Site for Info on Outback Australia

Old April 5th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Andrew Dwyer

Default Site for Info on Outback Australia

Go to http://www.diamantina-tour.com.au for heaps of info on tours,
environment, maps etc

Old April 5th, 2004, 03:36 AM
Tony Bailey

"Andrew Dwyer" wrote in message

Andrew,

Where on the site is your Vic. TA Registration number?

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Old April 6th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Andrew Dwyer

Thanks for your message Tony. We are not a Travel Agent, we are a camping
tour operator
Cheers
Andrew
. ..

Old April 6th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Tony Bailey

"Andrew Dwyer" wrote in message
Thanks for your message Tony. We are not a Travel Agent, we are a camping
tour operator
Cheers
Andrew

I beg to differ, you are definitely offering travel products -

As your website has a Victorian address I refer you to two sites -

The Travel Compensation fund

http://www.tcf.org.au/tcf/default_industry.asp

Q. Who needs a Travel Agents Licence?

Generally, any business selling travel products totalling more than
$30,000 per annum. However, the exact requirements vary from state to state,
so advice should be sought from your local Licensing Authority

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/bla/b...ges/bla_travel

General information
The Victorian Travel Agents Act 1986 regulates people and
corporations who provide or offer to provide travel services for profit.

A travel agent is any individual or company that:
a.. Sells, resells, or offers to sell travel tickets;
b.. Makes or offers to make travel arrangements; or,
c.. Advertises any of those things.

Many businesses are regarded as travel agents, including retail and
corporate agents, tour wholesalers, consolidators, inbound tour operators,
general sales agents, some bus or coach operators and some airlines.

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Old April 6th, 2004, 02:58 AM
AlmostBob

Tony Tony Tony, Dont you get tired of trying the same tired old cut n paste
posts, from your URL,
http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/bla/b...ges/bla_travel
particularly the last line of this quoted text under the heading Exemptions

Quoted text
"General Information | Penalties | Exemptions |

General information
The Victorian Travel Agents Act 1986 regulates people and corporations who
provide or offer to provide travel services for profit.

A travel agent is any individual or company that:
Sells, resells, or offers to sell travel tickets;
Makes or offers to make travel arrangements; or,
Advertises any of those things.

Many businesses are regarded as travel agents, including retail and corporate
agents, tour wholesalers, consolidators, inbound tour operators, general sales
agents, some bus or coach operators and some airlines.

To trade as a travel agent in Victoria you must hold a travel agent's licence,
unless you are exempt under the Act. If you are in partnership with an
individual or corporation acting as a travel agent they must also hold a
licence. A licence is ongoing until it is surrendered, suspended or cancelled.

Penalties
You could be liable to a penalty of up to $50,000 or 12 months imprisonment if
you act as a travel agent without being licensed.

If you act as a travel agent without a licence you cannot recover any fees,
commission or rewards for services you provided in the course of your business
in an action in court.

Exemptions
Some people who supply travel services do not need to be licensed. Consult
your legal adviser if you are uncertain. A licence may not be required if a
person or company:
Owns transport or accommodation for which users must buy a ticket;
Operates camp tours but also owns the camping equipment and transport;"
End quote

they are now and always were tour operators, very good ones.
you are barkin up the wrong tree, last time you said they didnt have an ABN,
despite it being displayed on the web site, make up your mind what you want to
bite em for,
Your signature to all your posts does not include your ABN, membership of any
professional association or other qualification to make a judgement, and isnt
that what your complaint is about.

Mine is a personal address only, and this is a singular message, I dont have
any qualification, abn, TAreg, or anything else, I just don't like assholes, a
very large group in which you are aspiring to rise to prominence

--
Ever wonder why Evian water is $3 for a half litre
Try spelling evian backwards

Old April 7th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Tony Bailey

"AlmostBob" wrote in message
news:thocc.16162 Mine is a personal address only, and this is a singular
message, I dont have
any qualification, abn, TAreg, or anything else, I just don't like

assholes, a
very large group in which you are aspiring to rise to prominence

Bob,

I'm not posting quasi advertisements here, and I'm not posting anonymously.

