Barcelona - great trip

Old June 17th, 2009, 04:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

Default Barcelona - great trip

Just had a few days in Marbella followed by three in Barcelona (first visit
there).

Terrific hotel, great restaurants, fantastic buzz in the city, really
enjoyed ourselves. Visit to Camp Nou a bit disappointing though - the pitch
was covered over for a U2 concert and there was a huge stage in the middle
of it!

Ian

Old June 18th, 2009, 07:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge16

Thank you martin, that was an interesting remark.

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:31:25 +0100, "Ian F."
wrote:

Just had a few days in Marbella followed by three in Barcelona (first
visit
there).

Terrific hotel, great restaurants, fantastic buzz in the city, really
enjoyed ourselves. Visit to Camp Nou a bit disappointing though - the
pitch
was covered over for a U2 concert and there was a huge stage in the middle
of it!

and there were no pork scratchings left at Barcelona Airport.
--

Martin

Old June 18th, 2009, 09:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_2_]

On 17 June, 16:31, "Ian F." wrote:
Just had a few days in Marbella followed by three in Barcelona (first visit
there).

Terrific hotel, great restaurants, fantastic buzz in the city, really
enjoyed ourselves. Visit to Camp Nou a bit disappointing though - the pitch
was covered over for a U2 concert and there was a huge stage in the middle
of it!

Ian

--

So many seem to favour Barcelona over other Spanish cities.
From afar, I can't understand that, so have never been.

Surreyman

Old June 19th, 2009, 06:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

Ian F.:
Just had a few days in Marbella followed by three in Barcelona (first visit
there).

Terrific hotel, great restaurants, fantastic buzz in the city, really
enjoyed ourselves.

Sounds like you had a great time there, Ian.
In case you decide to go there again, may I recommend the second half
of October? By that time, the hot summer season is over, and the city
appears to enjoy Fall Party Time. The same buzz as you encountered this
time, but with a melancholical athmosphere brought in. It's the season
when the large city trees start turning a bit yellow, some sudden heavy
rain showers (just ten minutes or so) make for a great 'climate' and at
weekends, large groups of people dance the Sardana on the squares,
played by live (instrumental only) bands.

Visit to Camp Nou a bit disappointing though - the pitch
was covered over for a U2 concert and there was a huge stage in the middle
of it!

I've never seen Nou Camp as a highlight. I would recommend exploring
the Barceloneta side of town instead if you want to get away from the
city center a bit.

--
Erick
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Surreyman" wrote in message

Convince me.

Not sure I know how. I'm not a huge football fan and Gaudi is not my
favourite, but the whole atmosphere of the city (with the possible exception
of the graffiti) was what we found so likeable.

It was helped by a lovely hotel where we were treated like God, great
restaurants and plenty of wine. We also had an excellent bus tour on the
first day which, even though we are relatively sophisticated travellers, we
always find is useful to discover places to re-visit later in the trip.

Ian

Old June 19th, 2009, 09:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Erick T. Barkhuis" -o-m wrote in message

Sounds like you had a great time there, Ian.

Sure did. Combined with a few days on the beach in Marbella, it was a happy,
if expensive, break.

In case you decide to go there again, may I recommend the second half
of October? By that time, the hot summer season is over, and the city
appears to enjoy Fall Party Time. The same buzz as you encountered this
time, but with a melancholical athmosphere brought in. It's the season
when the large city trees start turning a bit yellow, some sudden heavy
rain showers (just ten minutes or so) make for a great 'climate' and at
weekends, large groups of people dance the Sardana on the squares,
played by live (instrumental only) bands.

That sounds terrific. We may even forget about going to the US in October
and opt for that.

I've never seen Nou Camp as a highlight.

I was told off by a local for calling it that - apparently it's 'Camp Nou'!
;-)

I would recommend exploring
the Barceloneta side of town instead if you want to get away from the
city center a bit.

That would have been good - we saw it on a swift bus tour, but didn't have
time to revisit. If it taught me one thing, it's that three days is not
enough in Barna!

Ian

Old June 21st, 2009, 11:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
SteveQ

Thinking of visiting there myself next year. What was the name of the
hotel that you stayed at?

Steve

Old June 21st, 2009, 10:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"SteveQ" wrote in message

Thinking of visiting there myself next year. What was the name of the
hotel that you stayed at?

http://www.montecarlobcn.com/

Ian