a look but I wouldnt make a special trip

3-Because now I need to book the flight to and from Chicago I have as
big doubt:
from Buffalo is cheaper than from Toronto: 111$ last flight at7.45 pm

Is it better to arrive to Buffalo the day before, sleep there (I hoppe
there i san hostel) also to see the falls in the night
or to leave from Toronto early in the morning at 6.45am, arrivino to
Niagara Falls 8.15am?
I read on old posts that it takes more than hour from Niagara to
Buffalo airport ( bus#40 till Buffalo trasportation center then #240,
even if I can't understand the time schedule su

Stay in Niagara. There is no compelling reason to visit Bufalo

http://www.nfta.com/metro/schedules_pdfs/204.pdf
http://www.nfta.com/metro/schedules_pdfs/40.pdf because I don't
understand which ones are the bus stop!)

4-New York: are the main things in manhattan to see? Is good to stay
there?

Damn right

because I can't realize the distances, even if I stay tehere is it
cheaper to buy a weekly metrocard for 21$ o buy single tickets whwn I
need it? bus and train station are in manhattan ?

There are bus and train stations in all 5 boroughs. You can alsobuy
unlimited use day tickets for $7 per day

5-Which is a very good trip from big cities that you would recommend
me (that I could do with a 1-2 day tour) that REALLY WORTH IT do?
For example I read about Cape Cod or New England? or about Tadoussac.

Without a car Cape Cod would be problem. I'd suggest a trip
to Salem Mass which is easily reached from Boston by train
http://www.salemweb.com/guide/tosee.php

can I see the whales about 20th May?
6- Is Ottawa worth it, being on the way?

Kingston Ontario or Niagara on the lake would be better bets IMHO

Keith

Old February 17th, 2008, 10:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 08:59:54 -0800 (PST), max11
wrote:

[...]

Just a tip before the locals answer. You may find it cheaper
to stay at good hotels in some places.

Check out prices on www.hotwire.com and www.expedia.com

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Valentino

wrote:
[...]

This is Gino:You all are invited to see my blog and maybe if you have
some time see also www.solidamerica.com
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:04 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

"Max":
New York 7 days
Philadelphia 2
Boston 4
Montreal 5

Keith Willshaw:
The route is a bit odd, Philadelphia is south of NYC

It makes sense. Presumably Max can fly into NYC more conveniently or
more cheaply than into Boston, so he has to do some doubling-back to
hit all four of the above cities and then continue west from Montreal.

I would do all of this part by train, and for the trip to Montreal,
I would returning to NYC for an overnight stop and going to Montreal
from there. The railway follows the Hudson River valley pretty much
all the way to Albany, and this is scenery you can't easily see by
road. For the second half of the trip there is more scenery with the
Adirondacks and Lake Champlain.

There are two and a half important notes. First, the train does not
have assigned seating, so get there at least an hour before departure
and try to get a window seat on the left in order to be on the river
side. After Albany it may be better to switch to the other side if
there is a seat available, but probably there won't be.

One and a halfth, last summer when I boarded a train from New York to
Canada, I was told at the station (1) to get in "that lineup", and
(2) that before going to the platform I had to report to a "Canadian
check-in" desk where they would look at my passport. However, the
Canadian check-in desk was not actually at the front of the line --
it was a portable stand, with a tiny sign, next to the gate that led
to the platform. When they announced that the train was boarding,
there was mass confusion as many people from the lineup did not know
where they were supposed to go, with the result that the order of
people in the line was not followed at all. Perhaps this was an
unusual day, but I doubt it.

The second note is that this train is not only slow due to making many
stops, it also takes an excruciatingly long time at the border. When
it gets there, it stops until the border guards have gone through the
train and inspected *everybody* -- which can take more than an hour,
and you're expected to stay in your seat, too. So bring a good book
or some other amusement for the time when you're stopped.

If the train sounds like too much hassle, another way to see the
Hudson River from the train is to take a ride from New York to some
point along the Hudson by commuter (suburban) train, and back. These
are operated by Metro-North and they run as far north as Poughkeepsie
(pronounced "p-KIP-see"), which is about halfway to Albany. Just pick
a town on the route and ride there and back.

