Smoking ban has dramatically slashed number of heart attacks

Old June 9th, 2010, 12:51 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.sport.rugby.union
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Default Smoking ban has dramatically slashed number of heart attacks

On 09/06/2010 12:31, Simon S-B wrote:

"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" wrote in message
On 09/06/2010 11:27, Mike wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 02:50:39 -0700 (PDT), My two cents
wrote:

Quality of life is important - not just quantity.

indeed, like having clean air in pubs.

In the old days I used to go to a pub about 3 or 4 times a year.
Now there is no smoking it's about every couple of weeks.

You're very much in a minority. Pubs are closing in huge numbers because
nobody is going to them since the ban.

That's more to do with drink driving laws, esp in the countryside.

--
Dirk

Old June 9th, 2010, 12:58 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.sport.rugby.union
martin

On 09/06/10 13:11, Tom P wrote:
snip

Apparently the risk of suffering a heart attack when watching the World
Cup on TV goes up by 400%

No risk in this house then.

Old June 9th, 2010, 01:01 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.sport.rugby.union
Maria[_9_]

wrote:

Quality of life is important - not just quantity.

indeed, like having clean air in pubs.

In the old days I used to go to a pub about 3 or 4 times a year.
Now there is no smoking it's about every couple of weeks.

You're very much in a minority. Pubs are closing in huge numbers because
nobody is going to them since the ban.

That's more to do with drink driving laws, esp in the countryside.

Our town centre pubs are dead - several have closed. The only one that's
ever packed is the wetherspoons.
There is a fantastic pub next door to the wetherspoons which has had no
landlord for a year now. Now they have reduced the price - you can pay
5k and take over the running of this pub - no overheads, nothing - just
run it and take whatever is left after buying in your booze as profit.
They can't even shift it for that (they refuse to adopt a cut-price policy).
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:03 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.sport.rugby.union
martin

wrote:

Quality of life is important - not just quantity.

indeed, like having clean air in pubs.

In the old days I used to go to a pub about 3 or 4 times a year.
Now there is no smoking it's about every couple of weeks.

You're very much in a minority. Pubs are closing in huge numbers because
nobody is going to them since the ban.

In fact many are converting to restaurants. They were already closing in
large numbers long before the ban. The price of a pint and tightening up
of drink driving enforcement has a lot more to do with it.
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:06 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.sport.rugby.union
Simon S-B

wrote:

Quality of life is important - not just quantity.

indeed, like having clean air in pubs.

In the old days I used to go to a pub about 3 or 4 times a year.
Now there is no smoking it's about every couple of weeks.

You're very much in a minority. Pubs are closing in huge numbers because
nobody is going to them since the ban.

That's more to do with drink driving laws, esp in the countryside.

What a load of twaddle. The drink driving laws have not changed, yet the
pubs are shutting. How on earth can you back up that statement?

--
Dirk

Old June 9th, 2010, 01:12 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.sport.rugby.union
My two cents

On 9 June, 12:39, "Simon S-B" wrote:
"My two cents" wrote in ...

On 9 June, 07:59, "Simon S-B" wrote:
Just because we can live longer, should we? Been to a nursing home
lately?
Think they have a wonderful quality of life? Reckon the economy and the
planet in general really needs people living to be 110?

But cigarettes don't merely reduce your life expectancy. They reduce
the number of years you can expect to live in good health.

And being fat and drinking doesn't? No doubt you'll argue 'but me drinking
only hurts me, not anyone else'. Do I really need to be getting stats on the
causes of crime, and showing where alcohol comes in the list? Have you ever
tried sitting on a long haul flight next to a fat *******? Why should you
only get half a seat because they have a pie addiction? I'm not against the
smoking ban, but those that want to look down their noses at smokers can
**** right off unless they don't drink and are an acceptable weight.

I'm sorry if you interpreted my post as me looking down my nose at
you. As I said in my other post to this thread, it's a personal
choice. If you want to smoke, smoke but don't pretend that the
reduction of your life expectancy is only the years that aren't worth
living anyway.
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:15 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.sport.rugby.union
Simon S-B

wrote:

Quality of life is important - not just quantity.

indeed, like having clean air in pubs.

In the old days I used to go to a pub about 3 or 4 times a year.
Now there is no smoking it's about every couple of weeks.

