Out-of-season rains in Amboseli

Old February 5th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

Default Out-of-season rains in Amboseli

I hear that Amboseli (the nature reserve in Kenya next to Mt.
Kilimanjaro) is beautiful and green due to totally out-of-season
rains, perhaps associated with a storm system off Madagaskar.

This makes it more attractive to travellers to Kenya over the
coming weeks, because it is not so dusty and not so barren.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old February 5th, 2004, 06:16 PM
BAC

Default Dollars and Sense....Tanzania

Ok, Its time to figure out how much money to take. I'm not planning on using
ATM's. Be taking a load of Travels Checks....figure in $100 dominations with
maybe a few $50's. And a bit of cash. I keep reading about having to pay in
USD's.

I plan to stay in budget to moderate....depending on were I'm at. I'll be
carring Visa for thoses places that will take it (air travel, lodging if i
wish to treat myself) (and take the hit on the surcharge)....

But it sounds like I need $50 for my visa, USD for safari's, boat trips, and
some moderate and upper hotels. And cash to get out of the country.

I figure I'll be in Tanzania and will expect them to take the
shilling....but you might know better. I'll be there for four weeks and
would like to hear how much cash I'll need to get about and have some fun.
Also a rough dollar per day would help. Its starting to sound like Cuba were
I had to carry all cash.

Give me you dollar and sense ideas
Thanks,
BAC

Old February 6th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Eupe-mbwa

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 06:22:08 +0100, Hans-Georg Michna
wrote:

I hear that Amboseli (the nature reserve in Kenya next to Mt.
Kilimanjaro) is beautiful and green due to totally out-of-season
rains, perhaps associated with a storm system off Madagaskar.

This makes it more attractive to travellers to Kenya over the
coming weeks, because it is not so dusty and not so barren.

Whereas Zanzibar has been a washout all week, just got back today and
Stone Town was still very wet, roads flooded etc. We lost the windows
from the hotel room the night before last (4th) in a truly amazing
storm! Exciting to watch and listen to but we were really glad that
there was a break to allow us to fly out to Dar by cessna, something I
wasn't looking forward to if it continued.
On a positive note, the farms on Zanzibar will fare better this year
than last so good news for the locals who suffered from below average
rainfall and crop yeilds last year.
--

.--~~,__