Travel?

Old June 18th, 2010, 07:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
BP killed my turtle

Default Travel?

On Jun 17, 1:12*pm, Tom P wrote:
Martin wrote:
On 17/06/10 09:45, Martin wrote:
On 17/06/10 01:20, John Karl wrote:
On 6/16/10 11:36 AM, Martin wrote:
On 16/06/10 18:34, george wrote:
On Jun 16, 3:33 pm, "Erick T.
wrote:
george:

Reminds me of my German wife always telling me not to eat any berries
in the forest in Germany as the foxes pee on them and this carries
some type of "near fatal (?)" disease!!!
That must be something local, here.
In the German village where I live, people keep constantly reminding me
to only pick wild berries that grow at least one meter high, otherwise
[the fox story]. I have no clue whether or not there's some truth about
that claim, though.

--
Erick
I just asked my wife about this. *She claims it is the fox tape worm.

Of course. There used to be signs with a bat symbol warning about "Wild
tollwut" *in Bavarian forests. Maybe there still are.

This sort seems to be more common

http://www.absperr-schilder-technik....PSESSID=49167f....

Although it's supposed to be endemic, I have never personally heard of
any humans getting rabies, which is just as well as it is an extremely
unpleasant way to die. Another hazard in many parts of the country comes
from two tick borne diseases - FSME (encephalitis, TBE) and borreliosis
(Lyme disease). *Both diseases result in long term debilitating illness..
* Yet another hazard exists if you walk barefoot across grass meadows
where wild geese have left their droppings. These may contain the lava
of fluke worms.

Apart from that, enjoy your stay in Germany!

T.

Blood tests are available to assist in the diagnosis of Lyme disease.
The standard blood test detects antibodies made by the dog in response
to infection with B. burgdorferi. Many dogs show positive test
results, but are not actually infected with the disease. These animals
have been exposed to the organism, but fought off the infection on
their own. These animals will have antibodies to B. burgdorferi but
not have the disease. Thus a single positive result means only that
the dog was exposed. As mentioned earlier, only around 10% of the
exposed dogs actually contract the infection.