You're very much in a minority. Pubs are closing in huge numbers because
nobody is going to them since the ban.

In fact many are converting to restaurants. They were already closing in
large numbers long before the ban. The price of a pint and tightening up
of drink driving enforcement has a lot more to do with it.

You only had to go out the day before the smoking ban and the day after it
to see the difference. My local used to have 4 bars open on a weekend, 2
smoking (upstairs) and 2 non-smoking(downstairs). As soon as the ban came in
it only opened 2. Now it opens 1, and it's questionable how long that will
last. In the summer, a raft of new customers appear and sit outside where
they can smoke. These are the best months for the landlords. When it gets
cold again and they have to rely on the non-smokers, they struggle.

Old June 9th, 2010, 01:15 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.sport.rugby.union
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

wrote:

Quality of life is important - not just quantity.

indeed, like having clean air in pubs.

In the old days I used to go to a pub about 3 or 4 times a year.
Now there is no smoking it's about every couple of weeks.

You're very much in a minority. Pubs are closing in huge numbers because
nobody is going to them since the ban.

That's more to do with drink driving laws, esp in the countryside.

Our town centre pubs are dead - several have closed. The only one that's
ever packed is the wetherspoons.

I wonder why that is - could it be because it serves good cheap food and
is family friendly?

There is a fantastic pub next door to the wetherspoons which has had no
landlord for a year now. Now they have reduced the price - you can pay
5k and take over the running of this pub - no overheads, nothing - just
run it and take whatever is left after buying in your booze as profit.
They can't even shift it for that (they refuse to adopt a cut-price
policy).

Maybe it should be run as something other than a standup drinking and
smoking pub, with fights an optional extra.

In my experience, the pubs that are going out of business are the
squalid dives like my housing estate local. Went in there once - the
place stank and was filled with drunk teenagers, old alkies and drug
dealers. I bet the smoking ban killed it!

--
Dirk

Old June 9th, 2010, 01:20 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.sport.rugby.union
Mark (newsgroups)

wrote:

Quality of life is important - not just quantity.

indeed, like having clean air in pubs.

In the old days I used to go to a pub about 3 or 4 times a year.
Now there is no smoking it's about every couple of weeks.

You're very much in a minority. Pubs are closing in huge numbers because
nobody is going to them since the ban.

That's more to do with drink driving laws, esp in the countryside.

What a load of twaddle. The drink driving laws have not changed, yet the
pubs are shutting. How on earth can you back up that statement?

But on that note, have you got anything to back up your statement that
pubs closing is directly caused by the smoking ban rather than a
combination of factors (eg. recession, stricter drink drive enforcing,
etc)?
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:36 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.sport.rugby.union
Simon S-B

"My two cents" wrote in message
On 9 June, 12:39, "Simon S-B" wrote:
"My two cents" wrote in

On 9 June, 07:59, "Simon S-B" wrote:
[...]

It's what smokers have to deal with everywhere they go.

you. As I said in my other post to this thread, it's a personal
choice. If you want to smoke, smoke but don't pretend that the
reduction of your life expectancy is only the years that aren't worth
living anyway.

Whose pretending? I have spent enough years caring for elderly relatives to
know that I have no intention of being that sort of burden on my kids. I'm
hoping for a massive heart attack at about 75, which is what my smoking
grandfather had the good grace to do. His wife who never smoked is still
going 10 years later, it's just a shame that she doesn't know that as she
has dementia.

I'm afraid the one thing that all these stats overlook is genetics, and they
have a far greater say in if you're going to have a heart attack than
anything else. My family is predisposed to going mental. I'd be happy if my
body packs up before that happens. As it is, I'm 39, don't drink much, eat
well, am not overweight and exercise pretty regularly. I am in better health
than most of my non-smoking friends and I don't see why that needs to
change. The only time I've been ill in the last 20 years was catching
Glandular Fever on the Lions tour.

You can't say 'I'm healthier than you because I don't smoke' or even 'I can
expect to live in good health longer than you because I don't smoke' because
you have no idea what genetic ****e your relatives have passed down to you,
or how much your diet, alcohol intake, whether you live in the country or a
city, and the amount of exercise you do is affecting things.

Do you know how many joggers have heart attacks? Maybe we should ban keeping
fit.