Advance Booking Of Shows on Oasis of the Seas with webtv?

Old April 14th, 2010, 05:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Advance Booking Of Shows on Oasis of the Seas with webtv?

Is it possible to use webtv to book shows for oasis of the seas? I
heard it was diffictult to do it on a regular computer which I don't
have. Bee

Old April 14th, 2010, 05:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Jeff Gersten conferred with the ghost of Faye Wray and said On
4/14/2010 8:19 AM:
wrote:

Is it possible to use webtv to book shows for
oasis of the seas? I heard it was diffictult to do
it on a regular computer which I don't have.
Bee

Probably not. I know the Princess site does not work properly on webtv,
and, IIRC, I had to do our registration on HAL last year on our son's
computer. Ever since Microshaft bought webtv, improvements, including
the promise to keep up to internet standards have ceased. If it was not
for the various tools made to squeeze the internet onto a cellphone
screen, we would be totally obsolete except for newsgroups and e-mail.

I find that my alternatives are the library's computers, our son's
computer, or over the phone with our TA. They know we have a webtv with
certain limitations, and have done things in the past like book
excursions for us.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I don't mean to put you down for
having WebTV. To echo what someone else has said, the prices of PCs and
Macs are going down. Why not get one of those? You don't have to go
with a high rate Internet Service Provider. There are many out there
that are inexpensive.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

View My Web Pages:
http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951
My Shutterfly Page http://photosbybrianmk.shutterfly.com/

Old April 14th, 2010, 08:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

On 4/14/2010 10:44 AM, Tom K wrote:
On 4/14/10 8:19 AM, Jeff Gersten wrote:
wrote:

Is it possible to use webtv to book shows for
oasis of the seas? I heard it was diffictult to do
it on a regular computer which I don't have.
Bee

Probably not. I know the Princess site does not work properly on webtv,
and, IIRC, I had to do our registration on HAL last year on our son's
computer. Ever since Microshaft bought webtv, improvements, including
the promise to keep up to internet standards have ceased. If it was not
for the various tools made to squeeze the internet onto a cellphone
screen, we would be totally obsolete except for newsgroups and e-mail.

I find that my alternatives are the library's computers, our son's
computer, or over the phone with our TA. They know we have a webtv with
certain limitations, and have done things in the past like book
excursions for us.

Netbooks are selling very inexpensively these days. You can get one for
like $249. Time to move to new technology... considering the price.

You bet. I just bought an Acer Aspire One netbook for $274. Used it
while I was on the road last week and it works like a charm.

The only thing I don't like is Windows 7. My home machines all have XP
on them. The new system isn't that different but it would have been one
less thing to fart around with.

I'm betting that the notebooks are eventually settle in at the $199
price point, but my old T22 ThinkPad gave up the ghost and would cost
more to repair than it was worth.

George Leppla

Countryside Travel
http://www.CruiseMaster.com
Blog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster
Old April 14th, 2010, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

wrote:

[...]

My thinkpad was a T42, but it had run out of memory with all my iTunes
songs, etc... so I got a Mac... just for something different (and also
to be less worried about going to webpages with viruses). I still use
the thinkpad for school stuff (exams, homework, etc.), and use the Mac
for the internet.

--Tom
Old April 14th, 2010, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

Hi, Bee, Jeff and all,

I love my netbook for travel, but now that y'all are talking about it,
I agree, a netbook is a great idea for supplementing WebTV. Because
you could use it not only for planning your trip, but also on your
trip, it's a two-fer! You might want to check it out.

For one thing, these babies are reasonably priced. Netbooks running
Windows 7 are widely available for under $300 and running XP for under
$200.

(XP isn't a bad thing per se--it continues to be the most widely used
OS in the world for good reason, and Microsoft has committed to
support XP to some date in 2014. If you buy it to supplement your
WebTV, then the limited life expectancy might be an issue; but if you
buy it to serve as a mobile platform, it's unlikely you're counting on
that machine to carry you more than 4 years considering the rapid pace
of development of mobile computing technologies and the relatively low
price point. OS support may not be your biggest issue, though. Because
developers are building to Win 7, if you're concentrating all or most
of your computer use on a netbook, you probably do want to go 7
instead of XP. On the other hand, if you're like me and treat your
netbook as just a portable email, web surfing and basic apps--word
processing, spreadsheets, etc.--sort of platform, picking up an XP
version now for a song might be a perfectly fine way to go, as long as
the potential 4-year life expectancy isn't a problem for you.)

For travelers, a netbook is just awesome for photo storage, staying in
touch by email and surfing for travel info, reading the newspaper,
downloading your daily crossword, etc. It's so light and compact, and
battery life is so strong, you can throw it into your purse or daypack
and go!

I bought an ASUS Eee running Win 7 about five months ago and
absolutely love it--no downsides so far.

Fun tech cruise & travel gear!

Diana Ball
Austin, TX
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake George Leppla :

wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't replace my notebook with a netbook, but I'd add it to my
network. Which is currently larger than Cuba's (which is to say I
have 5 computers each having more than 4GB of memory and 320 GB of
disk, as well as 1TB of NAS).

George Leppla

Countryside Travel
http://www.CruiseMaster.com