Driving From Rome to Amalfi

Old May 19th, 2010, 03:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom[_1_]

Default Driving From Rome to Amalfi

My wife and I will be driving from Rome to Amalfi in July. Curious as
to how easy it is to make this drive and also the time involved. We
will be renting a car at the Rome airport. Thanks for any input!
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bart.c

"Tom" wrote in message
My wife and I will be driving from Rome to Amalfi in July. Curious as
to how easy it is to make this drive and also the time involved. We
will be renting a car at the Rome airport. Thanks for any input!

According to one of the online route-planners, about a 3-hour drive.

And from memory, mostly motorway, with some windy bits towards the end.

--
Bartc

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Cain

"Tom" wrote in message
My wife and I will be driving from Rome to Amalfi in July. Curious as
to how easy it is to make this drive and also the time involved. We
will be renting a car at the Rome airport. Thanks for any input!

Over three hours if through Salerno.....closer to 4 if through Positano.

Challenging drive on the Positano route.

I recommend not listening to the radio and listening for larger, oncoming
vehicles sounding there horns as they come around the hair pins.

Great area. s

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

Steve Cain wrote:
"Tom" wrote in message
My wife and I will be driving from Rome to Amalfi in July. Curious as
to how easy it is to make this drive and also the time involved. We
will be renting a car at the Rome airport. Thanks for any input!

Over three hours if through Salerno.....closer to 4 if through Positano.

Challenging drive on the Positano route.

Driving the Sorrento side of the bay and then to Positano takes
eternities, even if it's very scenic, the traffic is gruesome.

I recommend not listening to the radio and listening for larger, oncoming
vehicles sounding there horns as they come around the hair pins.

Great area. s

And the challenge is to find somewhere to park the car when you get to
Amalfi.
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

On Thu, 20 May 2010 00:45:28 +0200, Tom P wrote:

Steve Cain wrote:
"Tom" wrote in message
My wife and I will be driving from Rome to Amalfi in July. Curious as
to how easy it is to make this drive and also the time involved. We
will be renting a car at the Rome airport. Thanks for any input!

Over three hours if through Salerno.....closer to 4 if through Positano.

Challenging drive on the Positano route.

Driving the Sorrento side of the bay and then to Positano takes
eternities, even if it's very scenic, the traffic is gruesome.

And another problem is that it's not very scenic for the driver, who
needs to devote his attention to the road--its twists and its traffic.

And the challenge is to find somewhere to park the car when you
get to Amalfi.

Yes. I highly recommend taking public transportation there instead of
renting a car and driving: train from Rome to Naples, circumvesuviana
train from Naples to Sorrento, then bus from Sorrento to Amalfi. The
bus lets you see the scenery.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old May 20th, 2010, 12:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Tom wrote:
My wife and I will be driving from Rome to Amalfi in July. Curious as
to how easy it is to make this drive and also the time involved. We
will be renting a car at the Rome airport. Thanks for any input!

Driving is doable, and the road along the Amalfi coast is a great drive if
you have a small, nimble car and a lot of nerve.

Take the A1 Autostrada from Rome South to the A3, and exit the A3 at
Castellammare di Stabia and get on SP145 and follow via Sorrentina along the
coast. Stick to the coast for the scenic route to Amalfi.

It might be easier to take a train to Naples and rent a car there, or you
can take a train or ferry to Sorrento from Naples and hire a car there. The
road to Amalfi is both spectacular and scary if you're new to driving in
Italy. It's full of steep climbs, sheer dropoffs, hairpin turns and tour
buses (giant tour buses). The driver will be far to busy to enjoy the
scenery. Alternatives to driving are to hire a car and driver, or just take
a local bus, which you can exit and reenter at any regular stop.

From Rome to Sorrento is about a 3hr drive. Sorrento to Amalfi will add
another hour at least, and possibly several hours if the road is full of
tourists. The A1 is a toll road. Here is a map of the Autostrada system.
http://goitaly.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi...strada-map.htm

Have a great trip.

Keith

Old May 20th, 2010, 01:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom[_1_]

On May 19, 6:27*pm, "K" wrote:
Tom wrote:
[...]

From Rome to Sorrento is about a 3hr drive. *Sorrento to Amalfi will add
another hour at least, and possibly several hours if the road is full of
tourists. *The A1 is a toll road. *Here is a map of the Autostrada system.http://goitaly.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi...taly&cdn=trave...

Have a great trip.

Keith

Thanks for the information. We are staying at a nice hotel just on
the edge of Amalfi, so parking will be available.
Old May 20th, 2010, 12:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"K" wrote in message
Tom wrote:
My wife and I will be driving from Rome to Amalfi in July. Curious as
to how easy it is to make this drive and also the time involved. We
will be renting a car at the Rome airport. Thanks for any input!

Driving is doable, and the road along the Amalfi coast is a great drive if
you have a small, nimble car and a lot of nerve.

Why do you need a lot of nerve?

You just have to drive at a sensible speed. If there really were any risk
of you falling over the cliff, the road would be closed by now

tim

Old May 20th, 2010, 12:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
martin

On 20/05/10 13:13, tim.... wrote:
"K" wrote in message
Tom wrote:
My wife and I will be driving from Rome to Amalfi in July. Curious as
to how easy it is to make this drive and also the time involved. We
will be renting a car at the Rome airport. Thanks for any input!

Driving via the coast road rather than via autostrada is a more
interesting drive, unless you are in a hurry.

Driving is doable, and the road along the Amalfi coast is a great drive if
you have a small, nimble car and a lot of nerve.

Why do you need a lot of nerve?

You just have to drive at a sensible speed.

Everybody has to drive at a sensible speed. IME they don't.

If there really were any risk
of you falling over the cliff, the road would be closed by now

Yeah, right.

tim

Old May 20th, 2010, 02:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike[_42_]

On Wed, 19 May 2010 07:59:32 -0700 (PDT), Tom
wrote:

My wife and I will be driving from Rome to Amalfi in July. Curious as
to how easy it is to make this drive and also the time involved. We
will be renting a car at the Rome airport.

no great problems except Italian drivers, who tailgate a lot.
Americans often find the Amalfi coast road challenging, I think
because its moderately narrow and winding.
--
Mike
Flying a couple London/New York just once equals