Cell phone questions

Old July 23rd, 2006, 07:51 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

Default Cell phone questions

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
A Mate wrote:
[deleted]

Read Frank's last post re coverage carefully. Vodafone is a
city/town carrier really with major highway ribbons included.
Small towns often have no Vodafone coverage (except emergency 112
services which will always

get
you through to emergency on any network available!!) - and that
can be frustrating.

Are you sure about the emergency 112 services getting through?
AFAIR, in for example Meekatharra (WA) my phone showed no
signal/network, so how should it be able to connect if I dial 112?

Frank

http://tinyurl.com/7vzh9

This webpage says that the Telstra tower will pick up your 112 call in
Meekatharra even if you don't have a Telstra sim.

Gerrit

Thanks, Gerrit! I don't understand *how* that works, but I take the
page's word for it *that* it works.

OTOH, it's a perfect excuse for another visit to Oz to check things
out! :-) However I doubt that the 112 personel appreciate people testing
things, so I'd better find another excuse.

Frank "Now it's 'hot' (35 degrees C) here and 'cold' in Oz!" :-) Slootweg
Old July 24th, 2006, 04:31 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Gerrit 't Hart

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message

Frank "Now it's 'hot' (35 degrees C) here and 'cold' in Oz!" :-) Slootweg

29.7C right now in Darwin
28.1C in Broome
On the other hand here in Perth we are only today receiving the first real
winter rains!
Rainfall so far this year177.8 mm on 40 days
Average 1st January to end of this month555.0 mm on 62 days

Gerrit

Old July 25th, 2006, 04:09 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:20:12 +1000, "Ross"
wrote:

The three main players are

TELSTRA www.telstra.com

OPTUS www.optus.com.au

VODAPHONE www.vodaphone.com.au

VIRGIN MOBILE www.virginmobile.com.au

Browse their web sites and it will give you an idea. In particular check
out the coverage maps for each provider.

Ross

There are 10 types of people - those who count in binary and those who
don't.

11 types....... there are also the one's that don't know the
difference in saying "Three main players" and then listing FOUR !!

Tony
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:51 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ross[_1_]

11 is Three and Four would be 100

Hmmm! Which one of the 10 people are you?

Ross

Old July 30th, 2006, 01:55 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate

No! I meant that 112 will connect to any available network, irrestective of
who your carrier is - no network - there's nothing to connect to!!

Old August 5th, 2006, 06:54 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
marika[_2_]

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:29:31 -0400, wrote:

Hello,

I'm coming to Oz from the States and want to get cell phone coverage
for my trip.

one can never tell, upon which factor will
history turn. of course trying to figure such things
will lead only to insanity. it is all too new- ku -
lar. and i ain't 'a talkin' famlee, you know.
here's to talking like dem.

I have a GSM phone (T-Mobile) so I'm pretty sure I can
just take my phone and get an Oz Sim Card. Any advice on how to get
one, where to get it, rates and prices. Any other Oz Cell phone info
you think I should now like how coveratge tends to be (I'll be in
Darwin, Ayres Rock, Melbourne, and most of the East Coast). What are
rates like in the country?

Thanks,
Aaron

Old November 30th, 2006, 05:50 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
www.byronbay.co.uk

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I'm coming to Oz from the States and want to get cell phone coverage
for my trip. I have a GSM phone (T-Mobile) so I'm pretty sure I can
just take my phone and get an Oz Sim Card. Any advice on how to get
one, where to get it, rates and prices. Any other Oz Cell phone info
you think I should now like how coveratge tends to be (I'll be in
Darwin, Ayres Rock, Melbourne, and most of the East Coast). What are
rates like in the country?

Thanks,
Aaron

Also if you want free INTL calls you should get a skype wifi phone i used
one come in very handy
http://www.experimentalist.co.uk/mobiles/index.html

--

www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php
Australia, New Zealand, USA, German, UK, South Africa, Thailand, Brazil Sim