4-New York: are the main things in manhattan to see? Is good to stay
there?

Damn right

Yes.

because I can't realize the distances, even if I stay tehere is it
cheaper to buy a weekly metrocard for 21$ o buy single tickets whwn I
need it? bus and train station are in manhattan ?

There are bus and train stations in all 5 boroughs.

The main long-distance stations are in Manhattan, though, specifically
midtown Manhattan. All Amtrak trains use Pennsylvania ("Penn") Station;
major bus companies use the Port Authority bus terminal. If you want
to use the commuter train to Trenton, which came up in an earlier thread,
that also leaves from Penn Station; but the Metro-North trains to
Poughkeepsie leave from Grand Central Terminal (a building which you
should visit even if you're not boarding a train there).

6- Is Ottawa worth it, being on the way?

Kingston Ontario or Niagara on the lake would be better bets IMHO

All three places have their admirers; it depends on what you like.
--
Mark Brader | "I always pass on good advice. It's the only thing
Toronto | to do with it. It is never any use to oneself."

Old February 18th, 2008, 03:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mike from Ottawa[_2_]

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:39:59 -0000, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

"max11" wrote in message
Hi at all! I need again your help
I booked the flight on the end of April, my trip will be 40 days and 2
days more for flights.
I'll travel alone, stay in hostels and travel by bus (or train ),
because it's expensive to rent being alone. ( from Buffalo/Toronto-
Chicago and Chicago-Washington by plane)

1- I think the number of days is ok, isn't it? maybe the number for
Boston is too much?
New York 7 days
Philadelphia 2
Boston 4
Montreal 5
Quebec 3
Ottawa 2 ?
Toronto 3
Niagara Falls
-flight- (from Buffalo)
Chicago 4
-flight-
Washington 3-4 ?

snip
6- Is Ottawa worth it, being on the way?

Kingston Ontario or Niagara on the lake would be better bets IMHO

I might disagree with that, but I may also be somewhat biased.

It all depends on what Max wants to see. Ottawa has the usual museums
for national capital plus some more unique sites. There are free
tours of Parliament Hill, tour buses that roam around the city, the
Byward Market (boutiques, pubs, restaurants -- the heart of the city),
the semi-wilderness of the Gatineau Park, etc.

Kingston is a pretty city and ditto for Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Old February 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
max11

On 17 Feb, 22:39, "Keith Willshaw" wrote:

Boston is too much?
New York 7 days
Philadelphia 2
Boston 4
Montreal 5
Quebec 3
Ottawa 2 ?
Toronto 3
Niagara Falls
-flight- (from Buffalo)
Chicago 4
-flight-
Washington 3-4 ?

The route is a bit odd, Philadelphia is south of NYC

because of flying from Chicago to Was DC is cheaaper than fly to
Philadelphia, than
Philadelphia seems easier by bus from Ny than from DC. Even if then I
have to do Ph-Ny-Boston

[...]

What do you think about seeing the falls in the night; is it worth it
to stay a day more? If not, I could arrive at Niagara at abou7
9.30-10.00 am and leave again in the late afternoon to Chicago.
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
max11

On 17 Feb, 19:22, Smiles wrote:
What do you want to see and do

I take it you are landing in New York can not say about stay in NY or
Boston without knowing what you are looking forward

from Boston I know its a year of celebration in Quebec city 3 days might
be too long, Montreal is defiantly to long less to see than Quebec City
Ottawa is good for 5 days Toronto is ok you can add a day

Niagara Falls good to arrive in morning leave same day BUT best time to
see falls is at sundown

why go out of the way to Chicago?

because I have a lot of day! anyway I'd spend 210$ to fly there and
then to Washington. Isn't worth it?

see Philadelphia when you go to Washington which is a 5 day visit

without knowing what you see or do these are my opinion

I'm 28yo, I like to visit cities walking on the streets (even if I
know spaces are bigger than European cities,so it's harder) to know
places, to breath the place air: I tkink this kind of approach takes
at least one week for each city. I like to see monuments, big
architectures, big squares and the city atmospheare I like sometimes
to visit museums, but not many in few days and they are often so
bigger that they take at least one day, and I become bored because I
need time to enjoy them.