Polish zloty

Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

Default Polish zloty

Hello All!

I've never been to Poland and its's hard to find a picture of a market
with prices in zloty. What abbreviation do the Poles actually use for
prices in markets, super- and otherwise? I know the international
abbreviation on currency exchanges is PLN.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge121

zl, what else ?

http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgur... tbs%3Disch:1

groupe de discussion : ...

Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

On May 2, 7:22*pm, "James Silverton"
wrote:
Hello All!

I've never been to Poland and its's hard to find a picture of a market
with prices in zloty. What abbreviation do the Poles actually use for
prices in markets, super- and otherwise? I know the international
abbreviation on currency exchanges is PLN.

can't help you with that except to say that I've often noticed prices
quoted in Euro being written with the € being written _after_ the
amount. Giving you something like 10.79 € (or if the € symbol doesn't
appear at your end it would look like how it would seem if someone
wrote 10.79 £ .
Whether they do something similar in Poland I couldn't say.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

"James Silverton" wrote in message
Hello All!

I've never been to Poland and its's hard to find a picture of a market
with prices in zloty. What abbreviation do the Poles actually use for
prices in markets, super- and otherwise? I know the international
abbreviation on currency exchanges is PLN.

They use PLN

http://www.ratesfx.com/rates/rate-converter.html

http://coinmill.com/PLN_calculator.html

What part of Poland are you planning to visit? We have been there twice and
found the Poles very kind and friendly...of course since my parents were
both born there, I can speak Polish.

--Jean

Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

Jean wrote on Sun, 2 May 2010 14:16:14 -0500:

"James Silverton" wrote in
message ...
Hello All!

I've never been to Poland and its's hard to find a picture of
a market with prices in zloty. What abbreviation do the Poles
actually use for prices in markets, super- and otherwise? I
know the international abbreviation on currency exchanges is PLN.

They use PLN

http://www.ratesfx.com/rates/rate-converter.html

http://coinmill.com/PLN_calculator.html

What part of Poland are you planning to visit? We have been
there twice and found the Poles very kind and friendly...of
course since my parents were both born there, I can speak
Polish.

Would a farmer's market stall in, say, Krackow actually write PLN if
they were giving the price for a kilo of apples?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

[...]

If I remember correctly, it would be "zl" if you mean the price tag on an
article.

--Jean

Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Martin[_11_]

Magda wrote:
On Sun, 2 May 2010 13:22:22 -0400, in rec.travel.europe, "James Silverton"
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... Hello All!
... I've never been to Poland and its's hard to find a picture of a market
... with prices in zloty. What abbreviation do the Poles actually use for
... prices in markets, super- and otherwise? I know the international
... abbreviation on currency exchanges is PLN.

They don't have the Euro yet?

It's bad enough that Greece Spain and Portugal have the Euro.

See
http://www.ecb.int/stats/exchange/eu.../index.en.html
Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

Jean wrote on Sun, 2 May 2010 14:53:52 -0500:

"James Silverton" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Exactly! That's what I wanted to know!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

"James Silverton" wrote in message
Hello All!

I've never been to Poland and its's hard to find a picture of a market
with prices in zloty. What abbreviation do the Poles actually use for
prices in markets, super- and otherwise? I know the international
abbreviation on currency exchanges is PLN.

Generally speaking, the currency abbreviation (for the zloty) isn't used at
all in Poland.
Prices are usually written in zloty (large numeral) followed by groszy
(smaller numerals).
So on a market, for example, if you see oranges priced at 6 (big numeral)
followed by 50 (smaller numerals), the price is 6 and a half zlotys for one
kilo.

Gerry