Bath or Canterbury?

Old December 16th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Reid

Default Bath or Canterbury?

Following up to Westside

I'm looking for day-trip suggestions from London.

My fiancee is leaning towards Canterbury (she studied The Canterbury Tales
extensively in college, and is interested in seeing the cathedral). I would
love a visit to Canterbury, but the pictures I've seen of Bath are very
impressive as well. Which would you choose if you had only one free day?

no contest, Bath.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old December 17th, 2003, 01:17 AM
DCHeretic

Last March I spent five days in London and a half day in Bath. The visit to
Bath was the highlight of my trip and I wish that I had had more time to
explore. The town is gorgeous and filled with history.

I have not been to Canterbury, so I have no comment to offer regarding that
town.
Old December 17th, 2003, 02:53 PM
me

"Westside" wrote in message ...
I'm looking for day-trip suggestions from London.

My fiancee is leaning towards Canterbury (she studied The Canterbury Tales
extensively in college, and is interested in seeing the cathedral). I would
love a visit to Canterbury, but the pictures I've seen of Bath are very
impressive as well. Which would you choose if you had only one free day?

Well, given the choice of taking my fiancee where she wanted to go,
or convincing her she didn't want to go there.... I'd pick the former.
Kinda advice for your future too, but I digress.

Can't speak to Canterbury, but I'd say a day trip to Bath might
be a bad idea. I'm biased because it was because of a day trip to
Bath that I began to sour in general on day trips to whole cities.
It's one thing to day trip to a site, museum, whatever. But taking
in a whole city is often a mistake IMHO. This is partly because
a city should be seen at several times of the day and day trips
often yank you out just before the evening, which is when many can shine.
If she wants to see the cathedral, that would seem to lend itself
better to a day trip.