Buying a RV in US or Canada

Old February 24th, 2008, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

Default Buying a RV in US or Canada

"Urs Mueller" wrote:
Uhr, schrieb Smiles :
To get insurance and a license plates you must have a residence
in a state or province. [T]hese are the laws of the land.

Thank you very much... which State?
So I can begin painting a map of good or bad... ;-)

There are = 50 = states, each with their own registration laws.
Check out http://www.dmv.org/ which has a summary for each
state. I don't think that residency is the problem, rather, getting
an insurace company to give you an insurance policy is the issue.

Old February 24th, 2008, 06:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Urs Mueller

Am 24.02.2008, 18:55 Uhr, schrieb Rog' :

There are = 50 = states, each with their own registration laws.
Check out http://www.dmv.org/ which has a summary for each
state. I don't think that residency is the problem, rather, getting
an insurace company to give you an insurance policy is the issue.

I agree or at least the price would be quite big, thank you for the link..

--
Urs from Berne, Switzerland in the heart of Europe
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

I'm not sure how authoritative this is, but the site USATourist.com
says:

"You cannot obtain a valid registration tag until you prove that you
have adequate liability insurance coverage. It may be difficult to
obtain insurance coverage unless you have an address within the USA
and a valid state driver's license. Even with a local address, you may
be required to pay high insurance prices because the insurer will not
be able to check your past driving history records."

http://www.usatourist.com/english/tips/carbuying.html

Old February 24th, 2008, 09:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Urs Mueller

Am 24.02.2008, 22:03 Uhr, schrieb :

http://www.usatourist.com/english/tips/carbuying.html

James, Thank you for that information and the link to this page.
Maybe, I will find other knowledge on that pages too.

--
Urs from Berne, Switzerland in the heart of Europe
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Király[_1_]

You might also consider buying an RV in Switzerland, registering and
insuring it there, and then transporting it to North America for your
holiday. Many do this; I have seen big RVs with German and Swiss
licence plates driving in the USA and Canada several times.

The cost of transporting it across the Atlantic might very well be less
than trying to buy one in North America, all things considered.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Feb 24, 8:30*pm, (Király) wrote:
You might also consider buying an RV in Switzerland, registering and
insuring it there, and then transporting it to North America for your
holiday. *Many do this; I have seen big RVs with German and Swiss
licence plates driving in the USA and Canada several times.

Really? I have never seen cars or RV's with European plates in the
US.

Old February 25th, 2008, 10:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dennis P. Harris

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:33:42 -0500 in rec.travel.usa-canada,
Smiles wrote:

To get insurance and a license plates you must have a residence in a
state or province.

these are the laws of the land

citation, please. this is certainly NOT true in all states. my
state requires a physical address, but you do not have to prove
that you are a resident to register a vehicle. you are confusing
the requirements for vehicle registration and obtaining a
driver's license.

Old February 25th, 2008, 10:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dennis P. Harris

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:32:13 -0800 (PST) in
rec.travel.usa-canada, PeterL wrote:

Really? I have never seen cars or RV's with European plates in the
US.

i've seen quite a few, mostly german and swiss. in some cases,
they bought US vehicles but registered them in europe.

Old February 25th, 2008, 01:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

I have never seen cars or RV's with European plates in the US.

I haven't either, but it can be done. According to the link below,
tourists can generally bring a car with foreign plates into the U.S.
for one year.

http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm...#driversplates