TR: ACT/DFW/DCA & RTN

Old March 18th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Olivers

Default TR: ACT/DFW/DCA & RTN

It's Saturday, Mar 13, a bit after Noon, and I've found a parking plae in
the 2ns Row (Free), barely 100 ft from the terminal entrance....2nd in line
to check in - no automated checkin out here in the boonies.

Since one of the TSA crew on duty used to work for me, I know my bag will
be selected for search...either she's curiuous or knows it's a shortcut
(Sure enough, when I get the bag at RReagan, theirs a badly attached blue
TSA seal and a card inside.).

AA(Eagle)#3268, Saab 340B, loads out full to the brim, and the wind, from
the South, means that taking off to the South and landing in the same
direction will add 10 minutes to our flight time...land on 18R, turn off
short and unload at the tin barn on time, bus on hand at door, ride to
Terminal A, stroll to TRAAM (Soon, but not soon enough, to be replaced by
aerial skyway transit system) and ride around to the Middle of C for
AA#516, "Super" (Ha!)80 service to DCA. Boarding by groups, every seat
taken, much announcements of what to carry aboard and how to use overheads
(apparently makes no impression on the standard 10% of travelers relocating
their residences by air). Actually worked well though with overheads
ending up full but with space for all wheelies).

2:40 and a Bistro Bag - living proof that AA does buy war suplus bread from
the DoD, and simply scrapes the World War I stamp off before using it for
sammitches - later we've cross the notorious "No Pee" zone - "Save your
drink cans, gents, simply cover your lap with a blanket, while you ladies
are simply out of luck!" - we're down and taxiing at DCA, this time to an
inboard, short walk, gate. I'm in 18B, however, and a couple in the row
ahead, relocating, have made no plans for debarking their "Carryons", and
the unload is slow. After the usual wait for checked bags, never quick at
DCA, it's up to the crossover and a comfortable (thirsty, it's after
cocktail hour) Metro ride to Metro Center, and the block stroll and roll to
the back door of the JWMarriott, expensive, but one of better travelers'
hostels.

My hard-earned Marriott "status" puts me in a "best room", one of the L
shaped corners overlooking Pennsyslania and 14th street, noisy, but as good
a view as the city offers, the weekend special for sat and Sun nights, then
escalating rapidly for Monday and Tuesday eves.

Late Wednesday morning, it's back to the Metro and DCA, seemingly uncrowded
and unbusy, a snack at the Sushi Bar, and then boarding #2883, another
stretch 80 back to DFW. Again, every seat is full, but the big adjustment
is going to be leaving at 37F and hearing that DFW's going to be over 80F.
All the same drill for group boarding and overheads, but it worked. I'm in
11D, closer to the front anda little less claustrophobic, the gravest fault
of the Super 80. Pushback late, but even with headwinds (and bumps across
some weather zones) we're on the ground at DFW a bit early, evidence that
what AA has done is simply add time to every flight to improve "on time"
performance (at the cost of eliminating some quick connections).

Back to the Tin Barn, always a sort of insult to small market commuters,
second class facilities for second class travelers. #3263 to ACT is
"Weight Listed", meaning that 4-5 folks have drawn the short straw and get
to have dinner at one of DFW's culinary marvels, all $8 bucks worth, but do
get a voucher, $150 IIRC. Early pushback, shortest flight time - heading
South to take off and to land - and I'm actually putting my bag in the car
at the scheduled arrival time.

No, it's no better than the Greyhound, but for $304, it was cheaper than
driving to DFW and parking...

TMO
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:57 PM
jrk011

Olivers wrote in message ...

2:40 and a Bistro Bag - living proof that AA does buy war suplus bread from
the DoD, and simply scrapes the World War I stamp off before using it for
sammitches -

In enjoyed your Trip Report. Keep on!

TMO

jrk011