a challenge to the cruiselines: smoking/no-smoking

Old May 26th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Eileen Garland

Default a challenge to the cruiselines: smoking/no-smoking

Okay, I'm throwing down the gauntlet.

After reading so many posts here on the topic, I really wish some
cruiseline would try an experiment: Offer two ships (make 'em small
ships to minimize possible losses from this experiment), one where
smoking is permitted anywhere, another where smoking is permitted
nowhere. To make it a really valid experiment, make the cruises as
similar to one another is every other way possible. And see what happens.

It seems to me there are costs of all kinds associated with either of
these; I'm assuming the cruiselines' primary motivation for ANYTHING is
how much money they can make (anyone want to convince me otherwise?).
Don't force any employees to work on a smoking ship and make those that
are willing sign a release so they can't sue for health reasons later on.

I guess there will be no takers for this challenge, but I'd sure love to
see what would happen if they tried it.

Eileen

Old May 26th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Howie

Sounds like a great experiment; and it would certainly be the best way
to put everyone's opinions/speculations to the test.

Howie

Old May 26th, 2004, 07:01 PM
HDawson228

It's been done (as far as nonsmoking) with Carnival's Fantasy class vessels
whereby the Paradise was totally declared nonsmoking and enforced. Fact: It
was the lowest income ship of their very large fleet. As for fleetwide,
already the lines have banned smoking in dining areas, theaters, lots of other
entertainment venues and some of the lounges and banned outdoor smoking on one
entire side of the ship. In some areas allowing smoking the lines have
increased ventilation to minimize discomfort to those that don't like being
exposed. Of course there are those that will never be happy allowing anyone to
smoke and the cruiselines cannot make everyone completely happy. By the way,
to build those two imaginary ships expect to pay well over $200 million EACH
but that may
not be alot of money to you.
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:02 PM
HDawson228

Further; cruiselines are a business responsible to their shareholders. A
business, not a social experiment.
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Wed, 26 May 2004 13:48:24 -0400, Eileen Garland
wrote:

Offer two ships (make 'em small
ships to minimize possible losses from this experiment), one where
smoking is permitted anywhere, another where smoking is permitted
nowhere. To make it a really valid experiment, make the cruises as
similar to one another is every other way possible. And see what happens.

Hi Eileen,

This happened when the Paradise came out and Carnival had identical
Fantasy Class ships doing identical itineraries.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:18 PM
RTCReferee

Howie wrote:

Sounds like a great experiment; and it would certainly be the best way
to put everyone's opinions/speculations to the test.

With all due respect, I don't think Eileen was throwing the gauntlet in your
direction, your Howiness. ;-)

There's always a "plant" in the audience. LOL.

Old May 26th, 2004, 07:21 PM
RTCReferee

Hey, Eileen, notice how I only asked for non-smoking ships on MY coast. ;-)

Old May 26th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Charles

In article , Howie
wrote:

What's your real problem? You simply do not have to go on such a ship.

What about the workers?

--
Charles