From Los Angeles to San Francisco

Old July 9th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Patty Winter

Default From Los Angeles to San Francisco

In article ,
Sonia wrote:
Hi, I know it may sounds silly, but how do you visit missions?

This page will give you good starter information on all of them:

http://www.ca-missions.org/contact.html

It includes links to more information about each mission. I
believe the specific mission that prompted your question was
Santa Barbara; here's their website:

http://www.sbmission.org/home.html

Patty

Old July 10th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Cathy Kearns

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message

It's only about a six hour drive. One place definitely worth stopping is
Hearst Castle. There's a nice little town called Cambria about 10 miles
south of San Simeon. There are some nice bed-and-breakfasts, restaurants
and antique shops there.

It's only about a six hour drive if one were to take highway 5, a dull
speedway through the central valley, where you see nothing but
farmland and fields. If you take 101, where you can stop in Santa
Barbara and San Luis Obispo, it takes about 7 hours. If you take
1, which is the route that mostly hugs the coast, it takes about 10
hours. Communities you might want to stop in include Santa Barbara,
Pismo Beach, San Luis Obispo, Cambria, Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey,
Santa Cruz. Each has its own charms, depending on what you want
to see.

I don't know where else to suggest -- when I do the drive, I just want to
get where I'm going as soon as I can.

Incidently, there are far better things to see in and around LA than
Universal Studios, which is nothing more than a theme park, and has little
to nothing to do with film making.

Has anyone have any suggestions
which towns are the best to stop by? Since the first part of this
vacation will be rather intense, the few days along h-way 1 we'd like
to be more "lazy" and relaxing.
Thanks for all advices!

Sonia

http://www.dietplans4u.org

Old July 10th, 2004, 03:04 PM
PTRAVEL

"Cathy Kearns" wrote in message
m...

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message

It's only about a six hour drive. One place definitely worth stopping

is
Hearst Castle. There's a nice little town called Cambria about 10 miles
south of San Simeon. There are some nice bed-and-breakfasts,

restaurants
and antique shops there.

It's only about a six hour drive if one were to take highway 5, a dull
speedway through the central valley, where you see nothing but
farmland and fields. If you take 101, where you can stop in Santa
Barbara and San Luis Obispo, it takes about 7 hours.

I just did the trip on 101 (I agree -- 5 is too boring) on July 4th weekend.
It took me 6 hours, each way.

Old July 11th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Icono Clast

"PTRAVEL" wrote:
I just did the trip on 101 . . . It took me 6 hours, each way.

I don't believe you. It's about 425 miles from Pershing Square to
Civic Center Plaza. You'd have to average 71mph meaning that you'd
have to drive faster than 90mph. I don't believe you did. Care to try
to convince me?

I consider the trip on Calfornia Highway 1 (about 450 miles) to be one
of twelve hours.

I consider the trip on US Highway 101 (about 425 miles) to be one of
eight hours.

I consider the trip on InterState Highway 5 (about 400 miles) to be
one of a bit more than six and a half hours.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old July 11th, 2004, 03:29 PM
PTRAVEL

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
om...
"PTRAVEL" wrote:
I just did the trip on 101 . . . It took me 6 hours, each way.

I don't believe you. It's about 425 miles from Pershing Square to
Civic Center Plaza. You'd have to average 71mph meaning that you'd
have to drive faster than 90mph. I don't believe you did. Care to try
to convince me?

It's 407 miles from my apartment to my destination in Woodland Hills.
That's an average speed of 68 mph. I drive straight through, stopping only
once for gas.

I consider the trip on Calfornia Highway 1 (about 450 miles) to be one
of twelve hours.

I've never taken the Highway 1 route.

I consider the trip on US Highway 101 (about 425 miles) to be one of
eight hours.

And I consider it a little over 6 hours.