I do some work for a registered and licensed Travel Agency (but no longer my
own.) This work is mainly for my own band of out bound travellers.

We do NOT do business with unlicensed providores? Why? Because if we took
money off a client and paid it to an unlicensed provider and that provider
went out of business the client would NOT generally be entitled to a refund
from the Travel Compensation Fund and we would be in, to say the least, a
very embarrassing situation.

I like to warn people when they are getting into a difficult situation. If
you have a problem with this, killfile me.

I also post a fair bit of relevant travel news here, which I hope that some
people like, if you don't want to read it killfile me.

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Old April 8th, 2004, 01:01 AM
AlmostBob

I am posting anonymously, since I dont want my personal email filled with
garbage, If you were to check the properties of any of my posts my nntp host
is displayed and my actual address, I am in Canada, not posting from some
friend of diamantina. I state again that you selectively quote from web sites
without including the entire text that disavowed your position, that you have
attacked the same poster for not displaying his ABN which is displayed, that
they are not registered as travel agents, when under the regulations they are
NOT travel agents so dont have to register as such.
The only dealings I have had with diamantina is their staff acting to help out
looking for some dumb [expletive deleted] who got themselves lost and half
dead, along with about three hundred RAInf and RAAF members.out in the middle
of nowhere.

And where is your qualification to make your assessment, lots of people work
for travel angents, they vaccuum carpets?, make coffee?, drive a bus?

and "providores", is spelled providers

pontificating I know, but you have a huges history of being an

Andrew,

Where on the site is your Vic. TA Registration number?

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Interesting,

Where on the site is their NSW TA Registration?

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

[...]

1) No travel agents registration details as required by the various
registration requirements - very risky.

2) Absolutely NO company information.

3) An apparently incomplete web-site.

Try elsewhere.

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury World Travel

Sure looks like an ABN at the bottom of the contact info page.

Yeah, what a funny place to put it - but, very importantly, there is no
Victorian Travel Agents registration

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

I just dont like YOU very much
--
Ever wonder why Evian water is $3 for a half litre
Try spelling evian backwards

Computer chips are very small, Computers don't eat much.
_ _

u...

Old April 8th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Tony Bailey at
wrote on 4/7/04 6:05 PM:
\
I also post a fair bit of relevant travel news here, which I hope that some
people like, if you don't want to read it killfile me.

Tony's more than helpful both proactively and reactively. Keep it up!

Old April 8th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Andrew Dwyer

Thanks for weighing in Bob. I am astonished at the vexacious tone of the
accusations. Diamantina has been operating since 1988. We have won many
awards, including a German Holiday Oscar for Best Adventure Tour Worldwide
in 1994. We are foundation members of the Victorian Tourism Operators
Association, and are licensed by National Parks in the States that we
operate. We have invested heavily in plant and equipment for the purpose of
vehicle based camping tours to remote regions. We are associated with some
of the world's largest tour operators, including FTI, AOT, Travelbag UK to
name a few. We conform to worlds best practise, and are proud to deliver the
standard of product that we do. Our internet site provides a huge amount of
information on the outback, which we include as a free service. We believe
that by raising the profile of the outback it will increase peoples
understanding of it, and therefore assist in its conservation and our
knowledge of its complex eco systems. We have over the years achieved mentor
status, and I have personally been guest speaker at seminars both here and
in Europe and the UK. What really gets me hopping is the inference contained
in Tony's suggestion that we are not licensed. We have every accreditation
and license required, and if Tony cared to research both the legislative
requirements and our operations before making public accusations, he wouldnt
make such an ass of himself. Thanks again Bob, good on you!

Old April 8th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Tony Bailey

"Andrew Dwyer" wrote in message
and license required, and if Tony cared to research both the legislative
requirements and our operations before making public accusations, he

wouldnt
make such an ass of himself. Thanks again Bob, good on you!

Exactly what financial protection do you offer to people prior to travel
who pay upfront?

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books